[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did Michael Pemulis get so cool? Every passage including
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_m5ifphlUqz1qzikspo1_1280.jpg (248 KB, 670x1006) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m5ifphlUqz1qzikspo1_1280.jpg
248 KB, 670x1006
How did Michael Pemulis get so cool? Every passage including him is hilarious and fun and makes me nostalgic for hanging out with friends fucking around in high school.
>>
Cuz the Peemster don't give a fuck.
>>
He's a sociopath. They tend to have magnetic personalities and inspire weaker people to admire them and want to imitate them. Wallace himself said Pemulis was written to be one of the Antichrists of the novel. Personally, I'm with Wallace, because that's all I saw. A mean, manipulative bully.
>>
File: 1404188862642.png (56 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1404188862642.png
56 KB, 256x256
Micheal Penisless
>>
>>7518822
Hardly a bully, he didn't show malice towards his little buddies outside of the Eschaton incident and he saves Hals ass over the whole thing.
>>
>>7518835
And of course, as for any sociopath normal people you have to deal with, you have the apologists.
>>
>>7518857
What does he do that's sociopathic?
>>
>>7518822
David Foster Wallace is a Dostoevskian. He doesn't know how to interpret characters who suffer bad outcomes but by imagining them as evil and as somehow deserving. He takes this into reality, where everything becomes a symbol and moral lesson - cite: his comments on HIV.
>>
>>7518867
He gives people drugs, dude. He doesn't vote Reagan, man.
>>
>>7518877
>>7518857
He was a seventeen year old prodigy raised from a extremely discomforting family dynamic between his father (the less we get into that the better) and a brother turned male prostitute because of the psychic trauma he received as a child. Micheal getting kicked out of E.T.A. over either the deep rooted tradition of Eschaton or the accidental dosing of John Wayne will subsequently lead the gifted athlete and student into a life of poverty and blue collar suffering. Where his crime is not lying, but being an excellent liar, opposed to all the other characters secrets and stretches of the truth, Pemulis is somehow the anti-christ for being a apt-liar?
>>
I don't care why someone's asshole, if they're an asshole. Plenty of people have tough early lives and don't turn out to be jerks. Also, reminder that Hal was trying to get off drugs and improve his life and Pemulis actively manipulated him into staying on them.
>>
Are we also forgetting his turning the school therapist's door handle into a hot iron?
>>
File: image.jpg (714 KB, 1500x1943) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
714 KB, 1500x1943
>>7518911
Wallace DID say he was the antichrist... Also, he got kicked put for blackmailing Avril. She is in charge and suddenly had an ok enough reason to boot him. People who lie with straight faces are a serious drag on humanity. They are pieces of shit. Have you dealt with any extensively?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.