[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
E-Reader
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 71cX-o-Ad4L._SX522_.jpg (67 KB, 522x522) Image search: [Google]
71cX-o-Ad4L._SX522_.jpg
67 KB, 522x522
Don't know if it's 100% related to /lit/, but due to Christmas and what not, I'm thinking of getting an E-Reader.
Any recommendations?
Currently favouring a Kindle, to be honest.
Also where do I find Warhammer and Star Wars books? :(
>>
>>7491051
Get the powerful, full-featured Fire HD tablet—with beautiful 7" HD display, 2x faster quad-core processer, unsurpassed reliability in its class, and dual speakers with Dolby Digital Audio.
>>
>>7491063
Currently have a Nexus 7 which I use more than frequently.
Only issue is that it's a bit too heavy to hold it up all the time while reading, also I'd kinda prefed the screens of the E-Readers a tad better for longer reading sessions, I guess.
>>
Nobody else?
>>
>>7491051
If you have trouble reading on a computer screen then I think the kindle does a pretty good job of emulating the feeling of reading from paper
>>
>>7491222
That's about my main issue, as I'm getting a lot of eyestrain when I'm reading something longer on my PC display or the projected pages during my Uni courses.
Thanks for the info though.
>>
i bought one of the kindle 6" on sale a few months ago. its been amazing. There's no backlight, and no extraneous shit, so its just an infinite number of books at hand. books are really easy to find online. I'd definitely recommend it.
>>
>>7491063
Get a paperwhite if you don't want any distractions at all. last year's model mite b cool.
>>
Paperwhite -- it is the best e-reader out right now. 1 or 2 I guess, doesn't really matter.

Then download Calibre and manage your eBooks through there. You may convert .epub to .mobi (the file the kindle reads) and send books straight from that application to your Kindle.

Finding eBooks is not too hard if you're willing to spend some time figuring out the places to go. If it's a classic, well known piece then it's likely to just pop right up when you type in "[classic/popular book] mobi download." Some of the newer/less known books are going to be more difficult -- the most reliable in terms of finding your content would be http://gen.lib.rus.ec/foreignfiction. There are many active users in the file sharing application Soulseek; all you have to do is go into the eBooks room. Next, check here and /r/ from time to time. You can just hit catalogue and search "request" or "share" or "dump."

Enjoy the E-Reader.
>>
>>7491294
Would you still chose the non backlit version over the backlit one?
I usually read literature during night time/in bed, so I guess the backlit would be also good for me then.
>>
>>7491307
Go backlit for sure, unless you enjoy/can have the light on while in bed.
>>
>>7491301
>>7491305

Is there a huge difference between the two models?
Also thanks for the link, Anon, really appreciate it!
Will try my luck there later on, when I get home.
Guess I'll find many books for my trash tier literature taste.
>>
>>7491091
Don't listen ta >>7491063

He's yankin yer chain, m8
>>
Just ordered it, Anon.
Thanks for all the input!
Do I also need a cover for it?
>>
>>7492713
only if you want to hide the fact that you're carrying a kindle so you don't get robbed, or if you're an accident prone dummy, or if you get super bored of reading and let dust pile on the screen.
>>
>>7493429
Yeah, also ordered one, as I sometimes have like two left hands.
Also don't want my display to get damaged.

Now I need to look through the site >>7491305 linked me and get the stuff I want to read.
>>
>>7494207
Check the huge share thread on /lit/ also.
And for stuff that's no longer copyrighted, you can use gutenberg.org to get it for free.
>>
a screen protector (plastic adhesive sheet) is like a dollar, and protects it for life. A case is perfect and will save it from sun damage, spilled drinks, dust etc, a decent once costs like 10 bucks.

Well worth investing in both, I have had a kindle for many years, it's never let me down.
>>
Hey /lit/, am I right that Britbong libraries do ebooks in ePub format, and that it's a pain/impossible to convert them to Amazon's format? I'm leaning toward Kobo because of this, plus the fact that Amazon seem to be gits.
>>
>>7496360
Not really, you just use calibre and it takes like 30 seconds to convert it to .mobi
I'd still go for a kobo if I had had the money and the availability, though.
>>
>>7491307
>>7491317

By that I'm assuming he means "frontlit," but the general idea is that lighted e-readers are superior. Esp. if you read in bed, in a car, or on a plane.
>>
>>7496390
Cheers, I did just that.
>>
>>7491339
I second the Papwerwhite. Bought one last year and I love it.

There's a Wireless model that basically lets you connect to any wireless access point, and theres a 3G model that lets you be online anywhere like with your phone (I have the former; I don't like being connected all the time, but now I kind of wish I had gotten the 3G).
>>
Go for the Kindle. I have a Kobo Aura HD - it's fine - but probably inferior, and a bit dated.

Also, e-readers are always worth it. Unlimited free books.
>>
Paperwhite 3
>>
File: 1448968462547.jpg (4 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1448968462547.jpg
4 MB, 2000x2000
What's the cheapest ereader?
I'm just trying to read.
>>
>>7497507
The 6' Kindle is great as said previously. It is cheap and is perfect if you just want to read.
>>
>>7496292
Ordered it with a case, and will probably also order a screen protector thingy later, as I haven't found a decent one on Amazon for under 10€.
It should survive the first few weeks without one, I guess.

>>7496274
Did it and found already a few Star Wars/Warhammer books I have sitting on my shelf, but didn't want to read in bed yet.
Guess they'll collect even more dust now!
I know I have a shit taste.
>>
>>7491051

I just got myself a Kobo Touch 2.0, it's awesome.

Plus, most of the firmware is open source, and you can replace the internal memory (it's actually a micro-sd card).

It also has an internal browser.

I am satisfied.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.