[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>See Force Awakens and suddenly interested in Star Wars lore
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: star-wars-books.jpg (124 KB, 475x512) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-books.jpg
124 KB, 475x512
>See Force Awakens and suddenly interested in Star Wars lore again
>Ask around about EU and get recommended the Thrawn trilogy
>Already in the middle of other reading, but a nice detour until my obsession clears would be nice
>Find a copy of first book and begin reading
>First couple pages is boring, pedestrian narration from the perspective of some ship officer
>Exposition, exposition, exposition
>Bum-bum-bum! Action scene coming up!

Fucking dropped. Why do shiterature writers treat their stuff like it's a movie, and only use the mode of literature to dump exposition from every available character's head-space?

Are there any franchise cash-in novels that actually have any tiniest bit of merit?
>>
File: 1425537258872.jpg (42 KB, 432x607) Image search: [Google]
1425537258872.jpg
42 KB, 432x607
>>7488617
>liking star wars
>>
>>7488617
I remember really liking "Eve: the empyrean age" when I was 16-17, but honestly I knew nothing about literature at the time and can't say with any surety that it was any better than the books you just tried.
>>
File: Richard_Castle_17227.jpg (314 KB, 1544x920) Image search: [Google]
Richard_Castle_17227.jpg
314 KB, 1544x920
>>
>>7488675
I think I've turned myself away from junk lit. I remember picking up a Dean Koontz short because I hadn't read him in a while and I just had to stop.

Then again, I'm probably being overly picky. I almost didn't read One Hundred Years of Solitude because I did not like the narration (I had just got done reading Nabokov's The Eye, for a frame of reference), but I got used to it and realized I was a fucking fool for almost not reading one of the greatest books ever.
>>
Go play the games or read the comics, novelizations are shit and don't even make up for most of the EU.
>>
>>7488732
See now that sounds like an interesting way to tie in stuff to a show. I approve.
>>
Star Wars is way better in visual form. Play KOTOR or the Jedi Knight games, watch CW or TCW, and read some comics.
>>
>>7488808
Everything recommended here is great. The 2nd Clone Wars is really underrated, there are some in depth and interesting plotlines
>>
The Thrawn books are legit terrible. The only reason Star Wars fans recommend them is because they genuinely don't know what a good book is actually like
>>
Honestly the only Star Wars book worth reading is Deathtroopers as long as you treat it like it isnt related to Star Wars
>>
It's honestly kind of impressive that Star Wars books are worse than fucking Warhammer 40,000 books.

It's like, if a turd took a dump
>>
>>7488808
This, also Jedi Academy and Rogue Squadron.
>>
I want to get into the EU. What books do you guys recommend reading? I heard Palpatine comes back as a cyborg or something and tries to tempt Luke once again. That sounds like a pretty fun narrative. Do you recommend those novels at least?

There are so many fucking books and comics I have no idea where to start. I already plan to play both KOTOR games since I really like the jedi aspect of the universe.
>>
>>7489998
I've read lots and lots of them. I like the ones where I already know the characters, so the get past a lot of the character building quickly.

It really depends on what style of story you like. Mystery? Force heavy? Series? One of the fastest reads I had of these are the X-Wing series. It's like reading a book about fighter pilots in any dogfight era.

Shadows of the Empire is a great place to start because it has known characters and some of the new characters are involved in other EU stuff. Plus it fills in a gap between IV and V.
>>
>>7490552
I don't really care about the soldier story stuff so things like fighter pilots and soldier stories do not interest me.

I'm really interested in force heavy stuff. I know a lot of people will hate to hear me say this, but I like the more mystical elements to Star Wars the most.
>>
Star Wars Tales has always been purely non-canon so don't bother with it if you care about that sort of thing but it has some nice little stories in it. It was storytimed on /co/ not long ago, might still be in the archives.
>>
>>7490656
Try Darth Plaeguis or the Darth Bane Trilogy then. Lots of Dark Side theories and more about using the force to advance the Sith.

There's a book called Old Republic: Revan that is jammed full of force material. Yoda: Dark Rendezvous works some of that stuff in with his relationship with Dooku.

Labyrinth of Evil and The Rise of Darth Vader focus on Obi-wan Anakin respectively and are written by the same guy. They're not as force heavy from what I remember., but still good.
>>
>>7488617
>mocks thrawn trilogy for being pedestrian
>enjoyed the force awakens
nigga are you retarded
>>
>>7490695
Thanks a bunch anon I'll look into those!
>>
>>7490717
I forgot all about the Jedi Academy Trilogy starting with Jedi Search. Half of it is about Luke starting up a new Jedi Academy after Return of the Jedi.
>>
>>7490707
The Thrawn trilogy is about force-immune salamanders and Jedi clones.
>>
>>7490695
>>7490717
Seconded.
>>
>>7488815
I was reading about that weird shit with the Brother and the Sister the other day and I am immediately in doubt of your tastes.
>>
>>7490758
Still better than Karen Traviss' "I want to be fucked by a Mandalorian" exposition across multiple books.
>>
>>7490949
A lot of things work better as tv then as summaries.
>>
>>7490758
Star Wars is about aliens in another galaxy and a magic power that lets you read minds and move things. What the fuck is your point
>>
>>7491720
>magic power that lets you read minds
This ability has been revealed only in ep. VII tho
>>
>>7490717
y'r w
>>
Well I thought I was being too stuck-up and continued. Read to the end of the second chapter and I'm done. This shit reads like a high school creative writing assignment.
>>
>>7492515
What exactly were you expecting? They are even good genre novels, it's just poorly written schlock by literally who's to make some money on the brand name.
>>
File: daisy.jpg (34 KB, 181x181) Image search: [Google]
daisy.jpg
34 KB, 181x181
>>7492550
Honestly, I'd say I got just about what I expected.
>>
>>7491757
Vader reads Lukes mind in VI
>>
Start reading Dune, pleb
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.