[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone doing graduate work in Philosophy or other related disciplines?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
Anyone doing graduate work in Philosophy or other related disciplines? I'm applying for MPhil/PhD programmes in Philosophy in the UK and I was wondering what people's experience with the academy is, especially when it comes to Cont Phil.
>>
>>7498139
a bump bump a
>>
>>7498168
I'm also interested. I'd fucking kill myself if I did more school but I'm in STEM.
>>
I did an MA in ancient philosophy, wantd to do a doctorate.

But the ivory tower is so suffocating and the idea of never leaving school became horrifying.

Really glad I left now.To each his own though.
>>
>>7498139
MA in Queer studies
>>
>>7498139
>not watching the crisp blu ray
Step it up, brother
>>
>tfw you just watched end of evangelion for the first time
>tfw you know that you will never get as much from a work of art as EoE for as long as you live
>tfw you will never create anything that beautiful
>>
>>7498662
>2015 is ending
>where is the third impact?
>>
>>7498662
I gotta say despite what anyone here says the first go through of Eva ending with EOR is a fucking experience.
>>
File: 2436234324.jpg (96 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
2436234324.jpg
96 KB, 720x540
>>7498662
>tfw you are right but you can still continue to rewatch every year of your life.
>>
>>7498708
EOR?
>>
>>7498662
watched it again 2 days ago, still great.
EoE, Angel's Egg and Belladonna of Sadness are the best artsy anime movies i've seen in a long time.
>>
>>7498840
I had a dream two nights ago about my college doing a theatrical version of NGE. I was cast as Shinji and at one point I acted incredibly embarrassed and unsure of myself in character and the director laughed because he thought it was funny.
>>
>>7498952
hahahah holy shit, sounds horrifying
>>
>>7498662
I got more from Onani Master Kurosawa than I did from Eva. Tatami Galaxy was also pretty good, but it tried a bit too hard.

I suppose I'm not really into tragedy.
>>
File: image.jpg (223 KB, 1024x687) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
223 KB, 1024x687
>>7498139
As an undergrad, I took the graduate level logic course that all the philosophy doctoral candidates had to take. Shit was intense. Aspbergers professor droning on at a mile a minute to cover insane amounts of material.

>>7498662
I'm still unclear on how EOE turned out to be coherent and good when Anno supposedly made the original series with the intent of disappointing the viewer. Did he change his mind before making EOE or am I just not the kind of otaku he was aiming for?
>>
>>7498878
Belladonna is trash. Practically smut.

>>7498662
It's really not that great.
>>
>>7499014
I don't think that he intended to disappoint anybody.

I've heard rumors about it, but I think that they're only rumors.

The fragmentary nature of the original ending episodes was due to budget cuts, not spite.
>>
>>7499014
Do you remember the primary text used? I'm making my buy/dl list of philosophy books, thank you in advance.
>>
File: image.jpg (705 KB, 1920x2379) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
705 KB, 1920x2379
>>7499080
Formal Logic; Its Scope and Limits fourth edition by Richard Jeffrey

Philosophy of Logic second edition by W.V. Quine

Elementary Logic revised edition by Quine

Also this was at Tufts, and the students weren't doctoral candidates, but students in a masters program that feeds the top half-dozen doctoral programs. I just didn't want to repeat "grad students" because autism.
>>
>>7499161
Thank you!
>>
Where did you do your undergrad? What classification did you get?
>>
http://www.logicmatters.net/tyl/
get stuck in now, if you're not mathematically minded this is hard
>>
>>7498139

Isn't Philosophy dead?

>Epistemology is cucked by Mathematical Logic
>Ethics and Metaphysics are cucked by Theology
>Natural Philosophy is cucked by Mathematics

What's left for Phifags to do?
>>
>>7500099

There's still time to call yourself a neuroscientist.
>>
>>7500099
Bullshit some new existentialist literary theory of metaphysical epistemology that allows for an intellectual way out of post-modern subjectivity.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.