[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for a word/concept for when the conceptual impacts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
I'm looking for a word/concept for when the conceptual impacts reality as if it weren't just in the mind/conceptual? I'll give a few examples:

A hypochondriac gets worked up (falsely) believe his hair is falling out, the stress from this causes his hair to actually fall out.

A camwhore sets a goal to remove her panties while under a blanket, the idea that the girl has no panties on turns people on even though they can't see it.

A group of people believe xyz is success arbitrarily, eventually everyone starts to aim for xyz and believe it's objectively success even though it's based on nothing other than the idea/concept (vs the moment to moment sensory etc. reality).

Is there a thread in this? My brain wants to label it "ideology/ideological" but that's wrong I'm pretty sure.
>>
File: zizek-2.jpg (30 KB, 368x560) Image search: [Google]
zizek-2.jpg
30 KB, 368x560
pic related it's op
>>
There's probably a word for it. I'd follow a synonym trail starting from confabulation, and see where that takes you.
>>
File: 20151225_192823.jpg (3 MB, 2976x2976) Image search: [Google]
20151225_192823.jpg
3 MB, 2976x2976
>>7508226
Well success is always arbitrary.
What youre looking for ,my friend is "The secret"
Is nothing more that a universal law. We attract things with the power of our thoughts
>>
>>7508259
True.
You can't say "I don't want to get cancer"
You have to say "I want to be healthy" because negative attracts negative and positive positive things just like the atoms that form your body
>>
Well it pretty much stems from you wanting a word that explains delusion becoming reality. Psychosis is pretty much the closest thing. Play off it.
>>
>>7508313
I don't think delusion is the right word.

I'm looking for when you believe a concept is as real as something objective (especially when you aren't distinguishing the two). It's almost a sort of illusion.

Delusion seems to strong, because the above doesn't necessarily go against (generally accepted) reality.
>>
Hyperreality?
>>
>>7508334
OP makes a thread looking for a word that describes believing something into existence. Finds/doesn't find word.
spoopy

Ask >>>/x/ They'd probably know
>>
>>7508226
>I'm looking for a word/concept for when the conceptual impacts reality as if it weren't just in the mind/conceptual?
It's called meme magick.
>>
>>7508226
probability bias?
>>
Am being stupid, is this not a form of self fulfilling prophecy?
>>
OP here, I'm just going to try a better example because I think what I'm looking for is evolving slightly as I think about it.

If somebody chooses to forgo life choices that would bring them please/happiness in pursuit of legacy, it could be described as "that's __wordimlookingfor___ism/istic/ical" because they are letting pure ideas/concepts dictate what they do. I think it's in part related to calling someone "an idealist".

Another example:
>>
>>7508547
Spooked. No for real. You're describing spooks a la Striner
>>
>>7508226
>when the conceptual impacts reality as if it weren't just in the mind/conceptual
there is no word for this, its just a very generalised way of describing the process of human cognition. We have physical experience, and our our creative capacity to conceptualise fills in the spaces between known and unknowable things, so to speak. It's an exercise in metonymy just as much as it is an act of self-delusion
>>
A mental mirage? Spooks?
>>
>>7508226
I'd label all those examples, bar the camwhore one, self fulfilling prophecies.
>>
Magical realism sans magic
>>
materialization?
>>
Sympathy and Contagion
>>
>>7508226
Positive feedback
>>
>>7508226
OP is:
* male
* prematurely balding
* single
* unsuccessful
* limited in vocabulary

Like others have already told you, there are three realities. (1)One you can never know, (2)one you get fed into your body through sensors, (3)one you interpret and reconstruct using inner language.

When you try to communicate your inner language reality, by speaking, writing, and creative or productive activity, you know create a another (4)reality, which is a filtered version of Reality3, since you lack the cognitive tools as a human being to copy exactly the structure of your inner language.

This game of Chinese Whispers R1???R2>R3>R4, gets played constantly and because of the granular nature of information as an endless flowing stream of discreet things, fluidity of human processing in abstraction and parallel processing, flexibility in learning capacity self-correction; general progress is made over a long enough time scale.

