[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking about buying this. Has anyone read it? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: thinking-fast-and-slow.png (124 KB, 525x690) Image search: [Google]
thinking-fast-and-slow.png
124 KB, 525x690
I'm thinking about buying this. Has anyone read it? What did you think about it?
>>
avoid all pop sci books that have to do with rationality or happiness
>>
>>7481033
But Kahneman is a real economist.
>>
>>7481043
>economists ever being right
>>
File: the_happy_shitposter.png (666 KB, 960x854) Image search: [Google]
the_happy_shitposter.png
666 KB, 960x854
>>7481045
>this meme again
>>
>>7481012
Also thinking of reading this. I have heard it can be repetitive though.

If you're looking for a fast read from two very well regarded behavioral economist/legal thinkers, I would recommend Nudge by Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein
>>
I've read 60 pages, had to put it away. Its so fucking slow
>>
>>7481051

>Economy is anything more than witch-doctory meme

Agreed. And everyone is falling for it.
>>
It's really just a list of common fallacies. The info is very useful but it could probably be condensed into a few pages of the fallacies and an explanation of each. Try to find the info online for yourself, the book is too long for the content it teaches.
>>
>>7481240
this
>>
>>7481012
I liked it. I expected something else entirely but it was basically all facts.

>>7481206
>>7481213
Listen to the audiobook. I played it for an hour before bed over the course of a week and I felt it was worth my time. Plus I got a genuinely affective sleep aid out of it. That's not to say the book is boring though.
>>
I saw a summary of each chapter in an Amazon review. Looked completely worthless tbf.

You should read it though. The more plebs are occupied with this trash, the less competition for me in general.

The slaves of this world will always be slaves. Doesn't matter how many books like this they read. I hope he addresses the fallacy of hopping onto this bandwagon because the guy is an economist.
>>
I've read it and its great. It's written by a psychologist and he summarises his many years of research in am accessible way. This is a guy who's done shit and telling it himself, not some dumb pleb journalist who cites half assed psychology papers while writing in the new Yorker, Washington Post, Atlantic, or the rest of those trashy publications that you guys lick out.

He's not an economist, although it's ironic that you guys denigrate him for supposedly being one while you worship the labour theory of value and muh piketty and all sorts of bs (inb4 "reeee positivists get out!"
>>
Someone run us a tl;dr on it. All the books in this category can easily be summarized. They're all 99% filler, with a few gold nuggets hidden around a couple of corners.
>>
>>7481919
The worst part is you believe this to some degree, which is sad.
>>
>>7482012
>it can be easily summarized!
That doesn't mean the content is filler. It provides different examples to suit a variety of people.

Stop trying so hard to pooh-pooh everything.
>>
>>7482023

Sure it has cute examples of this old guy at the author's last job and his neighbour's wife and their dog and his cousin's ex and so on and so on. It's a fucking drag to read through all that shit, and everyone knows it's only there so that they can sell it as books and not pamphlets.
>>
>>7482030
Because your time is so valuable? You're either interested in the subject or you aren't. You sound like you're not so any amount of time spent on this content is a waste for you.
>>
>>7482045

There's a limit to every interest, and if I can get a tl;dr where reading the full thing will only marginally improve my knowledge of the topic, then I'd rather spend my time reading other things and shitposting on /lit/.
>>
its good, its pop-sci stuff but its still good
>>
>>7481043

Kek, you fell into a sweet trap.

Read this if you're going to be a doctor or a marketer. Else skip.
>>
>>7481012
Read about half of it, stopped reading because it was the same thing over and over again. He makes a point and then comes with over 9000 examples for every point. There are some fun facts though.
>>
>>7481043
He's a psychologist who worked with an economist to develop prospect theory, which goes about quantifying the ways that humans aren't traditionally rational.

It's a good book, and it'll give you basics on prospect theory/decision making. It's not really an economics book at all though. Recommended.
>>
It is good. Due to the fact that it includes reprints of the author's major journal articles as well as a first-hand retrospective of his life's work, the book is something between pop-sci and real science.
>>
>memes unironically guide my real world action: the board

Very sad.

Yes, it's good and no it's not slow
>>
>>7481919
you fucking faggot
>>
>>7481012
read it. It's interesting, just not literature.

Not as obsessed with giving you case studies every 2 lines but it's not interested in teaching you economics or psychology.

It's written as a light read, dont expect anything serious.
>>
>>7481012
I use it to read before bed. It gives you a lot of info regarding why people do what they do and where there are flaws in human thinking by a psychology standpoint with real studies.

It's a good read. But only if you like reading about psychology stuff.
>>
>>7483570
>it's not interested in teaching you economics or psychology.
>the entire fucking book is about psychology and how your mind cheats you

What book did you read?
>>
>>7481012
I'll put it to you this way: that book is almost on "bible" status for the autists at Less Wrong.

/thread
>>
>>7483764

Why?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.