[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which city of the world do you consider as the bohemian/creative
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 10
File: 2015-12-12 06.44.01 1.jpg (506 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-12 06.44.01 1.jpg
506 KB, 1280x960
Which city of the world do you consider as the bohemian/creative capital similar to Paris between 1870-1960? (pic unrelated)
>>
>>7479452
Portland
>>
>>7479452
it's the internet age, that doesn't exist anymore
by the way, it was without a doubt new york after 1945, not paris
>>
>>7479452
You should try Phnom Penh
>>
>>7479452
Tumblr
>>
Flat Rock, North Carolina

Home of Carl Sandburg
>>
>>7479463
>it's the internet age, that doesn't exist anymore

This
>>
>>7479491
lots of goats here. Sometimes the friendly ones talk to me.
>>
>>7479452
/lit/
>>
4chan
>>
williamsburg brooklyn
:^)
>>
File: 1352478236212.jpg (7 KB, 440x353) Image search: [Google]
1352478236212.jpg
7 KB, 440x353
Too long a range, my man. Your query includes fin-de-siecle Vienna (arguably the best) and Belle Epoque Paris along with a lot of shit in between. But if not Paris, the answer is obviously New York, New York, USA. You're welcome.
>>
>>7479463
/thread
>>
>>7479504
I went once, but only scumbags and assholes I found.... In which neighborhood are the intellectual?
>>
Anywhere without cultureless white bois.
>>
>>7479515
>In which neighborhood are the intellectual[s]
Nowhere specific.
p.s. NYC is only an artist town today because it's populated. it doesnt have that vibe anymore.
I'm a writer and I work out of Toronto
My cousin is too and she's in Paris
you can do whatever you want though
>>
>>7479452
culture is dead. Bohemians are just another ready made identity/marketing demographic and creatives have finally been put to good use devising new ways to make people buy stuff. There is no creative capital anymore, jmore like a decentralized global meme-production system that most likely doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>7479463
>>7479493

Are there bohemian/creative websites though?

Or is the whole phenomenon just dead as a result of modern distractions and mainstream social networks seeking to encompass and homogenize everything within safe, unthreatening (commercial) spaces which favour growth and scability above everything else?
>>
America:

NYC is entirely exclusive literati types.

Black Mountain College in Asheville in the 80s was a fighting chance

Iowa City is the only City of Literature in America coined by UNESCO, mainly bc of the MFA program and the way it meets their criteria.

Portland/Seattle/San Francisco/Denver/Austin types are all the same, mostly just weed bros who want to go to a Mac Demarco show.

I don't really see any chance for there being capitals like they used to be, the internet kind of made it so movements didn't have to consolidate themselves geographically as per>>7479463 's post.

Having said all that from my understanding of creative capital type cities that are real and non just Portlandized, I'd say Asheville, North Carolina; Miami, Florida; Havana, Cuba; Dunedin and Wellington, New Zealand; Reykjavik, Iceland.
>>
>>7479546
>Are there bohemian/creative websites though?
Unfortunately, it is 4chan.
>>
>>7479536
Nothing has ever meant anything.
>>
>>7479546
>Are there bohemian/creative websites though?

Well, yes, but not for discussion. It's more like people in the scene know each other. See HTMLgiant for how it used to work, there's still sites like that but most of the talking is done through email, skype or texts.
>>
File: Stella.jpg (227 KB, 479x800) Image search: [Google]
Stella.jpg
227 KB, 479x800
HART CRANEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: orbit.jpg (35 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
orbit.jpg
35 KB, 500x333
>>7479551
>NYC is entirely exclusive literati types.

ayy
>>
>>7479554
no it isn't. 4chan is the underground comic book scene pre90s, not even close to what OP is asking about
>>
>>7479573
meant literati as pretentious and tunnel-visioned
>>
>>7479585
>when i said this thing i actually meant this other thing

sure
>>
>>7479571
this looks like that pink floyd album cover, you know the one
>>
>>7479594
I grouped it in cities that once had/thinks they have a literature scene.

