[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What good literature can you recommend that uses the element
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1451111684205.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451111684205.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
What good literature can you recommend that uses the element of surprise?

I can't think of too many books that have big plot twists and do it well.
>>
I'd recommend it all, honestly.
>>
>>7506235
The metamorphosis is the best example I can think of

"Als Gregor Samsa eines Morgens aus unruhigen Träumen erwachte, fand er sich in seinem Bett zu einem ungeheuren Ungeziefer verwandelt."

It has a lot more impact than the English equivalent because of the order . The "transformation" part is at the end of the sentence. Its kind of like if it said "he found himself into a giant bug transformed"
>>
blonde girls.... my gott
>>
>>7506235
I like the range of emotions she goes through in under two seconds. first its some kind of unsure anticipation to shock and surprise to reassuring herself that it was actually something to be shocked about to relief and laughter and then looks for comic reassurance from whoever she looks at
>>
ready player one by that meme guy
>>
Teju Cole - Open City.
>>
>>7506245
Its not a big twist if its actually the first sentence
>>
>>7506625
in the context of a single sentence why not?
>>
Naked Lunch
The Old Man and the Sea
>>
>>7506235
>What good literature can you recommend that uses the element of surprise?
Pedro Paramo.
At the middle of the novel you find out that the main character is dea- wait, I mean, who knows... - surprise!
>>
>>7506235
Thief of Time
>>
>>7506235
She needs foot surgery.
>>
Metro 2033

A lot of people stop in the middle of the novel because they find some things nonsense, they say the author is bad and the character literally miraculously escape from everything, but everything is explained in the last chapter, and then everything makes sense.

If you have no interest in reading the novel, the ending is below:
Artyom heads to the top of a building to send the coordinates to another guy, so they can nuke the Dark Ones nest, because the Dark Ones were supposedly attacking everyone. When the nukes are launched, Artyom discovers that the Dark Ones never killed anyone, but their mental powers were strong enough to get people crazy. They never wanted to kill humanity, they wanted to help them. Artyom was chosen to be the intermediate, the one who would help the alliance. Thats why he always rdcaped safely, thats why he could walk past guards without they seeing him, the Dark Ones were always ahead, helping him reach his objective. But in the end everyone dies.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.