[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, I heard you like books and I need your help. I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1436399242003.jpg (225 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1436399242003.jpg
225 KB, 1280x1024
Hey /lit/,

I heard you like books and I need your help. I have an idea for writing a novel, my grammar is shitty and I don't read enough but I have a shitty idea.

Tell me how shitty it is, feel free to completely tear me apart. If you'd read it, assuming the prose is decent then tell me how I could improve it.

- The future and humans have evolved in to hybrid animals
- Sea people, flying people, people who hunt like tigers, people who are big big big
- There was mass extinction on earth and we lost most of our animals
- We had to leave the planet and find another one in another galaxy that was almost identical
- A scientist wanted to recreate old animals but unable to
- Has to be recreated within a living thing
- Made people/animal hybrids
- Eventually animal hybrids took over
- Now there are not many original humans left
- Huge people/animal hybrids rule new earth
- And they battle
- They started off kind of stupid but evolved to be smarter
- Now they are discovering how to use the electronics and space travel that make created by their human ancestors
- They will be able to battle in space maybe?

Other possible idea

- After his only close relationship ends a neurotic loner finds some confidence by sabotaging other people’s relationships, eventually things are out of hand, he's a complete dick, somehow transitions to chad. The development of this character is similar to Lester Nygaard in Fargo, if you've seen it.

No, I am not a serious writer, I just want to create something. Something that doesn't make people cringe too much.

Thanks in advance
>>
I probably wouldn't be interested in any sort of furry novel, no.

You're making a fundamental newbie error here of thinking that the idea for the plot is what's important. You could have the most innovative and interesting plot in the world, but it's nothing without the writing that frames it. Not just the prose style but the characters, their relationships and dialogue and so on. Work on your writing, what you actually write about is mostly irrelevant.
>>
>>7524108
>how did I not notice that it's furry as fuck

You're probably right, but I find it difficult to write anything without a plot. Though I am only just starting out.

Writing is fucking difficult.
>>
>>7524122
Start by writing some short plot arcs, perhaps set within that universe if you like. Some minor characters in little conflicts that would be important to the plot.
It's not difficult so much as a slog, time consuming.
>>
>>7524031
Why is the scientist doing this again? In order to have a sustainable supply of meat or is he just an eccentric faggot who likes to create abominations?

Whatever you figure the story out to be doesn't matter without proper writing, well developed characters and their relationships. Your plot may be impeccable and holeless but without the things >>7524122 mentioned your story is not gonna go far.
>>
>>7524108
>not reading for the plot
There's a reason King is the king of novelists.
>>
Honestly, I like your first idea better. They're both pretty played out ideas, but the second one needs serious finesse to be done well, whereas the first just needs to be fun.

Don't listen to people who say, "Don't write for plot, you need good prose," etc. because that's not what the majority of people read for, and a pulpy sci-fi story like the one you described almost NEVER has good prose. /lit/ is out of touch in the same way that /mu/ is, just bear that in mind when asking for advice here.
>>
>>7524170
Are you deliberately misreading my posts? I wasn't telling him he needs some sort of god-tier prosaic stylings to make his book worth reading, but it needs some level of polish at least. The sort of pulpy sci-fi plot he gave is fine but any other plot could be just as good. There's nothing either groundbreaking or wrong with his plot, it's just not very important.
>>
>>7524031
The idea is stupid, and you shouldn't bother writing if you have bad grammar.
>>
is this a sequel to The Island of Dr. Moreau?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.