>???
>>
>>7479585
i understood it this way, like they are just smelling their own farts
>>
File: 26-dfw-2.nocrop.w529.h746.jpg (167 KB, 529x705) Image search: [Google]
26-dfw-2.nocrop.w529.h746.jpg
167 KB, 529x705
Dallas-Fort Worth
>>
Santa Teresa, Sonora, Mexico, thanks to the great Benno Von Archimboldi
>>
i thought it was still berlin's turn?
>>
>>7479614
and but so is this fucking real
>>
File: longfellow.jpg (45 KB, 550x363) Image search: [Google]
longfellow.jpg
45 KB, 550x363
>>7479452
Boston and its metro area are honestly pretty solid. Throw in the cluster of artists at Bedford and you've got something going on. All those universities don't hurt, though of course universities aren't themselves an engine of creativity.
>>
>>7479625
>Please take these 2666 memes elsewhere
Otherwise northern mexico is most boheian/creative
>>
Brussels, man
Fucking Brussels
>>
>>7479632
Berlin art is total shit, though. I'll take the NYC-London hip mock punk hacks over the Berlin losers any day. You really have to be able to appreciate a very bourgeois European concept of beauty entirely lacking an edge of any sort in order to appreciate Berlin art. Yeah, most artists in NYC are the confused and sad children of the actually important guys of the eighties, all of them now burnouts who still show up at parties and act like they're seventeen, but New Yorkers and Londoners have a very real aggression and sense of being that eludes those sheltered mainland Europeans.
>>
Berlin
>>
>>7479727
Clarification:
A disproportionate amount of NYC artists are related to older, better NYC artists.
These very same older, better NYC artists make it a habit to show up to youth gatherings, sometimes stooping as low as those hotboxed apartment parties, and everyone's all like "ayyyyyyyy yo" and everybody contributes to their illusions of still being 17. This, in turn, makes all the younger guys want to act like them. Truly sick.
And I'll still take it over precious, prima donna-esque Berlin.
>>
>>7479741
Have you even been to Berlin, you tremendous tool?
>>
>>7479575
never made this connection before but damn does it seem accurate.
>>
New Orleans
Tell me why it isn't
>artists can afford to live there
>quality museums and galleries
>universities
>lots of independent presses and music
>unique atmosphere and history
>>
>>7479528
where's the good stuff in Toronto happening
>inb4 nowhere
>>
>>7479463
>tfw /lit/ is the literary saloon of our age
>tfw any writer that this place ever spawns will deny its relation to him
>>
File: tatami-galaxy-031.jpg (74 KB, 1064x594) Image search: [Google]
tatami-galaxy-031.jpg
74 KB, 1064x594
>>7479452
Well I dont know where it would be for literature, but apparently it is moving to Tokyo and somewhat Seoul since last year. If that is a trend (I have literally no idea), maybe LA or the Bay area will take off.

I have no idea bro.
>>
>median age must be below 30
>state lost a war within the last 20 years
>high influx of patrician refugees
>>
anywhere potentially. its more of the people you know than the actual place
>>
>>7482010
i agree but how do you meet these people? finding artistic friends is difficult if you don't have the proper network, like having gone to MFA/art school.
>>
>>7482016
You could try getting a job at a place where artsy things happen, like a book store where they host author readings. Preferably near a university that isnt shit so uni students show up.
>>
>>7479452
Why do you keep asking this?
>>
>>7482016

start writing/making music/art/whatever, go to local workshops, poetry readings, general creative events etc

easy enough if you live in a city
>>
>>7479452

Munich Germany
>>
>>7482032
wtf? First time I ask this bro...
>>
>>7482016
>MFA/art school
O I am laffin

