[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LOVECRAFT: Say, hypothetically, the Lovecraftian universe is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: a2703310642_10.jpg (753 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a2703310642_10.jpg
753 KB, 1200x1200
LOVECRAFT:
Say, hypothetically, the Lovecraftian universe is our universe... In terms of the great old ones and the outer gods, which is most terrifying for you/humanity?

(I've post this question on /x/ too to see the difference in replies, should be an interesting read)
>>
>>7483395
Humans.
Great Old Ones and the Outer Gods aren't evil in essence, just utterly alien. They could be compared to our predators like tigers and lions, who treat humans either as pests or meat.
Humans, on the other hand. The whole history of mankind is a testament to their terror, and when you think humans can't get any worse, they surprise you.
>>
File: 1450568897325.jpg (79 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1450568897325.jpg
79 KB, 500x500
>>7483425
This post is SO FUCKING BAD
>>
>>7483425
oh pls
>>
>>7483395
Azathoth, because he will wake and the dream will end.
>>
The existence of any one of them implies the existence of all, picking and choosing doesn't really make sense. Even if they all ignore us we'll just die out pointlessly eventually anyway, it's the nature of the very universe that is scary.
>>
Definitely Dagon. Dagon resides on earth and is capable of transforming humans into fishpeople who eventually go and live with the damned thing in the unfathomable depths of the ocean. Jesus christ just imagine that.
>>
>>7483685
I was in your mom's pussy last night, I don't have to
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 275x183
>>7483685
>>capable of transforming humans into fishpeople
Allah and God bless that cool guy!
So great that time of bald tailless monkeys would gone soon!
>>
>>7483688
sav af
>>
I don't know SHIT about the mythos someone post an infographic or a hasty tier list of the main gods
>>
>>7483719
desu you're better off avoiding that shit like the fucking plague

lovecraft is one of those "nerd hobbies" where 99% of people into it are fucking retards who don't get why the original actual nerds liked it and are just carrying it on because it's Part Of The Culture, and they confuse all the obvious salient aspects of the uppermost superficial layer for the real meat of it

the fact that cthulhu is probably the one you know, while he's actually very minor and his story is one of the most boring and least representative of what makes lovecraft actually literarariarily interesting, is a good tip-off

ignore the mythos, read the stories and see if you enjoy cosmic horror as a vibe, read the later dream sequence stuff to see if you like that, and piece together the stupid fucking pantheon on your own as you go along if you're so inclined
>>
>>7483730
This to be candid famalam

The "mythos" isn't what makes Lovecraft good, it's the stories themselves. Ignore the wannabe patrician nerds who think a literary equivalent to the fucking Marvel movies is a good thing (as if someone as genre-centric as Lovecraft good even be a patrician choice anyway).

My favorite stories of his are Color out of Space and Dunwich Horror.
>>
>>7483685
Dagon is not capable of turning people into fish.
Only the deep one can do that and it's only by having sex with women and turning their children into hybrids.

Hint: The Dagon in Dagon is a different Dagon from the Esoteric Order of Dagon in The Shadow over Innsmouth
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.