[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Lying is man's only privilege over all other organisms.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1400950826452.jpg (80 KB, 553x567) Image search: [Google]
1400950826452.jpg
80 KB, 553x567
>Lying is man's only privilege over all other organisms. If you lie--you get to the truth! Lying is what makes me a man. Not one truth has ever been reached without first lying fourteen times or so, maybe a hundred and fourteen, and that's honorable in its own way; well, but we can't even lie with our own minds! Lie to me, but in your own way, and I'll kiss you for it. Lying in one's own way is almost better than telling the truth in someone else's way; in the first case you're a man, and in the second--no better than a bird. The truth won't go away, but life can be nailed shut; there are examples. Well, so where are we all now? With regard to science, development, thought, invention, ideals, aspirations, liberalism, reason, experience, and everything, everything, everything, we're all, without exception, still sitting in first grade! We like getting by on other people's reason--we've acquired a taste for it!

Who is the best author to read for the Christmas season, and why is he Dostoevsky?
>>
>>7479713
it seems 2 me that u have answered ur own question
>>
>>7479713
animals lie all the time, Dickens if the most comfy btw and perfect for the season
>>
>>7479713

>that entire quote

Oh look, it's a universal truth that is actually a bland generality and where I'm not actually sure whether it's the author's view or just the hcaracter's view, or the author speaking through the character in order to sarcastically make fun of the view
>>
>>7480069
Dickens is far to great and author to be reduced to trashy sentimentality.
>>
>>7480078
unlike Dostoevsky?
>>
>>7480076
I think when it's Satan doing the talking you can be confident it's not the authors own views.
>>
>>7479713
Where is this from? It sounds like a lie.
>>
>>7480079
what Dostoevsky's A Christmas Carol?
>>
>>7479713
>2+2=5
>If anyone could prove to me that Christ is outside the truth, and if the truth really did exclude Christ, I should prefer to stay with Christ and not with truth.
OK, Feo, OK.
>>
>>7480076
>looking at it as black and white
Dostoevsky is expressing both his view and the opposite of his view. Christ is the truth, and Satan is the father of lies, the deceiver. On the other hand, Dostoevsky considers Satan preferable to Bentham. All this coming ironically from a character whose name means "to reason".
>>
>>7480087
A Kristmas Karol
>>
>>7480087
Crime and Punishment, obviously.
>>
>Lying is man's only privilege over all other organisms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ISzf2pryI

B
T
F
O
>>
bymp
>>
>>7480139
such a cute dog :3
>>
>>7479713
actually, there's a fairly relevant story by dostoevsky that has to do with lying. the dream of a ridiculous man.
>>
>>7480086
Crime and punishment

Unless my memory is fucked AND OP is messing with us, in which case it's anna karenina
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.