[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Septimus Heap series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: SeptimusHeap7bks.jpg (403 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
SeptimusHeap7bks.jpg
403 KB, 2000x2000
I've read that these are a bit of a Harry Potter knockoff. What does /lit/ think of the series?

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Septimus_Heap
>>
looks pleb af
>>
>>7487313
I remember reading the first two when they came out. Can't believe they made that many more. I remember liking them, but I was young and had bad taste. They probably suck.
>>
>>7487313
Seems pretty derivative of other fantasy novels.
Have not read anything about them that said they are horrendous.
>>
>>7487313
I loved them when I was little. They are much more like the Last Dragon Chronicles than HP, designed for younger children than HP but deals with darker themes too.

Later books are shit.
>>
Le epic word misspellings
>>
File: 1423015525119.jpg (25 KB, 190x222) Image search: [Google]
1423015525119.jpg
25 KB, 190x222
>>7487313

>The series follows the adventures of Septimus Heap who, as a seventh son of a seventh son, has extraordinary magical powers.
>>
99.9% of fantasy are authors are basically copying from more popular authors. There are only rare cases of people actually having creativity and create something non generic.

After reading the plot summary wikipedia I can guarantee you that this neither unique nor in any form non generic. It is just another of probably hundreds of "boy goes to magic school etc.". It's just riding on the popularity of Harry Potter to grad of some fans who want to read more of the same.

You have to understand that most fantasy is targeting a young audience so there is no writing skill or uniqueness needed for books to sell well. Authors only include simple concepts like moral absolutes "evil wizard" ,lol, to not draw their audience away by requiring them to think.
>>
>>7487367
>Septimus is born on the same day, but is declared dead by the midwife, who steals the baby and brings him to DomDaniel, an evil wizard.
>>
>>7487367

nice Kraftwerk pic
>>
>>7487313
Shouldn't it be "wyzard apprentiss" instead?
>>
>>7487583
There were at least two popular children's television programs about schools for wizards/witches that aired in the UK long before Rowling put pen to paper.
>>
Read about six of them years ago; nothing like Harry Potter. I liked them more than Rowling’s novels, but would not recommend them to anyone who is not a child.
>>
>>7487700
This.
They were enjoyable, but unless you are now starting to read and want something easy /captivating, i wouldn't recommend it to you.

Fun fact, she started a spin off book set in the same universe. It's in my bookmarks in my tracker... but I don't know if I should read it .
>>
>>7487610
Thanks.
>>
>>7487672
I dont doubt you, even goethe wrote about wizards and their apprentices. Still Harry Potter was extremly popular and it sparked alot of very similar books/series.

Thats also what most of fantasy today is. Just a couple of storys wich were popular in the past retold hundreds of times, some changed settings, characters etc. but esetially the same. There is no other serious genre which consists of so many copy cats like fantasy.

If you were to rewrite Lord of the Rings in modern language and change the names, no one would notice because so many books are esentially the same, you might even (if you are lucky get on some bestseller lists. People who read Fantasy dont value originallity they want some easy read which looks nice on a bookshelve.
>>
>>7487313
Imagine the level of soul crushing despair this author must feel to leave this shit as a legacy. What an existential crisis to be rewarded for being mediocre.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.