[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This book is terrifying. How did you get through it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: 1984_by_alcook-d4z39dh.jpg (1 MB, 1408x2142) Image search: [Google]
1984_by_alcook-d4z39dh.jpg
1 MB, 1408x2142
This book is terrifying. How did you get through it?
>>
One dreary page at a time
>>
>>7495316
>>7495327
This desu senpai
>>
Act 3 is shit, acts 1 and 2 were GOAT.

Women and plot ruin everything.
>>
>>7495373
you didn't appreciate the MiNisTrY oF LoVe?
>>
Hey, I just finished reading this today for English. It was pretty good, and I liked the ending for some reason.
>>
Boring and overhyped book by a terrible author.
>>
>>7495316

It makes up for it in the ending where it's kind of bittersweet because the protagonist learns to accept what his live gives them and even becomes happy with it.
>>
>>7495316
>>>/imgur/
>>
>>7495316
Brave new world is better IMHO.
Huxley kind of leads you to your own conclusion or at least is a bit more subtle. the guy beats you over the head with shit he don't like.
>>
>>7496130
I totally agree. There was a comic I read recently that was really poignant and the gist of it was that 1984 was like Communist Russia, a land ruled by a totalitarian government, wheras Brave New World was more like our current society: a world of people too absorbed in shallow bullshit to care about anything including their own lives. I only really think about 1984 when I'm playing video games but I imagine Brave New World whenever I see an idiot on his iPhone on the subway, which, nowadays, is every day.
>>
>>7495316
If you want a real scare, read Manufacturing Consent.
>>
I read it during a weird time when I was fapping to a lot of mindbreak doujins, including some shota/trap stuff, so I kind of got a semi when the dude started loving Big Brother at the end
>>
>>7496140
the worst part.is the ending of brave new world. Because you know its wrong but there's no will to change.
>>
I actually quite enjoyed this book, it really is easy to relate to it, it's pretty dark but still a good read.
>>
>Not wanting to be polyamorous with genetically engineered perfect beauties, have a job lined up for life, and always be happy.

Yeah nice fucking dystopia mate. This is literally what every guy dreams of.

In contract 1984 is dry and pathetic. The protagonist is the most beta male in existence, it's like reading the diary of a suicidal virgin.

Dystopian novels are in general garbage. How did the world get to this stage? What are the events that lead up to this? Why is your new society so trivial and simple compared to our own? Why does this read like a list of things you hate? Why are your protagonists always powerless individualists, what happened to families and collectives, activist groups, opposition, etc.

Just nonsense. It's the laziest intellectual argument to possibly make.

Eg. I hate outsourcing and globalization. Let me write a 500 page story about a 10 yr old girl working in a factory in Thailand, isn't the world so bad boo hoo, bad consumerist read my book and feel bad.

Yeah let's ignore how 15 years ago she would be dying from preventable diseases or working a rice field with no chance at an education. Or how her country was so poor people could only afford two sets of clothes, one to live in one to get buried in. Or how manufacturing jobs always lead to unionization then collective bargaining rights, worker's rights, a democratization of labour, better schools and education from a higher income earned, a growth in social and economic terms unparalleled by anything before in it human history over the course of decades not centuries.

Dystopia is the Donald Trump of literature, go for the lowest hanging fruit, hope everyone is too shocked to notice what little effort you put in.
>>
>>7495316

I think Orwell intended it to be read as Satire.

I imagine if I were to read it again with more context the humor would be more obvious.
>>
>>7495316
listened to the audio version
>>
>>7495316
It was great, I really enjoyed the development of the plot, and act 3 was the best, all of the plotlines came together, It was beautifully written, and even newspeak was pleasant to read
>>
>>7496130
He beats you over the head with shit, but he doesn't show dislike of it in the book. He just beats in the direction of your head with facts, and you only get hit if you dislike those facts yourself.
>>
>>7495316
You're not even trying anymore
>>
It's boring and slow. It lacks literate value and it's hyped for no apparent reason. Don't waste your time.
>>
>>7495316
In 1984, governments take over the world
In Animal Farm, animals take over the world
>>
>>7496235
yeah I bet you'd love it. no intention of thought, no need to change. just got your drugs and your sex and your minimalist job, just a happy little rodent.

the entire problem with the goddamn world is that once you step outside the bubble you are placed in, you fall the fuck apart and can't control yourself.
no one embraces thought because it's not allowed or "needed"
people being willfully ignorant and just running off of stimuli is fucking terrifying to anyone that isn't mentally challenged.
so obviously you either can't understand shit or you are just some contrarian. I assume aussie so most likely you are drunk.
>>
I dont see it too far off from where we are at now.
>>
File: orwellvshuxley.png (1 MB, 750x5987) Image search: [Google]
orwellvshuxley.png
1 MB, 750x5987
>>7496140
do you mean this by any chance?
>>
>>7496634
This. The people of Brave New World are totally unequipped to deal with any kind of failure in their system. If something fucked over the government or drug supply, they would all die.
>>
>>7496634
you totally missed that persons criticisms of dystopian novels 2bh
>>
>>7495316
i thought this shit was pretty cool. Everyone always complains about the ending but i actually liked it.
>>
>>7497217
literally reddit the comic

Fuck all of you hypocritical luddite plebs

if you want to "discuss" the "implications" of dystopian "literature" fuck off back to /r/books
>>
>>7497217
Both of those already happens.

Did Governments around the world use those two books as a user manual?
>>
>>7497503
It was already happening when they wrote those, just to a lesser degree
>>
>>7495316
I don't remember, I was like 13 or 14 at the time.
>>
>>7498285
I was like 6.
>>
>>7497217
Horrendous
>>
>>7495373
Literally the worst opinion you could have
>>
This entire thread stinks of pleb
>>
>>7498511
I'm not a native english speaker though
>>
Lel meme books
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.