[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Pratchett?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: discworld-3.jpg (65 KB, 413x443) Image search: [Google]
discworld-3.jpg
65 KB, 413x443
Thoughts on Pratchett?
>>
A couple years ago a friend of mine was staying over. We went to the library to check out some DVDs to watch. We returned with a documentary about corn production in the US and a cartoon adaptation of Discworld.

Is discworld not a children's book?
>>
>>7521439
Nah man.
>>
>>7521439
Some of it is fairly adult in theme. Anyway, kids wouldn't understand some of it very well. It's written in a way that child could read it though.

I've grown to enjoy the Discworld books. They're very entertaining. I don't read them for the same reason I read Pynchon.
>>
>>7521490
It's like slowly sipping an enjoyable drink.
>>
Too much reddit style lazy irony.
>>
>>7521428
Comfiest books ever.
I'm literaly reading Carpe Jugulum under an immense thick cover, on my couch.
Feels fucking amazing.
>>
Sure is reddit around here.
>>
Seems to me like almost all the books are based on the same storytelling pattern. Something happens and drags the hero into a chaotic set of events to fall back conveniently to the initial situation. It's quite well written but after a while, it gets old.
>>
File: Yukari.png (912 KB, 941x531) Image search: [Google]
Yukari.png
912 KB, 941x531
>>7522028
>it gets old

Sounds like a personal problem to me.

>Rincewind: 8 novels (+ 2 short stories)
>Witches: 6 novels (+ the 4 kids stories)
>Death: 5 novels
>Watch: 7 novels (+Where's My Cow)

And then there's the weird leftovers - Pyramids+Small Gods, and the 'Industrial Revolution' series of Moving Pictures, The Truth, Monstrous Regiment, +3 Moist von Lipwig books.

The man's wordplay is masterful.
>>
>>7522297
>The man's wordplay is masterful
kek

>Sounds like a personal problem to me.
>Rincewind: 8 novels (+ 2 short stories)
>Witches: 6 novels (+ the 4 kids stories)
>Watch: 7 novels (+Where's My Cow)

all follow the same pattern
>>
>>7522297
>Watch: 7 novels (+ Where's My Cow)

+The World of Poo, which is way better than a book called "The World of Poo" has any right to be.
>>
>>7522297
His early, non-Disc stuff is really interesting - managed to track down Strata last month and it's a diamond in the rough. Apparently he liked Nation best of all his books, too.
>>
File: StCgryF.jpg (991 KB, 2600x2061) Image search: [Google]
StCgryF.jpg
991 KB, 2600x2061
>>7522336
>>7522371
I'll have to give them both a shot. I am woefully behind on reading his other works, not even the Science of Discworld series.

Thank you for the recommendations.
>>
File: 62wVkB9.jpg (45 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
62wVkB9.jpg
45 KB, 500x500
>>7522325
>Pratchett didn't really want to write about DEATH as he got closer to dying
>>
Reading Small Gods right now

It's pretty okay so far. Enjoyable but im 75 pages in so far and not much has happened
>>
File: Discworld1 atuin.jpg (307 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Discworld1 atuin.jpg
307 KB, 1024x768
>>7521428
i loved it when i was 16 andi played video games. Funny and with cool plastic ideas
>>
please go back to reddit
>>
>>7522687
ky
>>
>>7522637
Pyramids and Small Gods are both pretty slow burners. It's like he just wanted to riff on the idea of "there's no actual guarantee your religion is better than others" for a few hundred pages at a time. Great for long trips, though.
>>
Dude! Discworld is totally. freakin'. awesome. It's smart and funny, not to mention just plain EPIC. It made me question my beliefs and shaped the person I am today.
>>
Discworld can be hit or miss, but the hits (Hogfather, Night Watch, Thief of Time, Lords and Ladies, Small Gods, Going Postal, Carpe Jugulum, I Shall Wear Midnight) are super comfy. His stuff can be repetitive, but most books have at least one interesting idea (dwarf gender expression/wannabe chinese Vetinari/Adora Belle and the Golems/Clacks towers/Fate and the Lady/Anoia/Well what's she doing in the Watch? She's a w- (werewolf)

Just wish he'd saved them up and combined them though.

Nation is a book I would buy for and read to my children.
>>
>>7521871
4/10 comfiness
>>
I bought The Colour of Magic and I got a bit bored. Dunno what it was, but I just didn't really care. Was a while ago though.

Is it worth reading?
>>
>>7523262
it's good for a chuckle and that's about all
>>
>>7523194
Who is the Chinese Vetinari? I can only think of Cosmo Lavish from 'Making Money'.

>>7523262
It's one of the slowest. Feel free to skip it and go straight to The Light Fantastic instead, or Sourcery. If not, maybe the Rincewind series just isn't for you. I know some people really dislike the Witches series, but I've never met anyone who didn't like the novels with Death in them.
>>
>>7523262
Yeah they didn't get really good for a few books - feel free to skip to Mort, Pyramids, Moving Pictures etc.
>>
>>7523262

I didn't much care for any of the books involving Rincewind. Except for Interesting Times, although I did live in China and Vietnam for four years, so it may not have the same appeal for you.
>>
>>7521428
Went to a bookstore and saw some of his books on a shelf. Told my friend that I don't really care about Pratchett anymore. Turns out that was the same day he died.
>>
Night Watch.
>>
>>7522297
>Not mentioning "Thief of Time," literally his best book
>>
>>7524496
What a coincidence, I'm back on /lit/ right now.

I thought 'Thief of Time' was definitely a Death story. That Ronnie Soak storyline, with the horsemen of the apocalypse?
>>
>>7524514
You're right, I now realize I am a pleb.

Been years since I read Pratchett, I just remember the story of the time-preserving monks and the master clockmaker being so good that it's stuck in my mind ever since. The Death storyline really seemed to just be an aside to the main drama.
>>
One of the more interesting fantasy writers. The books are interesting on their own but moreso when you catch all the parody and reference.
>>
>>7524530
Patrician status: Vetinari
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.