[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is his critical acclaim only because he's black?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: 385070-marlon-james.jpg (25 KB, 438x400) Image search: [Google]
385070-marlon-james.jpg
25 KB, 438x400
Is his critical acclaim only because he's black?
>>
I haven't read Seven Killings yet (I got it for Christmas) so I dunno.
I think he's pretty cool though. I did read an interview with him where he was talking about how he wanted to write a novel about vikings. He didn't like being locked into certain topics because of his ethnicity/sexual orientation and I can respect that.
>>
>>7519283
No. Seven Killings is BOTY 2015
>>
I haven't read Seven Killings yet and won't till sometime middle of next year but pretty much everybody whose opinion on books I care about that has enjoyed it. Even my hard as fuck to please former English prof liked it.

So I can't say with any real opinion of my own but it does seem at least somewhat deserved.
>>
File: Ta-Nehisi Coates.jpg (126 KB, 640x420) Image search: [Google]
Ta-Nehisi Coates.jpg
126 KB, 640x420
>>
>>7519509
no, BOTY 2014
>>
>>7519536
I'm glad Marlon James exists because it means we get to stop pretending that Ta-Nehisi Coates is a good writer. Thank God, it was getting really strenuous.
>>
>>7519939

/pol/ shitposting on other boards used to never be as fucking bad as it is nowadays.

I don't know what brought you fucks to leave your containment board but I don't like it.
>>
>>7519950

I remember when /pol/ reopened and moot said the second it became /stormfront/ again he would axe it.

Fucker never did live up to that promise.
>>
Well, has anyone here actually read it? If it's good I might want to pick it up.
>>
>>7519966
I think he just stopped caring about this site.
>>
>>7519980
please stop it's just tiring to watch
>>
>>7519980
But you people actually ARE Nazis!
>>
>>7519283
I wasn't even aware he was black until I saw this post. So probably no.
>>
File: 1434677441595.gif (857 KB, 240x228) Image search: [Google]
1434677441595.gif
857 KB, 240x228
>>7519969
>reading anything other than what was written by white dead males
>>
File: 1428720073819.jpg (21 KB, 598x369) Image search: [Google]
1428720073819.jpg
21 KB, 598x369
>>7519958
>to the top
>reddit
>>
File: General_Gordon's_Last_Stand.jpg (85 KB, 586x800) Image search: [Google]
General_Gordon's_Last_Stand.jpg
85 KB, 586x800
>tfw reaping his old reward
>the blame of those ye better
>the hate of those ye guard
>>
>black guy writing about race
can they do anything other than le that?
>>
>>7519966

He said that about /new/ actually, not /pol/ which came after. And he did follow through on that.
>>
File: Chateau_Wood_Ypres_1917.jpg (129 KB, 800x769) Image search: [Google]
Chateau_Wood_Ypres_1917.jpg
129 KB, 800x769
>>7519826
This.

I read his piece about his life in the NYT Magazine a while back and it sounded interesting. My GF's sister (who attends the same college where he teachers) gave me a copy of his Man Booker novel for Christmas. The topic (Bob Marley) made me a bit queasy, and I haven't read it yet.

Anyone else have an experience with the book?
>>
>>7520055

And get the approval of white men? No.
>>
>>7520004
although ur b8ing thx for posting that reaction image, saved :^)
>>
>>7519283
no, he seems to be the real deal, basically this
>>7519536
>>
>>7520055
Confirmed for knowing anything about the book

>>7520101
It's great. I'll admit that I find Marley pretty fascinating, but beyond that it's brilliantly written and could provide a pleasurable and engaging read for someone who despises him all the same.
>>
>>7519283
Nope, he's fucking based. Seven Killings has Tarantino levels of violence, which is why I think a lot of people like it, but it's not gratuitous. but he is actually a really good writer. maybe it's because he writes in patois, which I like, but even when he's writing normally, he's really good.

Plus he's actually cool irl.
>>
>>7519283
It might have helped put him into the spotlight because British critics are continually amazed that black people know how to write well.
>>
>>7519283
Yes. It's literally impossible for a white man to get published in 2015. Next year will only be worse. Your personal failure has nothing to do with your chimera-like combination of mediocrity and misplaced confidence. Working a real job is for losers. Developing your sensitivity as an artist, honing your skills, practicing empathy: these are all a waste of time. Moisturize your cock. Eat your Hot Pocketâ„¢. Blame liberalism.
>>
I'm 315 pages in at the moment (I got it for Christmas) and I'm loving it. He's a very good writer and the patois thing is not just a gimmick like I feared. His characters' voices are convincing and he manages to slip in some sharp imagery and figurative language without coming across as writerly and taking you out of the characters' heads. The novel is successfully polyphonic, and although his white American characters are rather stereotyped it's kind of funny in a "Wardine be cry" sort of way (but with the races flipped). I am particularly impressed by his Nina Burgess character, she rings very true. The story itself is fast paced and full of action but complexly tragic and loaded with strong themes, not just political but also universally human.
>>
>>7519283
I've read all three of his books, he is a mad genius. The imagery in John Crow and Night Women is haunting, and seven killings is awesome.
>>
>>7520055
He writes about Jamaica, in John crows devil there are no white people, and in seven killings whitey is a journalist whom the author is sympathetic too and the CIA. The really fucking evil monsters are all black in seven killings.

He's my new favorite author, and his next book is a low fantasy epic in a Malian type kingdom, so I'm pretty excited.
>>
>>7520652
John Crow's Devil
https://u.pomf.is/gepqha.epub

Book of Night Women
https://u.pomf.is/fghvjf.epub

Brief History of Seven Killings
https://u.pomf.is/tgzuxc.epub

IMO Nightwomen is his best, its about a group of older black female slaves in 18th century Jamaica who become powerful witches. Its sort of Roots meets American Horror Story (in a good way)

John Crow's Devil is about two preachers who battle for the souls of a small Jamaican town in the mountains
>>
>>7519283
It can't have hurt in the end, but reliable readers were saying very good things about the book well before it was announced in the prize.
>>
>>7519299
http://mashable.com/2015/12/18/marlon-james-on-pandering/#qZ_VKeaKj8q2

Its his current topic of obsession, he has had a lot of trouble publishing because "there is no chance white women will read what you write"
>>
>>7520101
I thought Marley was portrayed as an uncle tom who was disrespected by most of the characters in the book.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.