[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: Speaker_dead_cover.jpg (37 KB, 257x400) Image search: [Google]
Speaker_dead_cover.jpg
37 KB, 257x400
The new Star Wars has made me hungry for some sci-fi. Any recommendations?
>>
Zelazny's Lord Of Light, quite unique

Dune of course if you haven't read it, personally couldn't bother with any follow-ups

Faber's The Book of Strange New Things for feels

The Quantum Thief for a unique world where the author doesn't give you any handouts in understanding anything, 0 info-dumps, no hints, no "outsider who has to learn their mysterious ways"

The Three-Body Problem, it's rather meh, but very successful in China, mostly interesting because it's a perspective you don't often have in SF (the background is the Cultural Revolution)

Dragon's Egg for hard, physics-heavy SF

His Master's Voice for a more depressing version of Contact
>>
A Canticle for Liebowitz
>>
File: LOTR_book_covers.jpg (105 KB, 864x475) Image search: [Google]
LOTR_book_covers.jpg
105 KB, 864x475
>>7503483
>Star Wars
>sci-fi
That's snarkier than I intend, but deep down Star Wars is as much Fantasy as it is SF, if not more so.
Pic related is sincere
>>
>>7503516
I've read this comparison often - Star Wars is fantasy while Star Trek is SF, and I have to say, it's rather apt. Star Wars is based on Campbell's monomyth, it's got the hero's journey (originally), it's more a fairy story where space ships co-exist with supernatural elements (the force) than an examination of a human condition where some imaginative concept is reality.
>>
>>7503522
Except for all the riffs it took on the Foundation trilogy.
>>
File: Max_von_Sydow_even.jpg (17 KB, 375x250) Image search: [Google]
Max_von_Sydow_even.jpg
17 KB, 375x250
>>7503522

Right, along with wizards practicing a fully-developed magic system, princesses, a setting in the past as opposed to extrapolation of present technology etc. into a future possibility.
One SF saga that might fit Star Wars in some ways is Dune, with its hero's journey of its own, multi-generational aspect, planet-hopping, and so on.
>>
>>7503548
>Paul's head on Leia's body and not Luke's
>>
>>7503516
Man, I'm about to read the LOTR trilogy for the first time (after I reread the Hobbit). I'm very excited. I love the cover art of the edition you posted.
>>
>>7503643
The hobbit is great. LOTR is pretty boring IMO. I really enjoyed the hobbit though.
>>
>>7503671
Patrician opinion. I liked LOTR, but the Hobbit was much better imo.
>>
File: 830.jpg (53 KB, 299x475) Image search: [Google]
830.jpg
53 KB, 299x475
>>
>>7503504
+1 on His Master's Voice.

Also, anything by Lem or the Strugatsky brothers.
>>
The War in The Air by HG Wells is pretty cool if you're into steampunk. It's a little heavy on exposition, more of an exploration of the potential effects of aerial warfare and a world war than a narrative in the traditional sense. Like it had characters and a story but it kind of branches off a lot to talk about what's happening elsewhere and the war in general.
>>
>>7503483
Starship Troopers, anything by Philip K. Dick, Dune.
>>
Is speaker for the dead worth reading?
>>
Ursula K LeGuin is great. Read through Left Hand of Darkness recently and loved it despite not being the biggest sci-fi fan at this point.
>>
>>7506259
Personally i think it's the best of the original 4, but I don't expect that to be a popular opinion. It goes more into the inter-species morality/philosophy stuff which are the main theme of the last 2.
>>
I just finished The Forever War. It's quite good. Deals with the effects of relativistic space travel in a war on a galactic scale really well. Alienation, uncertainty, loss.
>>
Reading Rendezvous with Rama now, as I suspect we will all live to see it happen.
>>
File: dalecooper.jpg (26 KB, 404x400) Image search: [Google]
dalecooper.jpg
26 KB, 404x400
>>7503548
ayo senpai that's not paul atreides that's special agent dale cooper
>>
The Diamond Age as well
>>
>>7506367
Discover a large artificial object headed for our solar system?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.