[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The obsessive hatred, bordering on psychosis, againstproducts—
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: Schopenhauer.jpg (14 KB, 300x358) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer.jpg
14 KB, 300x358
>The obsessive hatred, bordering on psychosis, againstproducts— i.e. against man-made objects — seems to be the hallmark of the pseudo-intellectual today. Hatred of consumption, a problem which no sane, healthy person has ever had. As if food and clothes, as if eating or dressing were bad. Such is the pseudo-intellectual's craving to appear to be raging at something, that he will rage at life's basic necessitities if need be.

Admit it, this is true. Zizek et al tie themselves up in knots trying to logically explain why the core of capitalism is shit but they just can't do it
>>
>Rail against mindless, materialistic consumer plebs and their filthy acquisition of things

>spend lots of money on pretty hardcover books, lust after other people's bookshelves
>>
Zizek hardly has a hatred for consumption.
>>
>>7521510
Wow, did Schopenhauer really say this? God damn

>>7521538
this is true
>>
File: 2+2=5.png (274 KB, 642x353) Image search: [Google]
2+2=5.png
274 KB, 642x353
>>7521510
>there are people on /lit/ right who think consumption = capitalism
>>
More wisdom from the Overman.
>>
Read Thoreau. It's true that a lot of pseudo-intellectuals hate consumption for because it is trendy, but that doesn't mean there aren't good reasons to be critical of consumerism.
>>
>>7521510
Have you ever read Zizek?

Don't bother responding to me, we both know the truth.
>>
>>7521998

I tried reading living in the end times but found it incomprehensible despite understanding his layman lectures on YouTube related to the book.
>>
File: 21394049iu.jpg (1 MB, 1999x1371) Image search: [Google]
21394049iu.jpg
1 MB, 1999x1371
>>7521510
>As if food and clothes, as if eating or dressing were bad.
They are. Go back to the cynics, medieval hermits, or even the OT wisdom books.
>>
>>7522087
Why??????????????????????????????
>>
fuck your icycalm meme op
>>
>>7521510
If you think Marxism is against material goods or consuming you're a silly pleb who would do well to end himself, dear original poster.
>>
>>7522087
love this painting
>>
>>7522087
Awesome picture anon
>>
File: a98640_digambara.jpg (107 KB, 450x221) Image search: [Google]
a98640_digambara.jpg
107 KB, 450x221
>>7522087
you must mean the based and ancient Jain dighambara sect
>>
As far as I can tell, most critique of capitalism is primarily humanistic & moralistic-- humanistic in the sense that capitalism is critiqued on the grounds of dehumanization, on the grounds of alteration in people's perception of the self & others (value), and on the grounds of illusion, as in people believing that capitalism is a good thing for humanity-- moralistic in the sense that capitalism is immoral period, as it necessarily implicates exploitation, oppression, and domination.

However, Marxism and critique of capitalism unfortunately began during a paradigm shift in the humanities towards anti-humanism and amoralism, for these humanism and moralism are viewed as products of the Enlightenment, and in our "post-Enlightenment", "post-modern" thought, we are skeptical of system-building and value in general.

Therefore, most critics of capitalism these days are torn between a genuine moralistic impulse to attack what's evil in capitalism and a strong inter-social awareness that any realism or system-building will be viewed by other academics & authors as hegemonic or bearing the seeds of totalitarianism or whatever.

Basically, critics of capitalism are in an unfortunate position these days: they want value, real value, but they've become skeptical if not paranoid about value due to past abuse of systems of value.
>>
File: relaxing_night.png (285 KB, 760x756) Image search: [Google]
relaxing_night.png
285 KB, 760x756
>>7521510
When I read that quote I think of bored rich people, or complaining about quality of products, or vain people complaining about other peoples style,

I don't really see how this would be an attack on the economic system of capitalism

>>7522639
Sounds only like a problem of academics, but not, for example, activists. Academic critiques are what's fun - like Zizek. But this isn't what it should all be about anyway.
>>
>>7522639
>marxism
>post-modern

you what m8? marxism is as modernist as you can get.
>>
>>7522685
Maybe Marxism par excellence, but there's no denying that the post-modern critical platter at any university is identity politics, psychoanalysis, and Marxist critical theory.
>>
>>7522706
they're as marxist as foucault is a nietzschean

don't trust french kidnappers of ideology
>>
>>7522606
>that one dude with the glasses
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.