[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>University has a MASSIVE three story library >its a "stem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: webcam-toy-photo1.jpg (64 KB, 578x592) Image search: [Google]
webcam-toy-photo1.jpg
64 KB, 578x592
>University has a MASSIVE three story library
>its a "stem focused" school
>Literally never had a book wait listed or reserved
>All the plebs here unironically read fantasy novels
>gunna have to return this book soon
>really loved it
>its gunna sit on the shelf for another 10 or twenty years all alone
:,(
>>
File: webcam-toy-photo2.jpg (65 KB, 602x562) Image search: [Google]
webcam-toy-photo2.jpg
65 KB, 602x562
>>7507185
Book is pic related, its the David Magarshack translation, it is one of the best translations of Dostoevsky I've read yet
>>
>>7507185
Obligatory what book, what uni, etc
>>
>>7507185
holy shit...
I remember i stole one when i was on secondary school, they did never realize lmao
>>
Same here. Our library is amazing in terms of literature and none of the books are ever checked out. I recently read one that had not been checked out since the mid-80s.
>>
>>7507196
I thought about it my my library has really tight security gates you need to walk through to enter/exit and they all know my by face at the reception desk.

Only way I can think of would be loading up my backpack then lighting a roll of TP on fire in the bathroom and leaving through a fire exit

Any thoughts on this, or good literature relating to this subject?
I wouldn't do it for my own sake, but these books aren't gunna get used anyways so I dont feel guilty
>>
>>7507206
JUST
DO
IT
>>
>>7507206
>>7507185
haha you're fuck'd OP
Im a network IT Admin for the US Collegiate Library Network
Im searching our database for this book and this due date as we speak to see all the copies currently taken out.
Your little escapade of thievery is about to come to a screeching halt, enjoy never being allowed to set foot in a library again
>>
>>7507206
do you have only barcodes or also this weird magnetic thing on a random page inside ? if both (like at my uni), the barcode won't do shit (it's just used to borrow and return books), and you just have to get cissors or a cutter with you, go to the toilets with the book you want to steal and cut out the magnetic shit from the page it's on
dunno if it works everywhere, but in my uni it's pretty easy
>>
>>7507216
Do your worst you faggot. I'm stealing a book right now and I'm going to leave ass hairs on every shelf on the second floor. Say hi to your mom for me.
>>
>>7507232
You know nothing here is really anonymous, right?
You know all it takes is a note from the FBI and Hiro will hand over your data?
>>
File: 1451134537983.jpg (28 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
1451134537983.jpg
28 KB, 250x242
>>7507250
Who said I'm anonymous? I didn't seem very anonymous last night when your mom was screaming my name!
>>
>>7507250
For a stolen library book?
keked
>>
>>7507252
Fuck you
>>
File: size0[1].jpg (42 KB, 451x435) Image search: [Google]
size0[1].jpg
42 KB, 451x435
>>7507258
>"Come out with your hands up! We have reports of a stolen book from your local library!"
>>
>>7507206
>stealing a book from a library
>this hard

Nigga are you dumb. The barcode is not for secutiry. Put it in your fucking bag.
>>
>>7507338
They have alarm things that buzz when you walk through
>>
>>7507340
Get in a toilet stall and get rid of whatever is causing the book to buzz. Or find a window to throw the book from, or whatever. I'm 100% sure there is a better way than starting a fucking fire.
>>
>>7507350
Not a more amusing way though
>>
>>7507185
Great, anon. You learned that other people aren't interested in the same things as you and thst you are marginally unique in your little world. You are a special, enlightened snowflake in a world of dumb sheep.
>>
Don't steal from a library you retard.
>>
I noticed the same thing at my university, Heidegger, Hume, Wittgenstein, Popper totally unread. I then checked the classic literature sections and also virtually untouched.

I felt kind of bad all my fellow stem tards never bothered to read the arts, and I was pretty tired of not meeting girls in any classes, so I posted up pamphlets all over the campus basically saying[sic]:

>"LITERATURE LITERATURE LITERATURE
> DESIRE TO READ REQUIRED
> MEETING DAILY AT 1PM AND 4PM
> CAMPUS LIBRARY LAWN, NO COMMITMENTS"

I would generally sit there and read every day between classes or labs anyway, so I figured why not give it a shot. Nobody came for like 3 weeks, then one day a girl in BioMed, the next day two girls from Neuroscience, they brought friends...

Once we had more than 4 interested people it became obvious we would run out of copies of a particular book to share. I managed to get away with printing 50 pages of the original onto about 6 pages double sided, making 3 or 4 copies for first time visitors or people who couldn't get access to the current book. Attrition in the early days was pretty high, but some people stayed with the group and we became close friends.

Format was 5min chatting, then rounds of individual comments on the previous 50 pages, rest of the hour questions and discussion.

I used The Iliad as a primer in the beginning to get the first group interested in the classics since I figured 80% of them are girls (4 girls and me) and would love the homo-eroticism; Troy had just come out 1 year earlier, Brad Pitt's naked body fresh in their mind enticing their lust for reading. Also The Iliad is short so less work for me to print copies.

Reading list over the two semesters was something like:

Iliad > Aeneid > Decameron > Middlemarch > Anna Karenina > Crime and Punishment > Ulysses

The club grew beyond my interest to manage it, so I let other people handle it, but towards they end of year 1 we had 25+ members, some grad students, one or two lecturers, an established reading list, social gatherings, a fixed lecture hall, a budget for books and lending them to members.

I also met my first gf through this- still together 5 years later, made two really close friends also who I would have otherwise never met.

I'm not saying start or join a literature club at your college or university. From my experience if you know someone who might be interested in serious reading but is intimidated, print them out 50 pages at a time and talk to them about it the next day. Spoon feeding them this way makes them engage with it much more, and it fans those flames for lusty lusty literature.

It helps if you're passionate about it, so pick a book you really love. I had to pick 5 cuck entry level books to retain my female membership and ease my throbbing love gently into their dry vaginas. Your mileage may vary, consider meeting new people interested in literature, you will make lifelong friends.
>>
>>7507525
Congrats on finding an opportunity to use this trite, cliched xkcd horseshit observation today

I wish you many more opportunities to be a worthless non-contributor in the New Year
>>
>>7507533
That was a nice story and made me happy, and I'm REALLY resisting the urge to shitpost in response to it just because it's something earnest on 4chan
>>
>>7507535
Great. Keep massaging your ego instead of growing up. And this is sort of a pot-kettle situation, unless you somehow think "everyone is dumb and unread unlike me" isn't a trite and cliched observation
>>
File: 1441504243878.png (9 KB, 241x209) Image search: [Google]
1441504243878.png
9 KB, 241x209
>>7507533
fug, I thought this stuff only happened in anime and TV shows.

:_;
>>
>>7507557
desu I probably would've remained a NEET retard with like no friends or social life if I didn't take that first initiative and print like 30 fliers asking for people to come. It gave me a lot of confidence talking to new people, lead to other opportunities once I graduated. I'd prob be hiding in some office on campus to this day being some whiny nerd doing postdoc work in astrophysics or cs. Instead I have a fun job a cute gf and friends who share my hobbies.

I never really reflected on it until OP's thread reminded me of that day a decade ago I first checked out Being in Time and checked the stamp inside the front cover and saw something similar.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.