[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it reasonable to try to become an English professor, or is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Mark_Edmundson_03_HRSS (1).jpg (85 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
Mark_Edmundson_03_HRSS (1).jpg
85 KB, 1000x667
Is it reasonable to try to become an English professor, or is the market for Lib Arts professors flooded?
>>
depends on how good you are at writing publishable stuff and dependant on that how willing you are to relocate.
>>
>>7482797

Why?

Just go teach at a rich white high school and make $120,000/year (those are 2002 numbers) and just put on documentaries all day.

That's what my high school teachers did. Just get tenure and work on your original work literally the rest of your life. Simple.
>>
>>7482926
Wh-where? I went to a rich private school and know for a fact my teachers didn't make that much.
>>
Just make a youtube show where you review and analyze classic works of literature, but you have this wacky professor persona and make jokes about current pop culture.
>>
>>7482797
If you're passionate, extremely talented, willing to work unbelievably hard, and can work office politics then yeah being an English professor is pretty doable. Academia in general is cut-throat and the pay for a LOT of people is shit. Especially towards the liberal arts.

I'm not trying to dissuade you so much as let you know what you're up against. It's a god damn war zone out there.
>>
>>7482936

Then your definition of rich and private is too low or your teachers were lying to you.
>>
read this
http://www.weeklystandard.com/so-youre-getting-a-ph.d./article/1059359
then reconsider your entire academic career
>>
>UVA
>>
>>7482952
>change your entire lifegoals!! i've got a magazine article

lmao the narcissism
>>
>>7482948
of you're lying to us. which seems more likely.

the only career path for an english professor is to teach others to become english professors. kinda circular.
>>
>>7482952
Upon reading this I find it deplorable.
>>
>>7482926
I went to a highly renowned private Jesuit school and not a single teacher had such a salary (starting at 35,000~36,000), despite making a very comfortable one (80,000~85,000) after eight to ten years, with the most experienced ones earning 100,000~120,000. Your figures are dubious at best.
>>
>>7482943
A R I S T O T L E
W A S
R
O
N
G
>>
If you want to be constantly afraid of getting fired because some SJW feminist goes and report you for using the wrong pronouns or have people protesting you for making them read too many books by white men, then sure go ahead.
>>
>>7484704
This also frightens me as a white male in today's society to be honest with you family.
>>
>>7484928
I have the feeling it's restricted to United States. There are no gender studies' departement in my country, nor there are “LGBT+” groups on campus, queer theory, trigger warnings, “third wave” feminism—if it's how you call it—or, overall, affirmative action. I haven't even seen a transgender person, and problems like bathrooms use or correct pronouns don't happen, to the point I wouldn't know they exist without the internet or Bruce Jenner.
>>
>>7482797
So I'm in this profession. You can probably find work because freshman comp always requires a load of instructors. If you're expecting a tenure track job, I don't know what you can expect if you're still an undergrad. Most colleges are dealing with budget cuts and avoiding creating tenure-path positions. I was hired in Fall, only ONE person in the entire group of new hires, for the entire university, was a tenure-track hire.

I made more money teaching high school. I earn 35k for fall and spring semesters. With college teaching hours, that sounds nice and all, but if you're stuck with freshman comp, which could be for your entire career as I've seen a lot of old people in my same position, you'll be grading 500-800 essays a semester... it's exhausting and tedious. I'm about to quit. I made more teaching high school and want to write full time. There's nice stuff about it, but it's not a living wage, especially if you're hired as an itinerant. Those beautiful 300+ level courses aren't likely to be courses you'll get to teach unless you do some sort of prestigious, exclusive PhD program that hires their own graduates.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.