>>7481646
I'm from Alabama and southern lit is tacky garbage. NOLA is affordable because it's all a flood-prone ghetto.
>>
Paris hasn't been not-terrible since the middle ages. All these 'creative capitals' are pots of pretense.
>>
>>7481961
I won't, though I certainly won't mention it until after I'm famous.
>>
>>7481646
I live there, it's not
>>
>>7479551
Rvk homegrown bruv
Get with it
>>
>>7482272
how is it? I've been thinking a lot about trying to stay there for a bit, seems like everything great is popping off there.
>>
>>7482281
Truth there's just so much going on for us, like almost every other guy is either in a start up company or trying it out as an artist mostly music I guess but definately other genres aswell, I mean desu I don't think that there are a lot of young writers here but there are just so many going after their dreams you know. Also downtown rvk is really nice, a lot of really comfy coffee shops and great bars but I guess the beer is rather expensive, 0,5L at 8 dollar aprox almost everywhere but I'd advice everyone to come here and visit even just for a short period of time.
>>
>>7482127
>ghetto
Only if you're dumb enough to go to the Lower 9th. Won't argue on Southern Lit, but I know plenty of people there that thankfully aren't writing it.
>>7482266
Excellent argument, I'm convinced.
>>
>>7481961
I'll wait until I'm three solid books deep, and in a good publishing deal for even more books.
>>
Detroit
>inb4 complaining about poor
Any decent literary city has a large poor populace, it's why daring young writers can live there with minimal regular job commitment. Hence why Paris is dead.
>>
>>7479727
>aggression
>sense of being
You're the type of faggot that makes those places suck now..
>>
>>7479461

>Portland

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
>>7479551
Iowa City is a cesspool and there are currently no writers worth any more than a passing mention residing there at this time. It is notable only for the astounding rate at which it attracts amateur writers.
>>
>>7479614
Dallas is certainly cheap enough to be a bohemian sort of place. It also has a nice museum culture.
>>
>>7482977
It really sounds like it must BE Detroit, cheap as fuck with some interesting art going on.

I've thought of moving there a few times.
>>
>>7479551
>>7483002
>Iowa City
Since when do we respect MFA programs run by the CIA to keep talented writers from doing anything that might reflect the US as anything but a morally-concerned land of hardworking Christians? Because that's what Iowa is.
>>
None of you fools have figured out it's Chicago, yet. Good. We like it better that way.
>>
>>7483040

It is a little strange that Iowa City, of all places, is supposed to be some sort of destination for young writers...
>>
>>7483038
You can buy livable houses for $3-5k all day there. Sounds like it might be a bit much for someone passing through, but then I figured what rent would be on a comparable apartment elsewhere for a year. Any metro area you'll easily pay $10-15k a year in rent, without utilities. Even if there isn't art, it's appealing to just settle into a house and write for a year or two.
>>
>>7483078

>You can buy livable houses for $3-5k all day there.

Yeah and pay the back taxes on the property. Not to mention the entire block is vacant and overtaken by crime.

The places you can buy those houses are not where you want to live. Yes, the city center is coming back, but that's the only area you should be targeting. There are young people there who are trying to bring back a sense of identity, but they are naive (in a good way), that don't know how long that road ahead is. For their sake, I hope they don't get burned out in 3-5 years wonder, "why hasn't it happened, yet" and move out.
>>
>>7482306
thank you anon
>>
>>7483110
If you look carefully you can find some in decent neighborhoods, but I did forget about back taxes.
>someone should start a /lit/ commune in Detroit, invite of /k/ for protection
>>
Screencap this post

Within 5 years, Atlanta will be the new entertainment hub of the world.
>>
>>7483133
Any reason you think this? Is it even worth visiting now?
>>
>>7482987
NYC born and raised, from two NYC born and raised parents.
>>
>>7483146
Doesn't make it any better. NYfags are insufferable.
>>
>>7483151
Then stay out and keep being corny.
>>
>>7483154
>anyone who doesn't enjoy living in filth with a bunch of hipsters who have more of their parent's money than talent is corny
>>
File: Black Kierkegaard.png (552 KB, 504x670) Image search: [Google]
Black Kierkegaard.png
552 KB, 504x670
>>7483139
>>
>>7483161
I'm fucking poor bro, and just because NYC doesn't have polished tile floors everywhere like your disgusting suburban home, that doesn't mean it's filthy.
Anyone looking for classical beauty in 2015 is corny. People who can't appreciate a rough edge in art are corny. Suburban fucks like you who can't deal with the ups and downs of city life together are corny.
>>
>>7483214
Shitposting got too obvious m8.
>>
some people seem to think Melbourne is a contender, but I've been there aplenty and I'm not sure I see it.

