[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anyone else on here addicted to buying books on Amazon? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
File: url.jpg (8 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
8 KB, 318x159
Is anyone else on here addicted to buying books on Amazon? I mean, lots and lots of books, especially used books that are just a few dollars (+3.99 shipping)?

I don't even know how I have the money to buy all the books I buy!! And my "to be read" pile would take me 5 years to read through anyway at this point.

I keep saying to myself, "Okay, after these books, no more until I've read everything I have," but I never can wait! I just ordered 18 books, all at once, and they were all used, so I'll have to go to the post office to pick them up, and carry home a giant pile of materialistic shame all at once.
>>
File: 1440449490566.jpg (15 KB, 250x238) Image search: [Google]
1440449490566.jpg
15 KB, 250x238
>>7522888
>>
>>7522888
You don't have Prime and you buy that many books?
>>
>>7522888
Were you ever part of those mail order book clubs in the 1990s?

I have a library that is around 10k books. Half educational/research in some manner, half in fiction.
>>
I forgot to mention, I think part of the reason I buy so many books, especially used ones, is that I have a fear that any nice hardcover book I see that isn't still in print will be completely unavailable in a few years.

Does anyone else worry that books won't be as easily obtainable in 20 years, given the plummeting reading rates and profits for publishers, and that we only have a few years to amass all of our hardcopy reading for the rest of our lives?
>>
>>7522896

I do have Prime!! But often times I still order used books because they're available in hardcover or are cheaper. (Or sometimes the book just isn't able to be shipped with Prime)
>>
>>7522899
iktf
hoard them now
>>
File: 1450919554676.gif (1 MB, 500x210) Image search: [Google]
1450919554676.gif
1 MB, 500x210
>>7522899
>just read books from the cloud on your phone!
>i have like millions of books to choose from

>mfw
>>
Prime probably saved me about $300 in shipping this year.
>>
I'm a student in Canada so I get free 2-day shipping. I buy like two books a week. My cache is huge
>>
>>7522888
Unfortunately you do not also buy the time to read them. There is nothing wrong with buying books though. Don't get memed by poor NEETs into feeling shame, all intelligent adults have lined bookshelves in their home.

It is only pathetic if you stockpile them strictly to show off.
>>
>>7522929

Oh no, I keep the books I haven't read in a box (several boxes, many boxes) in the closet. I hate having books out on my shelves that I haven't read.
>>
>>7522888
>>7522899
I'm right there with you OP. I have a fear that older, rarer books will be lost to me, so I snatch them up quick for cheap now and hoard them until I get the time to read them. I do make a significant dent in my backlog, but at this point I've accepted that I probably won't have the time, energy or space to read them all. It's just good to know I have them there.

P.S. I like it when I buy a book for cheap then find out it suddenly became rarer and more expensive shortly afterward. I'm not a collector but I do get the sense that I've just saved it from obscurity (at least for myself).
>>
>>7522939
I understand this. Having the books on the shelves gives the impression to other people that you've already read them.
>>
>>7522888
>>7522923
even though there is a amazon warehouse in my city and the free 2-3 day shipping only takes 1 day 90% of the time, I still prefer to buy from chapters because its the same price, same shipping time, and the books don't look like they've been kicked around on a dirty floor before I get them.

amazon has a serious fucking problem with keeping their 'new' books looking new. I've had to deal with bent pages, notable dirt on the outside of the pages when the book is closed, hardcover jackets being ripped up, the bottom of the spine of one hardcover being bent inward at an angle, etc.
>>
>>7522888
I do this a bit with local charity shops, but doing it with Amazon sounds like financial suicide.
>>
Hi, anon, my name is Mark and I'm addicted to buying books off of Amazon
>>
I just bought 5 books a couple of days ago.
I still have 6 books I need to finish.
>>
>>7522888

I'm the same, approx 50 unread books in my room, most of them are brand new copies as well. Made myself a new rule that I have to clear 2 from the unread pile before I buy a new book.
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 634x478) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 634x478
I put books on my shelf that I haven't read yet...
>>
I'm addicted to buying books from thrift stores, anyone else?
>>
>>7525370
are thift stores secondhand shops?
then yes

>tfw book is already well-worn so it looks like you've read it even if you never do
>>
Completely ridiculous. Take them to a used bookstore, sell them and buy an ereader. Fell free to horde free ebooks. You'll find that you will actually read more as books will lose their fetishistic quality.
>>
Sucks that Prime doesn't work in my country(I think).

It only gives free shipping for shipments within you country right?

As I live in Sweden, I won't get free shipping buying books from the US or UK right?
>>
>>7525384
top pleb

have fun destroying your vision for the sake of vastly reduced retention.
>>
>>7522888
>And my "to be read" pile would take me 5 years to read through anyway at this point.

fēl
>>
File: BAS.png (1 MB, 595x763) Image search: [Google]
BAS.png
1 MB, 595x763
>>
my worst shame is buying different editions of books I've already read and already own when I see them in used stores
>>
>>7522929
Those poor meets actually have the time to read them, though.
Why would you buy something you won't ever read?
Hell, I feel guilty myself for buying a second-hand, cheap book while having a backlog larger than 2 books.
>>
>>7525585
I keep seeing this posted everywhere, probably by the author no doubt, but ill bite-
Is it good?
>>
There's no rest from the shame. You might get to a book you bought years ago and since your tastes have changed since then you don't enjoy it.
>>
>>7525370
Ohh yes, Goodwills and Salvation Army outlets. I've probaly funded a cancer ward or some shit with the amount of books I buy.
>>
>go to the US last summer
>buy a bunch of books at the Strand in NYC
>buy some at Citylights in San Fran, at some place in seattle and a second hand store in Bozeman, MT
>suitcase is 5kg over the weight limit
>have to throw out loads of stuff and carry two books under my arm when i check in
>>
File: 1429753811445.png (284 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1429753811445.png
284 KB, 480x480
>>7525367
>>7522939
What use does anyone have for a shelf of books you've already read? I go back to my favorites a lot but I always want there to be a selection of things to start fresh on.

My backlog is about 3/5 of my shelf but i don't hide them in the closet because I'm afraid someone will get the wrong idea.
>>
File: f9FW2.gif (2 MB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
f9FW2.gif
2 MB, 240x180
>>7522896

Holy shit

I've bought dozens of books and paid shipping on all of them.

fuck, I'd order like 5 books at the same time to get free shipping
>>
>>7526164
There's some great shit there. I find really really valuable books for like $2.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.