[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I got Ulysses for Christmas but I want to read The Odyssey
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: sdfhyyuio3455jthg.png (627 KB, 1017x472) Image search: [Google]
sdfhyyuio3455jthg.png
627 KB, 1017x472
So, I got Ulysses for Christmas but I want to read The Odyssey before. Do I need to read The Iliad before The Odyssey? And, what's the best translation?

Also, Bookdepository or other site for europe?
>>
why would you not read iliad?
>>
Fitzgerald, Merrill, or Lattimore
>>
File: 1447960566869.png (2 MB, 1905x997) Image search: [Google]
1447960566869.png
2 MB, 1905x997
>>7507537
i'd recommend lattimore because its smooth and clear - otherwise chapman.
fuck the others
>>
>>7507526
Read The Iliad first. The Odyssey is about the journey home.
>>
>>7507526
Yes, you need to read the Iliad first.

Fagles is probably the best translation for a beginner: it's well-written, pretty accurate, and engaging.

Fitzgerald is better, I think, but it's a bit more difficult. Nothing wrong with either of them. I've heard good things about Lattimore too, but I haven't read it.

Pope is the best translation there will ever be of the Iliad, it is by far the best literary achievement of any translation of that book. But, it makes no attempt to be an accurate reflection of the Greek. It's very outdated, but gorgeous. Definitely read Pope's translation at some point, but I think Fitzgerald or Fagles is best for your first time.
>>
Pope
>>
Op here. Basically, its between lattimore or fagles at this point. More opinions?
>>
>>7507526
Was at Barnes and noble today.
Read the beginning of a couple different translations.
Fagles is the clear winner IMO.
Purchased Iliad and oddysey from thrift books.com
>>
Fitzgerald odyssey
Fagles iliad
>>
Lattimore for the Iliad, Fitzgerald for the Odyssey - It's been the common wisdom for decades.
>>
I can't stand how Fitzgerald translates the names such as saying "kyklopes" instead of "cyclopes." I don't know why but it just irks me so much.
>>
>>7508654
>But now I cleared my mind of Circe's orders—
>Cramping my style, urging me not to arm at all
>I donned my heroic armor...

Robert Fagles
>>
Lattimore is great.

>>7508674
>cramping my style
Are you for serious
>>
just read that shit in Wikipedia and use your imagination
>>
Anyone who likes the Fagles translation needs to fuck off and go back to their slam poetry
>>
>Buying works that are public domain
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.