Can anyone tell me where it's happening? What am I missing?

On another note, any other decent Australian cities where you can live the 'bohemian' lifestyle? Hard work, moderate pay, cheap rent etc.

I just wanna smoke cigs at a cafe.
>>
>>7483317
I live in Melbourne and it's way too expensive to be that. The people here are also concerned with LOOKING bohemian rather than being it. It's a pretentious city full of fucking morons. Stay away.

To your second point, Brisbane and Hobart(tiny, hard to call a city) are the cheapest actual cities to live in. If you have remote income (writer, etc.), move to south east asia.
>>
>>7482961
Honestly, the 9th ward is probably the most creative part of New Orleans. Marigny, Bywater, Treme are all gentrified to hell and the FQ is just tourist shit
>>
Bucharest bro, also nicknamed "the little Paris" during that period of time.
>>
>>7483326
yeah, i can see why you would say that about melboure. the whole thing about them concerned on looking bohemian, yeah. spot on.
>>
>>7483343
I've been hearing good things about the Upper 9th.
I won't argue those neighborhoods, though some parts of Treme are still cheap, they're being bought up. But there's a lot more to the city. The Warehouse District is where I'm thinking. I haven't seriously looked at apartments there in a year or so, but I was finding pretty decent size 1-2 bedroom places for cheap. I remember I almost rented a 1 bed for $675 a month, and it was fully furnished, etc. I think Mid-City has potential, and i know hipsters kind of dig it, but you have to deal with the fags everywhere. I think Faubourg Livaudais could be a thing too.
>>
>>7479551
>Miami

You couldn't have named a less literary city in America.
>>
>>7482977
>hence why

Oh no you di'n't!
>>
>>7484047
Is being a cunt about grammar back in?
>>
>>7484050
Only when "hence why" is said.
>>
Austin, Texas
>>
Oshawa, Ontario
>>
>>7482072
Currently living in Munich, maybe it's only me. But from what I have experienced, calling it creative capital would not really fit, especially nowadays. While there are certainly some really talented people here, in general it is more of a very pretentious or "traditional" city. People aren't really open to much new, except for what is hip right now.

Be it fashion, night life, art, politics, food, etc.

I think the answer is NYC, obviously.

Tokyo should be noted though, there is really all kinds of creative things coming from there, alot of that one as a westerner just doesn't notice, and while the culture is somewhat less open, there is really alot of great things coming from there. While I am no expert about the city, from what I know that it is really diverse, you can find really interesting stuff, that you might not find anywhere else. But at the same time it is very close minded in certain aspects.

sorry if I make no sense, my english isn't that good.
>>
>>7484041
I said creative not literary, Miami has art basel and wynwood and a ton of cool shit going on
>>
File: YEkFgkt.png (222 KB, 470x331) Image search: [Google]
YEkFgkt.png
222 KB, 470x331
>this whole thread
Though I'm sure at least half of you already have at least one of your fingers up your own buttholes, go fuck yourselves.
>>
>>7479515
The Jewish quarter
>>
>>7479452

Seattle is pretty bohemian and creative. You've got tons of Boeing/Microsoft/Amazon corporate yuppy-types and dude weed lmao but at the same time there is a huge music/arts/creative scene and tons of interesting people and events.

Its not the bohemian capital of the world but its definitely one of the most bohemian cities in the US.
>>
>>7484179
its artisnal not bohemian, a shit ton of expensive donut and ice cream places on every street.
>>
>>7484199

yeah maybe if you spend all your time in the touristy areas but in some of the non-touristy areas of the city and in tons of areas close by there are low-rent neighborhoods filled with 20-and 30- something year olds where everyone is pretty bohemian, Olympia is one example that comes to mind even though its a hour away from Seattle but there are areas like that in the city and close to it
>>
Seems like everybody else is saying whatever they want without worrying about being right so I don't see why I can't do the same.

Step one is if you're worried about Internet hegemony, you need to get out of the Anglosphere. The web doesn't penetrate nearly as deeply outside of English. (For evidence, see the sizes of various wikipedias).

