[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the FUCK am I reading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (272 KB, 640x1048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
272 KB, 640x1048
What the FUCK am I reading?
>>
>>7495834
It's like the entirety of /b/ in writing with a /pol/ twist
>>
>>7495864
Does this shit ever start to make sense? Have I been meme'd into thinking this is worth over 1000 pages of reading?
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 640x336) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 640x336
>>7495869
Pic related my face the first 25 or so pages of this
>>
>>7495869
What are you expecting to get out of it? The secrets of the universe encoded in memes and copy pastas?
>>
>>7495869
It can be rewarding if you put in effort. It induced a weird feeling of brain boner in me at one point when I could feel Pynchon's literary penis finally penetrate my literary anus after so much dry pressing, and then finally fuck my literary throat after so much of my own tentative sucking
>>
>>7495876
I just want to actually understand where the hell the plot is heading . What I know
It's post world war 2. This section talks about a tangent by a monster and a dude named pirate
>>
>>7495886
wtf
>>
>>7495890
I'd probably need the rest of that first paragraph or something, but it looks like some sort of hallucinatory tangent
>his eyes rolled back into his head reading old, glyptic old graffiti on his own sockets

sounds like some heavy imagination going on in some characters head or influenced by drugs.
>>
>>7495952
This is what I'm thinking also just some hallucination or dream sequence. I haven't read much further too damn late to try and digest this
>>
>>7496007
Just keep reading. It's a dream had by a character (Pirate Prentice) whose significance will be explained very soon.
>>
What is that? Looks pretty dank.
>>
>>7495834
>street-wake
Quantitative model of the “vortex street” wake as a double row of point vortices. An engineering term. Pynchon studied engineering.
>It was a giant Adenoid!
An adenoid is an enlarged mass of lymphoid tissue at the back of the throat. I believe it's likely that Pynchon is also making reference to 'Adenoid Hynkel,' the character of the dictator (and mockery of Hitler) played by Charlie Chaplin in the film The Great Dictator.
>Lord Blatherard Osmo
To "blather" is to talk on foolishly (the reason for his mysterious death?). Lord Blather Hard? "Osmo" suggests "osmosis," the process by which the giant Adenoid would absorb its victims.
>Sanjak
Sanjak and Sandjak are the most common English transliterations of the Turkish word Sancak, which literally means "banner". They were the sub-divisions of the Ottoman provinces referred to as vilayet, eyalet or pashaluk.
>>
>>7495834
>>7496383
Yes reading Gravity's Rainbow is a big task in itself and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone illiterate, impatient or not actually serious about reading it. Albeit it's not impossible, in fact, it's easier than most people make it out to be. Some take it on as it is, some prefer guidelines. But to interpret Pynchon's messages within the book is absolutely not impossible.

As has been stated earlier in the book Pirate can experience other people's fantasies. He is currently experiencing Lord Osmo's fantasy. In the fantasy he sees this giant Adenoid devouring anything in it's path. (An adenoid is a lymph at the back of your throat which characteristically obstructs breathing) So naturally it isn't surprising Osmo is having a terrible fantasy about a giant adenoid devouring everything in its path now is it?
>>
>>7496388
The Adenoid references mainly these two things.
Charlie Chaplin's character Adenoid Hynkel, a parody of Adolf Hitler. But more so Hitler in general. Naturally a novel about WW2 should have references to Hitler right? But not only Hitler, it's a reference to Nazi Germany as well. Devouring everything in it's path, growing hour by hour.
You can analyze it further if you want, maybe it's a reference to the actual danger that London is in, the ongoing blitz and so on. A reference to the constant bombings. Pirate reels back in horror at the sight of what Nazi Germany did during WW2, as did anyone else who watched the ongoing war.

I find it amusing that even through all these references and underlying messages, it's still social parody à la Pynchon.
I mean come on, you don't find it amusing that a character called Lord Blatherard (Blather hard(Constantly talking on foolishly)) Osmo has a Lymph at the back of his throat that prevents him from breathing, ultimately causing his death?
>>
>>7496383
>>7496388
>>7496394
That took a while. Hope it helped you out OP. Don't give up on Gravity's Rainbow, it's a masterpiece and deserves all the praise it gets. If you find yourself not understanding what you're reading there are a lot of chapter summaries and explanations on the internet. Trust me, it's worth in the end.
>>
>>7496396
Thanks guys I'm gonna continue it and finish it for sure. Even while not understanding I still find it too interesting to stop, sure it'll make sense soon enough.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.