Sleep is probably required to simply give the body a break from constant input and allow most available energy to go towards regenerating and processing biological functions.

So with all of this in mind, you want a word where R3 imposes itself on R1 which we defined as unknown.

That word is virtualization or more specifically idealistic virtualization.
>>
>>7510331
This whole "four realities" thing you've constructed is nonsense.
>>
File: 1351364604091.jpg (3 KB, 126x105) Image search: [Google]
1351364604091.jpg
3 KB, 126x105
Self-fulfilling prophecy?
>>
>>7508226
>A group of people believe xyz is success arbitrarily, eventually everyone starts to aim for xyz and believe it's objectively success even though it's based on nothing other than the idea/concept (vs the moment to moment sensory etc. reality).
can you expound on this? it is not like the others youve posted (in that as far as I can tell it doesnt produce the material change like the others do)

it would be like having:
A hypochondriac gets worked up (falsely) believe his hair is falling out, so he begins to buy products to keep his hair

clearly thats not the same and not nearly as strong as the original exmaple
>>
>>7510278
>>7510033

Spook is actually probably as close as I'll get, why did it have to be a shitty choice of abstract sign. I hope there's a synonym.

>>7510524
I knew that my examples were too confusing as I was typing them (the self-fulling prophesy thread was incidental), and they aren't the same in totality, but it's the thread that carries over between them that I was getting at. I should have used less information.

>>7510331
This is an interesting attempt at psychoanalysis. I took the balding hypochondriac example from seeing a commercial for a Woody Allen movie (specifically the scene where he has an existential crisis in the middle of the street), the camwhore one came from seeing it, the success example came from the Titus Andronicus song "The Battle of Hampton Roads" (And when I get sick I will stay sick for the rest of my / Days peddling hate at the back of a chevy express / Each one will fall in the face of your idea of success)

So 1/3 I guess.
>>
>>7508485
His first example is, but the others don't fit.

Tbh though I suspect the main problem here is op's lack of functioning neurons. Each of the examples is wildly different. Manifestation may work but, eugh. Op why do you even need this word, just say some other shit instead.
>>
>>7508226
>A hypochondriac gets worked up (falsely) believe his hair is falling out, the stress from this causes his hair to actually fall out.
self fulfilling prophecy

>A camwhore sets a goal to remove her panties while under a blanket, the idea that the girl has no panties on turns people on even though they can't see it.
titillation

>
A group of people believe xyz is success arbitrarily, eventually everyone starts to aim for xyz and believe it's objectively success even though it's based on nothing other than the idea/concept (vs the moment to moment sensory etc. reality).
vogue

fuck this thread
>>
>>7510524
I forgot to add:

What I'm looking for isn't so much about material change, it's about taking an idea/concept that is necessarily an idea/concept (think of "big" or "pretty") and treating it as if it were the case (Wittgensteinian sense) objectively.
>>
OP here, I found the word I think I'm looking for:

Reification
>>
Reification.
>>
>>7510823
>>7510766

Dammit!
>>
>>7510766
best waifu
>>
File: VFBlog-NickLand1.jpg (63 KB, 580x386) Image search: [Google]
VFBlog-NickLand1.jpg
63 KB, 580x386
>>7508226
Hyperstition
>>
Psychosomatic

Intersubjective
>>
>>7510331
Imaginary------Symbolic
...................^
...................|
................Real
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-27-19-14-53.png (296 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-27-19-14-53.png
296 KB, 1080x1920
>>7510766
>the map is not the territory

Fucking Eschaton.
>>
File: 1446265003539.jpg (48 KB, 469x505) Image search: [Google]
1446265003539.jpg
48 KB, 469x505
>>7510696
semi-intelligent thread stimulates conversation with the hope of achieving a goal or revelation.
>anon says thread sucks
>go to catalog and see "what is the bangbros.com of literature?"
Okay.
>>
>>7511608
>what is the bangbros.com of literature

I laughed inside my head a little bit.
>>
>>7511592

As a whole, IJ is one big hairy dog story. But there are elements of it that are genuinely brilliant and insightful. That chapter is one.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.