That said, I'd move to somewhere dangerous enough to keep the chumps out, and also undergoing some significant social or political or cultural transformation. Big shifts are usually where the world is happening (what could you possibly learn from Dallas Forth Worth, which somebody suggested, other than what you learn from other people living in DFW?) At a minimum, change means that there are new things to write about, which need writing about.

>Havana, Cuba (or the other one)
The end of the trade embargo and resuming of commercial flights means that tourism probably isn't far off. At least you'll have an affluent audience to write for. And since Internet penetration is basically nil, the print journalist actually has value, like it's 1991 all over again.

PROS: Influx of Cato libertarians looking to blame every injustice on Statist scum will make for easy pickings in the alt weekly you will found there

CONS: The libertarians, with better funding, will inevitably win, and you will be forced to witness the country liberated by Che fall for the same Reason Magazine bullshit that fools many a redditor

>Rojava, Syria
Christopher Hitchens earned street cred by being a drunk. Can you imagine how unimpeachable you'll be if you kill even a few ISIS bozos?

PROS: The PKK may be a legitimate attempt to build an egalitarian state in the Middle East, and you might be a part of what finally ends centuries of pointless tribal warfare

CONS: Does happen to be in a legit war zone. Also, constantly compared to Catolonia in the 20's, which means Westerners there will be disproportionately those who thinks that is a good thing.

Cont'd...
>>
>>7479452
Taipei.
>>
>>7484235
>The web doesn't penetrate nearly as deeply outside of English. (For evidence, see the sizes of various wikipedias).
That's fucking dumb.

I hope you realize the rest of us also just mostly use the english language internet for everything.
>>
>>7484240
Don'y be absurd! I don't speak any other languages than my own, so what makes you think non-native English speakers are smart enough to learn English when I can't learn theirs? Get out of here.
>>
>>7484235
Cont'd

>Jburg, South Africa (or really most of Sub Saharan Africa)
You might think that because English is a unifying language, this still counts as in the Anglosphere, but as anyone who has attempted to read African press will tell you, they got a dialect that is unintelligible to most people in the US. It is a weird English that took its own path after the end of the colonialism, that is both proper and obtuse. (Sorta like Indian English, which also is heavily influenced by the patterns of colonial rule.) And at the same time, comments on the Internet are written in whatever regional language the poster happens to speak, so that in a single comment thread, you'll see three or four dying languages for which virtually no translation services exist.

In the past, Africa's massive untapped mineral wealth was exploited by Europe. Ever since colonialism fell out of good taste, this job has slowly been taken over by the Chinese. (Oh, that reminds me: you're gonna need to learn Chinese, too)

PROS: lack of interest means chumps like you will stand a chance against the competition. Also, since the only literature with a chance at finding a western audience is that which depicts Africa as an uninterrupted homogenous hell scape, you can probably find a lot of actually good writing that wont become fashionable for a few decades.

CONS: there are more countries in Ss Africa than people in the west who can name them all.
>>
I've heard some talk of San Juan, but nothing concrete.
>>
>>7484292
Con'd

>Englewood, United States of America
Better known as "Chiraq" hidden in the heart of Chicago, you can find a small set of various neighborhoods which offer a beautiful view into the dangerous yet adventurous lifestyle of a gang-banger. The fast changing gang-dynamics will promise you that no day will be like the other, and occasionally you can even drive out to the city and mingle with the more successful people as means for inspiration. Can you handle the heat? Are you able to establish yourself as a profound writer, while not giving up your roots? If yes this might be the right place for you.

PROS:
-As part of the Anglosphere you have a kickstart compared to other nations, but are you able to use it?
-Many successful lyricists have sprouted from this part of the world, examples would be Chief Keef and Lil' Durk , but as they have forsaken their home and moved to other places, there is now a need for some who shows loyalty and companionship to his fellow brothers.

