[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you support the destruction of small businesses by buying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: 1449615034840.gif (850 KB, 500x309) Image search: [Google]
1449615034840.gif
850 KB, 500x309
Why do you support the destruction of small businesses by buying your books from Amazon, anons?
>>
Because I can get exactly what I want delivered to my front door for cheap.
>>
Cheap
Easy
Better inventory
>>
>>7499785
>>7499786
>supporting the corporate jew
>>
>>7499789
Compete or starve
>>
>>7499797
>thinks these are the only two options available

What's it like being a capitalist pawn?
>>
I buy my books from local secondhand stores or at bigger retail outlets when I get gift certificates, don't be so presumptuous.
>>
>>7499803
>bigger retail outlets

That's just as bad as buying from Amazon.
>>
Because I never met a small-time bookstore owner who wasn't embittered and unpleasantly arrogant.
>>
Why should I support small businesses?
>>
>>7499823
Because they are members of your community. Just think of it as giving back to your neighbors.
>>
>>7499783
Because it's nearly impossible to buy foreign language books, older editions and more obscure books for any of the domestic book dealer chains.

>mfw I unironically have to buy all my Kierk from Denmark because somehow stocking books in danish is impossible here
>>
>>7499827
That's not a good reason. Why should I want to give back to my community and neighbours? Also, why should I pay for books when I could gave thrm for free?
>>
>>7499783
>amazon
>powell's
>goodwill
>>
I buy books from where it's the most comfortable. If small businesses can't compete I honestly don't care.

>>7499789
When will you eventually realize you use the word "jew" whenever "superior" fits?
>inb4 kike
I am a christian, born and raised.
>>
I buy most of my books from a big, independently owned bookstore near my campus.
Suck on that faggot.
>>
>>7499831
>Why should I want to give back to my community and neighbours?

Found the jew.
>>
>>7499830
Saddest thing is when a bookstore says, "we don't have it—but we can order it for you." No shit, I can order it for me and have it delivered to my house.
>>
>>7499869
They're just trying to run their business, senpai.

>tfw I never order it through them, either
>>
>>7499869
It's so weird that it's only bookstores though, there's several good record stores that will stock just about anything.
>>
>>7499838
on the playground
>>
>>7499864
I know right? My neighbor should support my home weed-selling business. That guy owes me after I treated him with the basic respect and politeness that would give to any stranger.
>>
>>7499783
Because I'm not a dumb liberal who think cute little authentic bookshops and coffeeshops somehow justify a capitalist structure while all the things that truly matter are in the hands of a few corporations anyway.

I try to support only the most soulless corporations I can find. Remember lads, don't hesitate, accelerate!
>>
actually, all my books are pirated
>>
>>7499968
this, fuck artificial scarcity desu
>>
>>7499968
This is the answer. Lets me get my shit without supporting anyone.
>>
>>7499783
>not buying your books from thrift books.com
>2015

Pick one
>>
You mean: Why don't we support bad businesses?
>>
>>7499968
this mane fuck Moms and Pops AND Barnes and Nobles
>>
File: Laughing_Marx.jpg (141 KB, 480x563) Image search: [Google]
Laughing_Marx.jpg
141 KB, 480x563
Because rational cost-benefit analysis. Most people aren't concerned about subsidizing the lifestyle of strangers as opposed to maximizing their OWN pleasure. If your whole ideology is based on the altruism of others, it's doomed to fail.

"Small businesses" is just a stop gap trial before a more savvy entrepreneur comes along and more effectively executes the same idea on a larger more cost efficient scale. That's how business generally works. Biggness wins out in the end.
>>
>buying books
>not going the public library to scoff at plebs and their inferior book choices
>>
>>7499783
Because it's already too late. There are no small business bookstores around me.
>>
>>7499813
No shit but what else am I going to do with a barnes and nobles gift card
>>
File: 1435337101821.png (6 KB, 358x291) Image search: [Google]
1435337101821.png
6 KB, 358x291
I openly dislike small business for the most part. Everything is overpriced. They're only really useful for niche goods/services.
>>
>>7500092
>not going the public library to scoff at plebs and their inferior book choices

Why, Senpai? :(
>>
>>7499884
Pretty shit example 2bh. It's not like weed is in small demand and needs the generosity of strangers to survive.
>>
i buy like half of my books for $3 from better world books/thriftbooks/etc. and get anything I can't find there in good+ through library loan. the only thing I've bought on amazon this year was a new book for my little brother.
>>
>>7499783
I've seen plenty of assholes working in small businesses. They're not saints by virtue of owning their own stock.

Besides, I'm mostly hurting Barnes and Noble who is now a glorified puzzle merchant.
>>
>>7499831
why shouldn't i kill someone when i could lmao i mean wtf why the heck not
>>
>implying there are second-hand shops in a reasonable distance from my house
>implying their prices and selection are any better than B&N/amazon

It's a waste of my time and money to visit the mom'n'pop shop. I buy used on amazon and get my books at least 50% cheaper than the local store prices. Fuck paying full price.
>>
File: 1445452200747.jpg (41 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
1445452200747.jpg
41 KB, 612x380
>>7499783
Because it's 2015.
>>
Sure is reddit in here.
>>
>>7500244
Yeah maybe you should leave
>>
>>7499783
I only buy my textbooks online. I figure my uni has enough money.
>>
>>7499818
THIS TBFH THANK YOU SENPAI
>>
Gotta love salvation army and library's
>>
>>7499783
I only shop online when I can't find shit at the recycled bookstores
>>
>>7499783
why do anything?
because its fun!
>>
I haven't ordered a book offline or from a major bookseller in years. I have a bookstore that almost always has my interests and a library with an amazing inter-library loan program, and if I'm really cheap I'll check the local thrift stores to see what they have.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.