[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What dos /lit/ think of Blood Meridian? What's your interpretation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1
File: CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg (24 KB, 220x336) Image search: [Google]
CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg
24 KB, 220x336
What dos /lit/ think of Blood Meridian? What's your interpretation of the ending/the novel as a whole? I've seen it on a bunch of charts but I don't think I've ever actually seen it discussed here.
>>
>>7496270
woops *does
>>
>>7496270
The cover is pretty shitty desu. Wouldn't read.
>>
>>7496270
>I don't think I've ever actually seen it discussed here.

new af
>>
>>7496277
>new af
you're not wrong
>>
>>7496278
Why the fuck are you posting? Are you new to 4chan as well? Lurk moar you naive faggot
>>
>>7496270

Thirty pages in right now. (just talking to Captain White).

It's pretty stark, but I guess I prefer Hemmmmingway's kind of stark to this kind of stark. I really enjoyed No Country though, so I'mma keep pressing thru.
>>
>>7496277
>>7496278
>I never see it talked about but i just got here
FUCK OFFFFFF
Also its a meme book that is shit and you should just read inifnite jest instead or reread it
>>
Its a shitty screenplay for a shitty movie
>>
>Blood Meridian or The Evening Redness in the West
>or The Evening Redness in the West
>Why?
>Why?
>Why?

Pretentious as fuck.

I like the book, though.
>>
>>7496379
it gets less stark as you go on. pretty soon you'll be enveloped by the text.
>>
This is the book that launched me into reading literature years ago. It's great desu.
>>
DAILY REMINDER

in the rogue blood is superior to this book. anyone who calls blood meridian a great book, but thinks it will get ruined if Hollywood gets ahold of it, needs to read in the rogue blood
>>
>>7496961

Never heard of it, but it looks pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll put it on my list and get to it when I finish War and Peace, In Search of Lost Time, and Gravity's Rainbow.
>>
>>7496978
similar story, without the flowery prose just for artistic sake. i love CM don't get me wrong, but sometimes i just want to read a good story
>>
>>7496983

Wait wait wait. So it's just a similar story? No McCarthy prose? Who the hell is comparing it to Blood Meridian then?

Wait a second...you're James Carlos Blake, aren't you? God damn it, James. Please go. We talked about this, James.
>>
>>7496991
read orchard keeper for "muh symbolism". read BM is you're being deployed and want some badass warrior shit to say to your fellow retarded muhreens. BM was just award bait
>>
>>7496999

>2015
>being this dismissive of aesthetic
>being this pleb

Jesus Christ, James. You're embarrassing yourself.

And to think, if you had just shut the fuck up, I was gonna read your book.
>>
>>7497012
chinga tu madre, hombre
>>
>>7497021

Yeah, James, that's about what I expected from you. Best of luck in the future. Say hi to your mother for me.
>>
>>7497046
;)
>>
MAN IS THE ANIMAL

OHHHHH MAN IS THEEEEE ANIMAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLl
>>
>>7496278
get to know the board before you make threads tosspot
>>
Very bleak and depressing book. One of my favorites.
>>
>>7496270
I recently wrote an on this novel. Check out "Demystifying the Judge: Law and Mythical Violence in Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian" by James Dorson. It'd be very helpful if you already have an understanding of Benjamin and Lacan, although I only looked into the latter so as to better understand what Dorson was saying.
>>
>>7496270
Since there's no actual discussion going on here, I'll just ask:

What do YOU think the Judge represents?
>>
>>7497796
wrote an essay*, sorry.
>>
>>7496909

> even-ing redness
> the blood the levels the score
>>
>>7496909
pretty sure its a nod to melville

or just to make the title sound archaic to fit the style of the book.

either way not pretentious
>>
>>7499077
>pretty sure its a nod to melville

Can you add a bit of substance to this? Just because free Yale lecture told you it was?
>>
>>7497798
I relate him to Moby Dick in that he is an amalgamation of the extremes of humanity. He is both mankind's greatest evils and mankind's greatest achievements. He is an extraordinary genius, but also a mindless murderer. He is both the greatest and the most evil person(?) to ever walk the Earth, and so long as man exists, so does he.
>>
>>7499087
???

"Moby-Dick; or, The Whale" melville's other titles use it too. McCarthy has said Moby-Dick is his favorite book and that Blood Meridian is "his Moby Dick"
>>
>>7499114
This desu.

What do y'all think happened at the end?
>>
>>7499124
As well as the obvious similarities between the two books.

A slow paced, novel about a naive man entering a harsh and unforgiving world, not fully appreciating the brutality that awaited.
>>
>>7500224
> the kid
> naive

What book did you read? The kid was born into the harshness of the world and bore no illusions of anything less. The war party he tags along with for the trip "south" into "Mexico" may have been naive to the foolishness of that quest, but the Kid was well aware of it and went anyway.
>>
>>7500426
Don't agree. He went with the flow just because.
>>
>>7499156
The old myth of the romantic West is "raped" and the truth of barbarism and bloodshed is all that remains. The entire novel breaks down the mythos of the west from the heroic Cowboys and gunslingers to the valiant, righteous battles with the native Indians.

"The last pale light in the west" mentioned symbolizes the veil of romanticism we hold of the west, the light being pale symbols our vision of it being dimmed or distorted.
>>
>>7500442
> went with the flow just because

Is that the best we can do here? Why he tagged along for a foolish mission that he knew would likely end poorly and the best reasoning is "just because"?

>>7499124
> blood meridian is CM's Moby Dick
You're thinking to small. Blood meridian is not simply CM's Moby Dick but actually the Moby Dick of our time.
>>
>>7496999
It wasn't well received when it came out.

>>7496983
I hear half the people who dislike BM whining that it's too stark and the other half whining that it's too flowery. Make up your minds, niggers.
>>
>>7500426
>the kid
>not naive

I always thought his name and the transition of 'the kid' to 'the man' was implying the loss of naivety .The kid was already used to violence but it was nothing compared to the gory and ruthless violence that awaited him in mexico.
>>
>>7496909
>>7499077

Also might be a nod to Jakob Böhme (Aurora: Die Morgenröte im Aufgang), or to Nietzsche (The Dawn, in German it's more clear since it is Morgenröte – Gedanken über die moralischen Vorurteile)
>>
>>7496909
The book's Boehme quote comes from "Aurora oder Morgenröte im Aufgang" ("Aurora: or, Dawn's Rising in the East/Morning-Redness in the Rising of the Sun"), basically meaning "Dawn: or, Rising". While Blood Meridian's title means "Noon; or, Sunset", or "Peak: or, Fall". The Judge says "The way of the world is to bloom and to flower and die but in the affairs of men there is no waning and the noon of his expression signals the onset of night. His spirit is exhausted at the peak of its achievement. His meridian is at once his darkening and the evening of his day." The coin-forger in the Kid's dream is described as "hammering out like his own conjectural destiny all through the night of his becoming some coinage for a dawn that would not be.", and "the night does not end". Then you have the Epilogue which occurs "in the dawn". If the Epilogue is supposed to be a hopeful image, a movement toward Boehme's spiritual "dawn" light, I think all this is simply saying that there is no way to redeem the material/natural world of its evil, all pursuits of supremacy in that world are illusory/ephemeral, and genuine hope lies only in some kind of spiritual awakening.
>>
Great book. I actually just read a really convincing essay that argued that at the end The Judge breaks down and cries in front of the Kid and apologizes for all the wrong he's done in his life and begs forgiveness. Let me try to find the link.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.