[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of Gore Vidal? Where do I start with his work?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 332x443) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 332x443
What does /lit/ think of Gore Vidal? Where do I start with his work?
>>
I recommend starting with the book that presents an extremely problematic depiction of trannies
>>
period piece tier I imagine. I've never read him.
>>
He's a writer of genre fiction. Not very good at all, especially in comparison to his contemporaries.
>>
creation is pretty good for what it is.

>>7502369
that's basically it.
>>
Not gay enough desu
>>
reminder Buckley bodied this fool
>>
>>7502644
Nazi detected.
>>
I have read all of his collected non-fiction and all of the fiction that he wrote after he took a bit of a hiatus in the 60's. His non-fiction is the best. If you want fiction exclusively, his series about America (read in sequential order not publishing order), Julian, and Creation are probably your best bet. Stay far away from Myra, Dulth, Kalki or anything with a fantastic of sci-fi aspect. He doesn't do that kind of stuff well.
>>
>>7502974
I don't think Buckley ever tried to defend McVeigh.
>>
>>7503028
Which has what to do with Nazism? McVeigh's acts were more along the Anti-Nazi reighstag fire.
>>
>>7503092
His fondness for The Turner Diaries says otherwise.
>>
I thought Messiah was pretty damn good.

His trolling skills are Hitchens-tier, well worth a couple of hours on the jewtubs.
>>
>>7503116

I think that the books that he read were far less important in the composition of his artistic oeuvre than the buildings that he blew up.
>>
>>7503028
because Buckley was boring
>>
>>7503278
It's relevant when he's trying to make life imitate art.
>>
>>7503427

Hick white power dorks wish they were nazis, and while Buckley was a crypto-fascist , even he would find anyone who would identify with the modern American right in 2015 pathetic.
>>
Vidal was a bitch

If you're looking for the great gay writer, see E.M. Forster
>>
>>7502644
I just watched a documentary about that debate and in the end Buckley spent the entire rest of his life trying to make up for his momentary lapse in emotional control. Even Chomsky couldn't do that to the man, leave it to Gore to do the impossible and then walk away like it was nothing. This thread is full of fucking Crypto-Nazis.
>>
>>7505848
A healthy skepticism of democracy is not necessarily a bad thing.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.