CONS:
-The fast changing dynamic might not be everyone cup of Tea, while it creates prosperous opportunities, being able to adjust one-self is one important skill you have to bring with on this mission.
-Not suited for the weak, you have to show real strength in order to be able to survive.
-Some might argue that it is too late now, the once rich amount of opportunities has gone down over the years, so some speculate that all those who are remaining now, are leftovers from a once promising era.
>>
>>7484292
Cont'd (sorry for being slow, I'm walking now. Will reply to y'all's inane comments when in front of proper keyboard)
>Mexico City, Mexico
I can't tell the difference between Southern Californians and Mexicans. We both speak Spanish and English, have fat poor people and skinny rich people, and we both think the Aztecs had the right idea.

Their drama is our drama: the drug trade. I won't pretend that the changes are coming quick, what with American attitudes towards drugs changing at their glacial pace, but it's a good place for hacks, where the trade can be used to explain any issue no matter how tangentially related.

PROS: Drug trade means drugs! There's enough peyote floating around that you never have to worry about writers block

CONS: sure it'd be nice to expose the seedy underbelly of corrupt Mexican politics, but them dudes are quick to take out troublesome journos. Plus, you gotta worry about being kidnapped
>>
>>7479452
/lit/, lol
>>
Having visited, I got the impression Lisbon would be a pretty cheap and relaxed place to live a creative life. Not sure what the community is like there (if there even is one) but fuck it, there's the internet for that anyway.

Pretty sure you could pick up an undecorated flat in a romantically decrepit but beautifully designed old apartment block for chump change. Climate is great, booze and other living costs are very cheap, setting is gorgeous.

If I wasn't a pussy I'd have dropped everything and done it already.
>>
>>7484360

>we both think the Aztecs had the right idea

The part where they came to power by incessant betrayal and shameless brutality and greed on another level to anything their neighbours had ever seen before?

Or the part where they waged arranged wars against other tribes in order to take enough military-age captives to sacrifice to their ever-thirsty gods?
>>
>>7484236
How's that?

>>7484199
Dope and right

>>7484054
You coulda ended that "hence why I'm being a cunt about grammar"

>>7484032
I ain't buying this. Sounds like a mostly shit town with pockets of not shitty

>>7483317
You coulda had a poem if you didn't say "cheap rent etc"

>>7483133
Not entertainment hub of the world, but I could see Atlanta being more than it is

>>7483064
Only for MFA chumps. If you need the buddy system to write poetry, maybe you should get an electricians certification

>>7482977
You really drank that Write A House KoolAid

>>7482127
Everything you said is correct

>>7481961
/lit/ ain't bad for fast critique. The only shame is that everything is saved forever

>>7479536
I like this attitude

>>7479468
Why?
>>
>>
>>
>>7484476
Huh, didn't think it would do that if I pasted the url.
>>
>>7484432
Seems awful depressing, desu. Like living in a country outshines by its former colony on every level.

>>7484450
That wasn't meant as a positive. I mean we both are blind to our respect for hierarchy by framing it in pseudo intellectual bullshit. The Aztec rulers were fascists, and the Aztec people were rubes. Yeah, the conquistadors were viscous monsters, but I can't name a civilization they destroyed that I feel less sorrow for. Mayans and Incans weren't much better, but still were better. The only decent Natives Americans lived up north
>>
>>7484459
I'm just speaking of NOLA from a creative standpoint. There are plenty of non-shit places that are too pricey for these purposes, or don't have a high density of creatives.
Maybe you should go there before you just think it's like pre-Katrina NOLA. :^)
>>
>>7484484

>viscous

ehehe

But nah you're right, fair enough.

The Portugal thing was me too. You find that depressing? I don't know, I don't really give a fuck about living somewhere that's in the forefront of the march of civilization or something. I mean I'm a Britfag so I've grown up with the idea of decline from former colonial glory. It's a bit more pronounced in Portugal but I'm not really fussed.
>>
>>7482306
i really wanna go there
comfy as fuck
im from vancouver, and although the city is awesome and the east side is cool, it can be pretentious as fuck
is rvk pretentious also?
>>
>>7479452
You mean Paris in the 20's
>>
>>7484719
Really this was informed by one New Yorker article I read about their decriminalizing taking drugs. Here it is http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/10/17/getting-a-fix

It just seemed like the most half-witted approach. The government lacked the courage to say that drugs ain't that bad, which would save a lot of heartache, so they just moved it from one legal limbo to the next. Now, taking drugs won't land you in jail, but it will either result in nothing, a fine, or mandatory drug rehabilitation which if you fail to appear for will result in actual jail time. At no point did the idea of not interfering with the lives of people who take drugs occur to the government. But now that I'm writing it out, I realize this is a stupid argument. I'm in the US, and a lot of very common drugs are punishable by jail time.

