[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is this any good? should I read it now that I've seen the movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: 10956.jpg (54 KB, 243x375) Image search: [Google]
10956.jpg
54 KB, 243x375
is this any good? should I read it now that I've seen the movie?
>>
>>7478047
I liked that sex scene with Kristen Dunst.
>>
File: 364279.gif (2 MB, 208x200) Image search: [Google]
364279.gif
2 MB, 208x200
>>7478052
well yeah, it's Kirsten Dunst.
>>
File: Kirsten_Dunst_Maxim.jpg (399 KB, 2500x1805) Image search: [Google]
Kirsten_Dunst_Maxim.jpg
399 KB, 2500x1805
>>7478052
>>7478167

What do you want to with Kirsten Dunst?
>>
>>7478170
everything
>>
>>7478047
re[le]vant movie name
>>
File: reallypoehler.gif (343 KB, 379x316) Image search: [Google]
reallypoehler.gif
343 KB, 379x316
>>7478047

Can you really READ any book after you've seen the movie, though? I mean...REALLY?
>>
>>7478199
dunno that's why I'm asking бpaт :^)
maybe it has more to offer
>>
>>7478170
She's kind of ugly now isn't she?
She stopped being the hot young babe long ago.
>>
>>7478170
get 3 paper bags 1 for her face, and each tit

she has not aged well
>>
Woah, what is this, a Young Adult title and not a single post calling it shit yet? Am I still on /lit/?
>>
>>7478221
she still looks great
>>
>>7479566
>>
>>7478047
I just finished reading it. I've not seen the movie, so I don't know how it will compare.

I'd recommend it if you enjoy depressing literature. I thought it was great.
>>
>>7478047
Very good book, highly recommended.
>>
Read it for class this past semester. I loved it. As someone who is struggling with depression and one attempted suicide, I can say that this book captures those raw emotions and how society looks into the lives of those that are going through those issues. The way the town treats the Lisbons is exactly the way people treated me after I had my break. The movie was "meh" to me, but I absolutely would recommend the book to anyone who wants a relatively accurate portrayal of the stigma generated by depression and suicide.
>>
>>7480830
I thought so, as well, especially with passages such as

>(on a television show) girls and one boy to explain their reasons for attempting [suicide]. We listened to them, but it was clear they'd received too much therapy to know the truth. Their answers sounded rehearsed, relying on concepts of self-esteem and other words clumsy on their tongues.

The overarching theme that the boys could never find out truly why the girls killed themselves is also important. Too often people posthumously attribute suicides to reasons they've deduced from impersonal observations, often petty, when, in reality, much more has influenced the decision.
>>
>>7481085
Exactly. Everyone, the boys were the main culprits but there were still others, kept trying to pin it all on one thing. They were trying to find one thing they could correct, but each conclusion they were coming to was a result of something else. Every idea they had was valid, and had something built upon it. Suicide is very much a snowball effect - often times a series of events spirals out of control until it is too much. It is incredibly rare for a perfectly stable, non-depressed person to wake up one morning and kill themselves.

What I really did like about it the most was how it tied a failing society into the suicides.

>in the end, the tortures tearing the Lisbon girls pointed to a simple reasonded refusal to accept the world as it was handed down to then, so full of flaws.

And

>put the whole thing down to the misfortune of living in a dying empire. It had to do with the way the mail wasn't deliver on time, and how potholes never got fixed, or the thievery at City Hall, or the race riots, or the 801 fires set around the city on Devil's night.

The girls saw that everything in their life was a mounting to a bleak future. They didn't want to live in that way, and in a sense death was their respite. They would have rather died than seeing the world continue to spiral out of control because at this point it was too far gone, in their eyes, to fix it.
>>
>>7478170
she looked better on the interview with the vampire
>>
>>7481085
>Too often people posthumously attribute suicides to reasons they've deduced from impersonal observations, often petty, when, in reality, much more has influenced the decision.
True.
I attempted suicide once (ironically, I was on antidepressants at the time, I think) and it would be impossible for me to point out a single reason, rather, it was a consequence of my life getting worse and worse for six-seven years.
Hardly a single event can imply such drastic decision, unless the person is looking for attention...
>>
>>7478047
very good book
much much better than the movie
>>
>>7481254
Nobody was worse than the bitch who wrote the articles about it and kept trying to blame on cult shit.

At least the boys recognized the futility of trying to find a reason for it.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.