[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best translation of Don Quixote? I'm sure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: Donquixote[1].jpg (105 KB, 507x601) Image search: [Google]
Donquixote[1].jpg
105 KB, 507x601
What's the best translation of Don Quixote?

I'm sure I saw an infographic once with classic authors and /lit/'s preferred translations, if anyone has that I'll be very grateful.
>>
>>7517392

Grossman is highly favored
>>
>>7517392

The Spanish translation
>>
Grossman is overly mannered and fails to convey the humour imo. Rutherford is better.
>>
>>7517422
ayy

>>7517428
you sound like a total insufferable faggot, tbqh
>>
>>7517392
That chart is garbage OP literally looked up some names and slapped them on a chart. He didn't read any of them and it was completely bullshit.
>>
>>7517616
Most of it was just gathered in that thread from anons posting the edition they'd read and saying it was OK. I think Borges was the only one who got some comparative discussion and it was ignored.
So yes it's useless
>>
>>7517654
That dante chart is legit thoigh I wish we had more autists who are willing to do similar for other stuff.
>>
>>7517654
>Borges
>mug argentine infinite library man

He's a hack.
>>
>hipsters arrive to say that an old unpleasant translation 99.99999% of people won't enjoy reading is better than grossman because she seems "rather quite insalubrious, methinks.." and other vague things they ripped from reviews posted here on /lit/ even though they're some random dipshit undergrad who barely reads books and have no right to an opinion
>some poor idiot gets scared grossman is The Pleb Edition and runs out to get Ye Olde Tranflation by Chapman Crollingwell, d. 1804
>>
>>7517778
Rutherford only published his translation two years before Grossman IIRC and his English is actually a lot more idiomatic and smoother than hers. Grossman is the one whose prose is quite stuffy and pretentious.
>>
>>7517392
I'm Spanish. The best traduction is the original. I've got no words to describe it, paradoxically.
>>
File: translations.png (3 MB, 2000x2100) Image search: [Google]
translations.png
3 MB, 2000x2100
Always glad to post this chart. I know there are many on /lit/ who love it so much
>>
>>7517654
Borges is at least a 'famous' writer. That should mean something. And Spanish is his language.
>>
>>7517778
savage as fugg
>>
>>7517778
Keking hard at this shit
>>
>>7517905
>tfw you are not even english native, and chart has no use for you
>>
Probably between Rutherford and Grossman. Just pick out which one you like better.
>>
>>7517778
You just wait for that one faggot claiming that translations are not authentic enough. He WILL come, it's just a matter of time.
>>
>>7517428
This man. Listen to him. I read all of Grossman then went and looked at some Rutherford. Holy shit it was like night and day. Here was the humor i had been told about!
>>
>>7517392

the B&N Classics translation by Smollett and further notes and corrections by some other person was pretty good
>>
who /raffel/ here?
>>
>>7517428
>>7518082
I'd have assumed the excessively mannered speech would bring out the humour even more, especially for the poop scenes, why doesn't it?
>>
>>7518199
>>7518082
>>7517428
humour is not really that relevant. I'm Spanish, I've read the original, and yes, you laugh or almost laugh some times, but it is not a fucking humoristic book.
Probably traduction doesn't matter. I've read Dostoyevski, Nietzsche, Walser, Hesse, Bohl, Wittgenstein, Schopenhauer, Joyce, Orwell, etc in Spanish and, if you're interested in the concepts, you don't even feel the traduction. It's the same. If you're looking for beauty, then it's a different game. I've tried to read Holderlin in Spanish. Bad idea.
>>
I recommend the Smollett or Rutherford versions.
>>
>>7517778
yes at this truth tea
>>
Gonna hijack the thread for a bit but, say I wanted to read Don Quixote in its original Spanish? What publisher or editor or who knows what should I be looking at?
>>
I bought the Motteux one a while back. Did I fuck up?
>>
Just finished the Raffel translation today. It was fantastic, and I couldn't recommend anything else over it. The essays in the back of the book are great as well, and his footnotes throughout provide detailed context that really adds a lot of value and gives a more holistic understanding and appreciation of the novel.
>>
Highly recommend Burton Raffel. He takes some liberties, but he captures the tone and attitude, and it reads not like a translation but like a great book written in English.
>>
>>7518319
>traduction

Ah, anon, you're cute. I heard my mother's accent when I subvocalized this one.

It is translation. Also be careful with molestar & molest, embarazada & embarrased, emocionante & emotional.

Also the original is so much better. My Spanish isn't great but it is not that hard to understand. Spanish didn't change as much as English did.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.