There was a lot of moralizing on the part of Church, it seemed, where the consensus seemed to be that the solution should be artificially increasing the dangers of drug use through jail time and social stigma. I'm in Los Angeles, where the church's opinion means as much to your average person as that of Confucius. I can't imagine living somewhere where church matters.

But then, as I write that out, I realize that too is a stupid argument. I'm in a capitalist society, and one of the many indignities of such is that I have to hear about the opinions of Elon Musk as if they matter.

Maybe it was just the New Yorker article, which also refused to acknowledge that the chief harm of illegal drug use is jail and not being able to get a job.

Or maybe it's the fact it looks like the Maine of your continent. I dunno, it just seems vastly unimportant. I was making the half-assed argument up there that if you're going to go somewhere, you should go somewhere where stuff is happening. I don't get the feeling that there's a lot of action in Lisbon. And that what cultural stirrings they have are echoes of thinhs happening other places.

If you wanna live somewhere cheap, those places exist in Britain. I can't see Lisbon as a romantic place... it seems like every small town I've ever wandered through, where everyone who wanted to leave and could leave left, and all that's left are people resigned to live somewhere boring due to circumstance, or worse, those who actually like it there.

But I've been wrong twice in this post, so I wouldn't give my opinion much weight if I were you. Moving to Lisbon is a weird move, but you might find yourself surrounded by people who would make the same move, and had the gumption to do it. You'd be surrounded by not just by people like yourself, but the best version of yourself, who would travel to a country they know little about out of wonder.
>>
>>7484935

My impression of Lisbon was that it isn't nearly as dead-end as you're making out. Sure, the Portuguese economy isn't booming, but that's why it's cheap (and it is cheap, cheaper than anywhere in Britain, and especially much cheaper than any city in Britain). And if you're serious about writing then the local economy isn't your big concern.

There seemed to me to be a lot of local culture - nice little bars where the owner knew the bands that played there and displayed their own work on the walls, that kinda stuff. The nightlife had a really nice, relaxed but still vibrant kind of atmosphere, and there seemed to be lots of interesting people around who were happy to chat with strangers.

Maybe I'm actually romanticising it based on the couple of weeks I spent on holiday there, though. I do suspect I'd miss London if I left, even though London is cold and expensive and full of cunts. I'm also too materialistic to leave my job for an uncertain future, my girlfriend sure as fuck wouldn't want to come with me, and honestly I'm not committed enough to literature to try to write full-time anyway.

But in a parallel universe, if I was going to be a literary bum a la Henry Miller, I think Lisbon would be a good first destination to try.
>>
File: weed lmao.jpg (160 KB, 1171x695) Image search: [Google]
weed lmao.jpg
160 KB, 1171x695
>>7481950
The annex and the general west end is what someone might tell you.

The truth is that it's pretty much anywhere but there. Morely likely along the fringes like scarberia. I think this is because the scattered talented people feel isolated in those environments and have more reason to actually do something good in order to get out. Most of the talented people who were born in Toronto didn't come out of the hip areas, where people can be comfy enjoy socializing with their type of person, etc.
>>
>>7485004
Aww now I wanna go to Lisbon!

Part of my fantasy of being a literary bum is going somewhere dangerous, like Byron in Greece, where there is something worth fighting for. But what possible argument could one make against a lovely place?

If you want to write, do the Wallace Stevens thing. Have a job, and write poems as you walk.
>>
>>7483110
I prefer to live in the downtown of most cities anyway. What's the rent like for places you're actually capable of living?

I like the idea of Detroit, the abstract of Detroit. It feels so American.
>>
>>7479741
hi, Bruce!
>>
I think there's probably a neat burgeoning cultural center growing in Southeast Asia, what with all the Americans going down there to teach English on another country's dime. The culture clash and all that.
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.