[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In this thread we post the best and worst publishers. Let's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: Penguin_logo.svg.png (50 KB, 805x1023) Image search: [Google]
Penguin_logo.svg.png
50 KB, 805x1023
In this thread we post the best and worst publishers.

Let's start with the obvious.
>>
Penguin is an amazing publisher. You're a fucking retard if you think otherwise.
>>
>>7516657
Is this then some RPG character kind of deal where you traded your ability to fly for that to type?
>>
>>7516653
I don't keep track of Le publishers track record, but explain what Penguin has done wrong.
>>
Penguin is excellent, go home HarperCollins.
>>
OP didn't say if Penguin was best or worst though.

I appreciate the very large scale of lesser known lit that Penguin keeps in print, and the low cost, however they are plain and sometimes contain errors.

I think Oxford does a nice job with their editions. They tend to include a lot more scholarly works after the text, footnotes, a list of recommended reading, and so on, which I enjoy.
>>
I like Autonomedia and Punctum - the first because of the material it publishes, the second because of its commitment to open source. You can read everything for free if you like. That's pretty boss.
>>
>Best
NYRB

>Shit that plebs only like
everything else
>>
Inb4 NYRB
>I want to be an intellectual with obscure tastes but I have no actual knowledge of literature and need it to be spoofed to me
A shelf full of nyrb is guaranteed the shelf of a pseud.
Decent books tho.
>>
>>7516982
You know, it's not that black and white. While I'd agree that buying every single book published by them just because it was published by them is ignominious, I see no problem in having a shelffull of them because you browsed their catalogue and found a number of titles that interested you.
>>
I like the DAP. Cool lads printing cool stuff.
>>
Ocofrd is GOAT. They are literally the best publishers ever with the best translations. Their editions are also smooth, sturdy and stunning. 9/10

Vintage comes a close second. They're good for neo-classics from the 50s onwards but their actual pre-21st Century options are lacking. Major defect is their editions. They are ok I suppose but they nearly always look shit. 8/10

Penguins covers, editions and design are shit and their translations usually have multiple errors. And yet they have a somewhat loveable attachment to them. That and the fact Penguin Classics published much obscure work most would prefer to stay away from. 6/10

F&F's poetry and classics collections are put of this world but unfortunately lose marks for their shifty paperbacks (their hardbacks are pretty good). 5/10

HONOURABLE MENTIONS:
1) Pushkin Press
2) Barnes and Noble (Hardcover Collections)
3) Allen Lane
4) Knickerbocker Classics

All of the HMs contains good works and content but their editions tend to vary. Some, like Knickerbocker may have some minor spelling mistakes, and some like Allen Lane may be limited to a small option.
>>
>>7516657
Yeah, he said best and worst not worst.

Best: Oxford

Worst: Harper Collins

Are you fucking kidding me: Dover thrift
>>
literally vern and sisters
>>
>>7517052
>2) Barnes and Noble (Hardcover Collections)

get the fuck out of here
>>
Dalkey is best for like, almost obscure stuff. Plus their books feel great
>>
Loeb
>>
>>7517052
Oxford don't have good font or good spines.

Barnes and Noble's Hard covers are Reddit in book form.
>>
Who the fuck cares, I just pick a book I want then browse through the editions to find the prettiest cover.
>>
Signet Classics
>>
Best:
English: Penguin.
Not English: Oxford.

Worst:
B&N (never owned one but they look like shit)

That wasn't that hard.
>>
>>7516653
OXFORD CLASSICS NIGGA
>>
>>7517411
THIS
>>
Everyman Classics: Good translations, excellent production quality, good typography, and good supplementary material.

Cheaper than other hardcover publishers like Barnes and Noble, or Folio, and do not look gaudy, like Barnes and Noble, or Folio.
>>
>>7517615
>everyman's
>don quixote
>motteux translation

not even once
>>
Dalkey Archive, New Directions, Archipelago, Seagull Books and similar publishers are the best
>>
>>7517615
>good supplementary material.

Where do they have good supplementary material? Most of the time they just have an introduction and that's it.
>>
>>7517000
There is this one faggot who has a bookshelf of unread NYRB books (like the entire collection) whonposted a pic on the bookshelf thread once. It was pretty pathetic.
>>
>>7516653
Oxford, DAP, New Directions, Vintage
>>
PALGRAVE
A
L
G
R
A
V
E
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.