[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A Nietzsche Reader
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: shit.jpg (9 KB, 256x400) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
9 KB, 256x400
So i found A Nietzsche Reader published by penguin at a relatives house. I have not ever really tried to get in to philosophy, but from the banter on this board I gather that Penguin is shit at it. So is it worth reading, or will it give me a false overview of Nietzsche?
>>
Neitzsche isn't a good place to start.

Read a history of Philosophy first.

Magee's Story of Philosophy is good.
>>
>>7487348
Too general and light of an overview of Nietzsche, bad translation, and an awful place to begin with philosophy as a whole.
>>
To start I recommend 'a History of Western philosophy' by based Sir Bertrand Russell
>>
>>7487459
Poor choice. He's misunderstands many philosophers and has a clear bias.
>>
File: jewsdidthis.jpg (967 KB, 899x2510) Image search: [Google]
jewsdidthis.jpg
967 KB, 899x2510
I would try to avoid anything from the last 200 years when it comes to philosophy. Something happened to the human race and it went downhill pretty quickly.

Definitely go back before then though, its all really interesting.
>>
>>7487480
Stop being such a pleb
>>
>>7487389
>>7487450
>>7487459
>>7487465
Cheers
>>
>>7487480
I hope this is bait
>>
>>7487389
>>7487450
>>7487459
>>7487465
Is there an entry level philosopher?
I bought the Complete Works of Plato and a bunch of Nietzsche books and realized it was a mistake.
I'm kind of afraid to even start reading them due to them being so "difficult" to grasp, tho it might also be the fact they're in english and that's not my native language.
>>
>>7487603
Apology of Socrates
Discourse on the Method and Meditations
Was ist Aufklärung?

These are all solid philosophical texts for a beginner that require no previous knowledge to be understood.
>>
>>7487603
Plato really is entry level. The complete works should have the easier works around socrates' trial and death in the beginning.
>>
>>7488021
He has accessible works, but that does not mean they aren't complex.
>>
File: 9780140430011-us-300.jpg (25 KB, 300x494) Image search: [Google]
9780140430011-us-300.jpg
25 KB, 300x494
This cover always reminds me of my Penguin Classics copy of Wuthering Heights.
They're really fond of their hill paintings over at Penguin.
>>
>>7488837
>They're really fond of their hill paintings over at Penguin.

No doubt an allusion over where they are.
>>
Some anon made an incredible Google doc several months ago about getting into philo and which works to start with etc... it was pasted in many many threads at the time so im sure some other anon has it saved and csn link it for you? I'm on my phone but if the thread hasn't died when I get back and no one's posted it yet I'll link it to you, I thought it was an incredibly well executed guide with links to articles as well as pictures of "getting into ... " for diff time periods and thinkers reccomending which books to start and finish with
>>
>>7488854
kek, hadn't actually occurred to me but it is quite apt.
>>
>>7488873
I remember that doc, IDK if he ever finished it but it was an impressive effort.
>>
>>7488895
Is this what you're talking about? https://docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
>>
>>7489984
>https://docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
yeah thats it man thanks for the link
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.