[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm not a huge fan of DFW but this movie was really damn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: 9ae.jpg (158 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
9ae.jpg
158 KB, 1920x1080
I'm not a huge fan of DFW but this movie was really damn good and now I wish I could have had a 3-hour conversation with him.
>>
I can't decide if Ready Player One or The Martian is my #1 literature for 2015.
>>
>>7487927
6/10
>>7487932
9/10
>>
>>7487927
The forced relationship drama really killed it for me.
>>
This movie was fucking terrible. As a movie an as anything else. If depression didn't drive DFW to suicide, seeing this certainly would have.
>>
>>7487937
I know but the good parts were so good that I can forget them
>>
File: wellmemed.jpg (167 KB, 529x705) Image search: [Google]
wellmemed.jpg
167 KB, 529x705
>the part where he got the girl's number and DFW got butthurt at him in the kitchen

Really cringe.
>>
>>7487943
It seems like DFW just repeats the same shit in every single interview he gave so the movie wasn't that entertaining since nothing he says in it is especially new.
>>
>>7487944
he was most likely prone to cringeness IRL desu
>>
>>7487959
Sure, but that part seemed for some odd reason like bread for the circus and not actually something that really happened.

Throughout the whole movie he is framed as some profound person just with personal issues, and when that scene came on I realized I was watching a movie, and that it wasn't as biographical as it purports to be.

This is just my opinion though, mind you.
>>
The dancing at the end was sad :^(

The rest was just ick. Xerolube? Fuck off.
>>
>>7487966
well the problem with a biographical(kind of) movie is that you have to compress a whole person(in this case a complex one) into 90 minutes

the movie does fumble at times but overall IMO they did a pretty good job
>>
>>7487959
This is water was painful for everyone.
>>
File: image.jpg (202 KB, 1241x1219) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
202 KB, 1241x1219
>>7487974
Compared to what? His actual biography? The movie was just Saint Dave, not the lying alcoholic plagiarist who turned writing into an extended Turing test and produced a bunch of fun reads and Endless Fun.
>>
>>7487958
This.
I didn't think the movie was bad because I kind of like dfw, but just about everything he says is just a rehash of infinite jest. I think the only theme in the movie that isn't from infinite jest is the idea of how an artists portrayal. There's this idea running throughout the movie all about how Dave Wallace is portrayed, versus how he wants to be seen versus who he actually is. That was cool to watch but the rest was pretty much an analysis of infinite jest by two guys in a car.
>>
>>7487988
>extended Turing test

Very nice way of putting it.

They had a few lines in the movie where he explained his same, tired "paradoxes" which are always exactly the same idea about how your intentions are based off of guessing other people's intentions, but they made it sound like it was deep or something and the reviewers seemed to like that stuff, but after hearing it in every fucking interview and in almost every single character he ever wrote it just comes off completely trite and I want to slap him.
>>
>>7487927
This movie was so fucking bad though
You could get the same out of this as watching a DFW interview or by reading Infinite Jest
>>
File: 62456457345.png (192 KB, 384x405) Image search: [Google]
62456457345.png
192 KB, 384x405
>>7487976
This is water is great when you realize it's ironic.
>>
>>7488357
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91ytSdSM-Kk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkxUY0kxH80

This.
>>
>>7488537
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfjjSj9coA0
what's the closest interview to his death?
>>
>>7487988

Can I get a reference for the plagiarism? Serious question, not a meme or endless fun. I don't know about it.
>>
File: 14492765208160.png (932 KB, 933x854) Image search: [Google]
14492765208160.png
932 KB, 933x854
>>7488926
Not that Broom is terrible but it is a ripoff of Latke 49. It makes me cringe. He even swore he never read Pynchon after it was published. Also the Eschaton chapter was Delillo & one of his short stories got him into legal trouble. Annnnd the whole Ennet House saga, including Gately, are lifted intact from real life. I still enjoy it all, but sheesh.
>>
>>7488956

But is it plagiarised or influenced by?

And I don't understand what you mean by the Ennet House thing. It was something that happened that he wrote about and it's plagiarised? I don't get what you're saying.
>>
>>7488978
When you say 'Hey look what I came up with'—which it's not a stretch to say he did—you better have come up with it.
>>
>>7487941
Could you imagine him watching this? I'd pay good money to see that. Of course I'd record it so we get some fresh reaction pics.
>>
>>7487932
>reddit player one or The Memetian

gotta be bait please be bait
>>
I always thought DFW's silence on Thomas Pynchon was always kind of strange, because it's so obvious. His novels read like someone who believes Stephen King is true artistic merit but wants the literary community to orbit him like Pynchon or Joyce.

I think it was Borges who said no writers love living writers, or something to that degree.
>>
>>7489213
>no writers love living writers

honestly I think that applies to almost all great artists

they're so driven because they believe no one else is expressing it right what they want to express, that everyone else is getting it wrong

that and they tend to be egoist as fuck and will not tolerate feeling jealous
>>
Eisenberg was garbage as always
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.