[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Horror Novel Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: tumblr_nb40k9TxAW1t442xfo4_1280.jpg (173 KB, 800x628) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nb40k9TxAW1t442xfo4_1280.jpg
173 KB, 800x628
Hey so I want to start writing horror stories, and dipping in what other people have wrote too. The reason I'm doing so is because I feel like every horror movie made is retarded or family friendly level. I want to make my own horror story that will push the envelope and boundaries. Books should be a better medium because, you don't have to be rich to project your story to a huge audience, and be more liberal with your ideas. I'm buying these books from amazon, anyone have good recommendations.

Revival: A Novel by Stephen King
Survivor by J. F. Gonzalez
Brain Cheese Buffet by Edward Jr. Lee
The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum
>>
>>7487123
Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis was... readable.

The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea was oddly haunting.
>>
>>7487123
There's plenty of terrific horror movies, OP. The Shining, The Babadook, Nosferatu, Let The Right One In; just to name a few of the wondrous films.

Even though this board gives him some flak, really enjoyed the H. P. Lovecraft's work. Also suggest Pet Cemetery by Stephen King. King's not the best author but his creations have sometimes had some interesting uniqueness to them.
>>
>>7487166
>The Shining

But the movie was garbage as a horror film. It was a dumbed down slasher flick where Jack loses his mind for no reason, it butchered (pun intended) the characters and completely fucked up Kings masterpiece.
>>
>>7487190
>Jack loses his mind for no reason
What the fuck are you talking about? Supernatural intervention would cause many a person to lose their finite marbles. I preferred Kubrick's cut over King's exponentially.
>>
>>7487206
You prefer "Oh lord I got spooked, time to kill my family with an axe I'm just so damn NUTS (also he started losing his mind before the thing with the woman in the bathroom, as is implied with the "No play makes Jack a dull boy" thing)" to hundreds of pages of character building and great, LONG, depressing struggle as a family only made worse by this supernatural power (the hotel itself) that slowly tears them apart, which climaxes into a sad and touching scene between a father and son before bursting into an explosive finale. Well that's your right, I guess.
>>
File: 1409355328680.jpg (23 KB, 248x254) Image search: [Google]
1409355328680.jpg
23 KB, 248x254
>>7487166
>>7487190
>>7487206
>>7487226
You guys mind not talking about films when OP asked about books? I can guarantee there is a thread on /tv/ where people are having the argument you two are having right now

>>7487123
OP I've asked a similar question "What is the best horror has to offer?", and haven't gotten much.

House on Silent Hill, The Yellow King, all of Kafka, and The Turn of the Screw are supposedly some of the best, King is OK, and there wasnt much else besides that guy who wrote House of Leaves.

Turn is pretty good, nothing really horrific just creepy because of religion and pedophilia.

A coworker of mine read House from my recommendation even though I havent read it (I told her this), and she got back to me saying that it really went no where.

King is OK. House of Leaves had some pretty good moments.

Kafka by far is the best. Has variety and be creepy/horrifying in different ways.

Never read LoveCraft. Heard Mountain of Madness is good.
>>
>>7487259
Shining is a pretty good book for OP, if he want's to write a horror story. It has a splendid example of a shock/surprise/almost jumpscare-like scene.
>>
>>7487190
You're wrong.
>>
>>7487294
I watched the movie 10 minutes after finishing reading the last page of the book, so I agree my mindset wasnt the same as the average movie-goer but I think my points in >>7487226
are valid.
>>
File: narl-thumb-550x487.jpg (40 KB, 450x398) Image search: [Google]
narl-thumb-550x487.jpg
40 KB, 450x398
>>7487259
Im reading this right now. H.p is good in his own right because I think he is one of the first to make monsters that are like the flood/the thing. His work is very imaginative, I love the monsters that he creates. But reading it is so taxing because of the big words he uses, and a lot of times the main character is just describing how horrific everything is, when it seems more horrific to them then what I'm reading. The mountains of madness is a cool story, does drag on, on some parts where I like roll my eyes and go ok already. I also wish HP was gorey. I see stuff like cannibal corpse and torture methods, gore videos, autopsies, surgery videos, videos about diseases and torture methods and think man why is entertainment never this shocking, it never makes me feel shakey, and light headed like this. So I wanna make a book like that. That shows how nature is indifferent to suffering.

Another thing too I want to mention. Every time I see a review for a horror authors book, there is always a comment that says "Hes right there with H.P love craft and poe" I hate that they have to be the ones that are the epitaph of "horror" they are both not horror masters, they might be fathers of the genre, but to me they are not masters. No one can think of a more original line than that? Hp is not scary in the way that im not gona be able to sleep at night.

I wanna read Kafka cuzz im scared of bugs, and the king in yellow cuzz it sounds cool idk what its about. But besides "the best horror books" I wanna find some brutal books too.
>>
>>7487308
Woops this
>>
>>7487308
I think that his best work doesn't suffer so much from this. The Shadow Over Innsmouth, The Colour Out of Space and At the Mountains of Madness all don't over-describe and shit as bad as the rest of his stuff, especially Call of Cthulhu. Everything he wrote except those 3 is mediocre to okay, but those 3 stories are great.

Dagon is pretty good too, but it is essentially one scene.
>>
>>7487311
>>7487308
>edited by joyce carol oates
i never read anything with something like this on it, it means you aren't getting the authentic experience.

get pic related instead
>>
>>7487295
I think the only real issue with movie Jack is that he didn't seem like a loving father at the beginning, and he didn't resist his "posession" at all. He was a tragic figure in the book, but in the movie it was just "holy shit this crazy asshole dad finally snapped"
>>
>>7488273
>authentic experience
lol
>>
>>7488288
>reading classics as edited by some shmuck
>not knowing what are edits and what aren't
kill yourself
>>
Joe R. Lansdale does some hick-uncle-campfire-spicy horror. A must read, he has his own style that's really good. A lot better than Ed Lee.

I'd avoid Ed Lee if I was you, he is "retarded" level.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.