[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm turning 24 in one minute. Is it too late for me to create
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
I'm turning 24 in one minute.
Is it too late for me to create something of literary worth or am i destined to fade away into obscurity working some shitty job?

4 pages into my novel which i've been writing for over a year.....
>>
>>7521988
Why be so fucking negative, there's a new year beginning. Discipline yourself to write between 500-1000 words every day. You're worth the effort.
>>
Fuark OP, I'm turning 24 in March 2016. Tell me what it's like to have officially lost your youth, soul, spirit, freedom, and brio.
>>
Happy birthday, OP.

To be honest you're probably destined to fade into obscurity and work a shitty job, but that's what pretty much everyone does so you have nothing to lose by writing.

Plenty of writers got published when they were way older than you.

And remember, everyone and everything will perish and nothing will have mattered, so mattering a bit less for a few seconds is no big deal.
>>
File: Crying Cat.png (295 KB, 603x488) Image search: [Google]
Crying Cat.png
295 KB, 603x488
>>7522015
>You're worth the effort.
That's all I ever wanted to hear you say Dad...
>>
>>7522015
I'll do my best, thanks for the encouragement.

>>7522034
A sudden wave of wisdom washes over you as the clock strikes midnight. This is accompanied by the knowledge that there are thousands, if not millions, of people that do you what you love better than you can.

>>7522043
I suppose you're right. It's just when I was younger I always assumed that by my age i'd already have it all figured out. That i'd be on my way to make something of myself. I suppose I just have to keep at it, and all that good stuff.

Pic is something fun i saw a while ago. The average life span represented by dots. It's only filled in to about 19 1/2 because i haven't personalised it, but I still think it's a nice image.
>>
>>7522139
Hey, I have one of these printed out and the bubbles filled in in one of my drawers somewhere. It used to hang up on my wall but I had to take it down because it stressed me out too much looking at it.
>>
4 pages in a year? I wrote 4 pages tonight dude after I put my 2 year old daughter to sleep and I have an exam on the 18th January get a grip and write more
>>
Happy Birthday OP! Maybe you could try camp nano (runs april and july, can do flexible word counts) or nano (50k in a month) in November? I find even if I don't reach my word count goal that it gives me a boost and helps to be "held accountable" for a daily word count or lack there of.

You could even grab a writer friend if you have one and report in with each other how many words you've written each day. I've done this before when I've been in a bad slump, and done "word sprints" vs. eachother (who can write the most in 5 mins to a half hour solidly writing). It helps to have people to bounce ideas off of or to kick your ass when need be too.

Start with a small amount of words each day and increase, soon enough writing 1k+ a day will be piss easy.

Your first draft will be total shite anyway, try not to over think your words and keeping going back to edit. The aim here is to get some words on paper, not produce your magnum opus straight out of the gate.
>>
>>7521988
Bro I'm 24 and I write 6.000 words a day
>>
File: 1431279012441.jpg (98 KB, 500x589) Image search: [Google]
1431279012441.jpg
98 KB, 500x589
>>7522155
Yeah, i find it to be simultaneously satisfying and unnerving.

>>7522164
I suppose I just keep putting it off telling myself that 'next month', when i have less extra-writing tasks to do, that i'll be in a better position to focus.
I guess that's just a shitty mentality to have and I'll work on improving, a new year's resolution perhaps.

>>7522168
Yeah i think i'll do that. I have a cousin who writes a lot, maybe I'll start talking to him more. I have found that when we spend time together i do get a creativity boost. There's a quote or something like that which says that the people who you spend the most time around shape who you are as a person.

>>7522174
I'm very happy for you.
>>
>>7522174
>6.000
Do you mean 6,000 or 6?
>>
>>7521988

There are many artists who created their best work in their later years. Won't happen for you though. Nor me, I'm 27 and my mind is shot to pieces from 10 years of drug abuse.
>>
>>7522139
People who have things 'figured out' in their early twenties are just people who stagnate at that age. People who have things figured out also don't write so good.

Being a grown up is a meme to be honest, mostly people honestly just mean resignation by it even if they don't always realise it.
>>
>>7521988
Keats died when he was 25.

Just kill yourself, OP.
>>
>>7522139
>39
>young adult

wut
>>
>>7522238
>There's a quote or something like that which says that the people who you spend the most time around shape who you are as a person.
What happens if you stay alone all the time?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.