[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best version? What publisher? Which ones have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
What's the best version? What publisher? Which ones have helpful annotations?

Pls help.
>>
Find one, read it. You do not need annotations, or guides, or to have read the Odyssey. If totally lost simply look up a section/chapter summary and continue. Enjoy it.
>>
>>7478311
This, OP.

I might advise you read Dubliners / Portrait first, but I firmly believe you could read Ulysses without having read anything else and still enjoy it.
>>
>>7478424
I dunno, man. I am usually pretty dismissive of people trying to foist companion texts or prerequisite readings on people for a book, but reading Portrait seems pretty important to understanding Stephen's state in the novel.
>>
>>7478558
But if you really would rather not do read Portrait in advance, I would at least urge OP to do a little reading on Joyce himself, specifically into his relationships with religion and his mother.
>>
>>7478424
>>7478558
>>7478562
I've already read Portrait and Dubliners. But as I've heard Dedalus is not the main character here, no?

I'm just curious which edition would offer the best experience. I don't want another book along with it, but I wouldn't mind small following annotations that explain the references to writers Stephen mentions every time he crosses the road.
>>
>>7478758
Get the everyman's library version. It looks nice and stays bound, unlike the paperback versions
>>
V I N T A G E
I
N
T
A
G
E
>>
>>7478833

Yeah the vintage international edition I have is nice. Seems sturdy enough, but it's still bendable and nice to read.

>>7478280

I'd rec Portrait and Dubliners definitely. Also look up the Schema and other summaries/commentaries on the chapters online. I'm past the Hades chapter, and a lot of this shit is over my head, so I need all the annotations/guides I can get.
>>
I picked up a used random house version and i can't find it anywhere online, as far as i can see it doesn't have a number. Inside reads "NEW EDITION, CORRECTED AND RESET, 1961"
>>
>>7478280
I just got a second-hand hardcover of the 1960 Bodley House edition. Zero footnotes but did me just fine.
>>
File: 1358644312848.jpg (152 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1358644312848.jpg
152 KB, 1920x1080
>>7478280
Actually OP you just made me realize something.

What is the most efficient way to find all the different versions of a given book?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.