[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/ I used to be big on reading but then I started to rot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: 1434192013413.gif (761 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1434192013413.gif
761 KB, 500x500
Hey /lit/ I used to be big on reading but then I started to rot my mind with video games.

Now I want to get back into reading, but it's been a while and I don't have any good leads on a book to pick up.

What are some page turners? The kind of thing where I will feel the need to finish in one sitting?
>>
File: bakeneko_by_reicheran-d8celyd.jpg (180 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bakeneko_by_reicheran-d8celyd.jpg
180 KB, 1280x720
Basically anything that will not be recommended by the pretentious wankers on this board.
>>
>>7519584
Okay.

So can I get a ton of recommendations.

That way I can avoid those books. :^)
>>
>>7519586
>>
>>7519586

If you've destroyed your attention span with video games, get books with really short chapters, or read children's books (I mean novels, not picture books). Then in a few years, you'll be able to read other stuff.

So go read The Hunger Games or The Maze Runner or something like that.

Or classic children's lit like Charlotte's Web, Chronicles of Narnia, His Dark Materials. But don't read any Victorian children's literature yet.
>>
The Collector - John Fowles

I found this book a pretty quick read. I wanted to find out what would happen in the end. I don't know Anon it's different for everyone. Try reading short books for a while until you get your attention span back up. Sometimes you're in the mood to read 200 pages a day and sometimes you're just not.
>>
File: 1349987327145.png (2 MB, 728x2680) Image search: [Google]
1349987327145.png
2 MB, 728x2680
>>7519577
I'm in the same boat you're in pall but I just didn't read anything for four years and my attention span became like a fuckin gnat's

I'd say start with Slaughterhouse Five on that bottom section there and work your way up. Don't feel grounded to the guide though, just use it for reference.
>>
File: frog3432.jpg (65 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
frog3432.jpg
65 KB, 900x900
>>7519617
>Moby-Dick
>The Sound and the Fury
>Hard Mode
>Blood Meridian
>Moderate

Ok thanks. Now I know /lit/ is full of pretentious faggots who don't even read books and put fucking high school required reading as "Hard Mode".
>>
>>7520061
Also read Blood Meridian, at least if your male. It will give you a new perspective on life as a man and as an American.

Also, don't read The Sound and the Fury, ITS SHIT, and you'll be called a racist by a hot bisexual Latina acquaintance if you're caught reading it.
>>
>>7520077
>your
you're. FUCK

Sorry, I'm tired and autistically mad.
>>
>>7519617
I find it so weird how someone can like Ulysses and not FW.
>>
>>7520061
How the FUCK is BM anything other than moderate?
Or are you implying it's easier, if that's the case, nevermind.
>>
>>7520085
you can probably count the # of people on this board who've actually read (actually read, not just skim the words on the page so they can check it off on their list) both books on your fingers.
>>
Start with Forever war. Its a light read.

I am in the same boat as you and ive been getting back into reading too. I liked Night by that jewish guy, the kiterunner and catch 22.
>>
>>7520088
I might just be masturbatory here, as I liked Blood Meridian more than the other two mentioned books.

I also found its diction to be much harder to grasp on the initial read through than the other two.

As a book, it requires more prior knowledge of the historical setting in which it takes place than Moby-Dick or The Sound and the Fury. Even if you know your history, you're going to have to do your research on the characters within this work, some of which are fictional but based on actual historical characters, such as the Judge or the Captain.

Plus, because of McCarthy's sparse prose, the reader is going to have to strain himself a little more than when reading Faulkner or Melville, to come up the with inner meaning of the events within Blood Meridian. With Faulkner, you can find the meaning if you look deep enough, and cut up and untangle the stream of consciousness prose. Melville literally tells you the deeper meaning of everything that occurs within Moby-Dick through Ishmael, which can get dull and grating pretty fast.
>>
here are books i couldn't put down:
Neuromancer by Wm Gibson
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny
Sewer, Gas, & Electric by Matt Ruff
>>
>>7520112
>Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
fuckkin dropped
>>
>>7519577
What do you like?
You could probably just go with the 'standard' ones from the (shitty part) of the western canon, like 1984, a clockwork orange etc.
Or Blood Meridian, pretty much everyone likes it and it is a very enjoyable read.
>>
>>7520115
it's perfect for someone who plays vidya
>>
>>7520110
Plus all the obscure biblical connotations in Blood Meridian.

Faulkner does that shit too, but as a person who was raised Episcopalian, I can get by pretty easy. I don't think anyone could get all the biblical allusions within Blood Meridian unless they've memorized the entire Old and New Testament by rote.
>>
>>7520089
I'm pretty sure he meant gibberish as in near-incomprehensible, not 'without literary merit'
>>
File: 1446420210491.jpg (3 MB, 1820x4348) Image search: [Google]
1446420210491.jpg
3 MB, 1820x4348
>>7519577

avoid all these
>>
>>7519577
TCoL49
Catch-22
The Catcher in the Rye
>>
File: 1451484547459.gif (2 MB, 292x351) Image search: [Google]
1451484547459.gif
2 MB, 292x351
I'm pretty pleb and have a very short attention span. There's so many things to mention that I'll just write whatever comes to mind...
ASoIaF (even as a re-read, I blasted through it without being bored, and I've even watched the show)

The Prince of Nothing series

No Country For Old Men/Blood Meridian

Most 40K books, especially those from the Horus Heresy (you don't have to read them all)

The Accursed Kings

Conquistador (nonfiction)

A War Like No Other (nonfiction)

Anything by Dostoevsky and Capote and Dumas

Lonesome Dove

Witcher books

John le Carre's spy series

desu senpai I think most books that are fun to read tend to be nonfiction, especially historical ones that deal with an entire war/civilization, since they go by at a fast speed and it's choke-full of details, unlike biographies, which tend to move at a fucking snail's pace
As for things I find overrated as fuck and wouldn't recommend:

>anything considered 'patrician' fantasy like gormenghast and the king of the elfland's daughter
>anything by sanderson
>anything related to the elric saga
>the malazan series as it just gets shittier and shittier with every doorstopper
>the name of the wind series is pure garbage with barely a plot there and is written by a hack who likes to self-insert

And lastly,

>anything written by a woman

I have yet to read a single book written by a woman (fiction, that is) that's even moderately entertaining. The ones where the main character is a female are okay, but whenever they try to write a male character it's just so fucking cringe I want to kill myself.
>>
Murakami is pretty nice to read.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.