[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Currently Reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9
File: 20151227_232222.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151227_232222.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
What are you reading? How far are you? What do you think of what you've read so far?

Currently reading pic related, about a quarter way through (~200 pages just today). Pretty awesome book, I got really sad when Farria died. The prose is beautiful.
>>
Read the first two chapters of A Portrait of the Artist. I like it a lot more than Dubliners. Thought I was going to suffer when I read moocow but it turns out that the prose gets more concise as Stephen ages.
>>
File: IMG_20151227_224228176.jpg (2 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151227_224228176.jpg
2 MB, 1836x3264
>>7512306
What translation's is better, that or the Penguin one?

On topic, I just started The Sound of Waves by Mishima. Hopefully I can finish it before the 30.
>>
Currently reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, about 60 pages in and thoroughly enjoying it. Also reading Don Quixote, about 100 pages in, and enjoying that as well. Just finished The House of the Seven Gables (after starting it probably 4 times over the last couple of years) and liked it a lot when I finally stayed with it until the end. Listening to Stephen King's It on audible right now if that counts but read it before.
>>
'Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil' by Hannah Arendt

I'm probably going to finish it today or tomorrow.
>>
>>7512306
Same version I read.
>>
Reading The Brothers Karamazov and am enjoying it. I'm about 200 pages into it. I didn't know it would be pure drama but I can still dig it. I like how he develops each character through extensive dialogue scenes.
>>
File: open_society.jpg (39 KB, 422x648) Image search: [Google]
open_society.jpg
39 KB, 422x648
>>7512306
About 400 pages in.

I really liked his analysis of Plato and Hegel and their relationship to totalitarianism but, so far, I'm not really digging his analysis of Marxist historico-economic theory.
>>
Reading Catch-22, also 200 pages in, also really enjoying it. I underestimated how funny this book would be, and I'm beginning to love the totally non-linear random events plot. I also love the repeated use of irony and weird circular logic that highlights the insanity of war.
>>
>>7512625
sorry senpai
I deplore "marxists" but most of Popper's analysis is utter garbage. Check out "Hegel Myth and Legends" by Jon Stewart, its a collection of essays defending Hegel's reputation and thankfully not by continental cross-eyed charlatans. It tears Popper's scholarship to pieces.
>>
The Man Who Loved Children. I'm about half-way through it.

I don't really know how to describe it. Family life in a loveless marriage with money troubles and in-depth looks at how each character feels about themselves, other members of the family, the actions they take, etc. It's quite good.
>>
this slaughterhouse five book is cuhrayzee. i love it.
>>
>>7512640
I've tried reading Hegel's "History of Medieval philosophy" once.

It wasn't pleasant.

Do you have any rational that would make me want to read Hegel? He seems dreadful and on the verge of meaninglessness.
>>
>>7512678
H. S. Harris, Robert Pippin, and Terry Pinkard are the go-to guys on Hegel. Avoid anything French to do with Hegel, ESPECIALLY anyone "influenced" by Kojeve.
>>
The Rings of Saturn by W.G. Sebald

the travel journal seguing into all kinds of different subjects makes has made for some of my favorite books
>>
File: cover-of-n.jpg (208 KB, 1229x1240) Image search: [Google]
cover-of-n.jpg
208 KB, 1229x1240
Finished: Napoleon, A Life by Andrew Roberts

Then I sat on my kindle and broke it so now I'm reading 1984 while I await my new kindle in the mail.

Any suggestions for good historical books?
>>
File: asdf.jpg (49 KB, 316x475) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
49 KB, 316x475
started yesterday and read around 100 pages. pretty good so far
>>
>>7512780
How was the Napoleon biography? I've been thinking of buying that one with a gift card I just received.
>>
>>7512803
Personally I thought it was brilliant. Its not the easiest read though; its quite long and you should expect to be referring back to maps a fair bit, which I know a lot of people don't much like.

Nonetheless, one of the best history books I've read. He goes into great detail about all the battles, politics and relationships without making it feel long winded.
>>
>>7512826
Cheers. I'll pick it up.
>>
>>7512306
>quarter of the way through at 200 pages

I would pity you, but if you can't even spell Faria correctly then your retention is probably garbage and the unabridged text wouldn't do you any good, anyway.

>mfw in bed and about to read a chapter or two of the superior Penguin edition before going to sleep
>mfw on page 850 and I still have 400 more glorious pages to go

Seriously, all cucking aside, get the Buss translation from Penguin, especially if you've only invested one day in the text so far. It's a great read (my favorite book; I'm rereading it) and is the only version I know of in print which is totally unabridged and uncensored. Also on Amazon for only like $7-8.

PS if you think the spoiler you mentioned was emotional, chapter 30 will knock you on your ass. I was crying while reading it in a cafe a few days ago.
>>
>>7512826
Is the white cover the version you got? I've only seen the one with the half-cutaway portrait of Napoleon, but yours looks much nicer. Could you share an amazon link?
>>
>>7513016
Just realized that napoleon the great and napoleon: a life are different books. Woops. Anyone know what the difference is? Same author, 1 year apart in publishing dates.
>>
>>7512780
Russka. Check it out
>>
La mort heureuse by Albert Camus. The french Camus uses is a bit complicated, but I'm still able to enjoy the nice story. Only 60 pages in cause I started yesterday evening after finishing murakamis hard boiled wonderland. (Which was a bit silly imo)
>>
>>7513062
Oops a didn't even realise they were different books. My best guess would be that Napoleon The Great is an updated version but that seems odd since they are listed separately on his website.

And I read it on Kindle so I had no clue what the cover looked like, that just came up when I googled Andrew Roberts Napoleon
>>
File: dub1.jpg (296 KB, 763x1173) Image search: [Google]
dub1.jpg
296 KB, 763x1173
I have just finished Araby, the third story. And this book is making me so worried about my reading ability –I can only pick up on small parts of the stories' meanings; for most of it I have to go on sparknotes or something.
That being said, I do like the writing style.
Will this problem ever be solved?
>>
>>7513142
iktf :(
>>
>>7512306
Middlesex. 100 pages in. I like the incorporation of science (in this case genetics) and history into quality prose.
>>
>>7512633
Fav character? Mine is definitely Milo
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Just over six hundred pages into this, boy is it bleak. I never want to go to Mexico
>>
File: 774148.jpg (38 KB, 295x475) Image search: [Google]
774148.jpg
38 KB, 295x475
Read the first 30 pages and try not to shit bricks.

It is destined for meme status.
>>
>>7512780

Hey I'm on that too about 550 pages in. It's not bad. If you liked that you'd love peter the great by Robert massie
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.