[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sweet Jane
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: austen_page.jpg (900 KB, 769x952) Image search: [Google]
austen_page.jpg
900 KB, 769x952
I see very little discussion about England's Jane on here. Emma is masterfully crafted. Austen is one of the greatest English novelists of all time, I would even put her above Dickens. This thread is for Austenites and those who want to know about Austen.
>Austen as a moral philosopher can also be discussed.
>>
Mansfield Park is her best work by far
>>
>>7493913
too incesty 4 me
>>
why is she so underrated on /lit/?
>>
>It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

The only book I can think of where literally the first line made me drop it.
>>
i have only recently read Pride and Prejudice and this bitch drops semicolons like they're about to expire. sentences with more clauses than a mall santa training session. is this typical of the time period of her work or was she a particular crafter of convoluted prose?
>>
>>7493895
>I would even put her above Dickens
I enjoyed her books more than Dickens', but that's my opinion as a non-native speaker - I find Dickens' prose hard to get used to and a bit dry, while I find Austen's more expressive and easier to get used to.
>>
>>7495037
Are you serious? Do you even read?
>>
>>7493913

I agree (but it's not even that good).

Twain was mostly right about Austen.
>>
>>7495050
yes, although my experience with early 1800s writing standards is not extensive. it's not that i couldn't understand what was written it was just that i would read some sentences and then think "that really should have been 3 sentences" or "my, was that a convoluted way to phrase things"
>>
>>7495070
>"my, was that a convoluted way to phrase things"
That's how I feel about Pynchon.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.