[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is Pynchon not just and edgy edgelord who conned a genration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 120264432.jpg (73 KB, 347x450) Image search: [Google]
120264432.jpg
73 KB, 347x450
HOW!!!
>>
do you have to be american to get this guy

i'd never heard of him pre-/lit/
>>
>>7472939
Nah he's good to go for you too

Also holy shit new Pynchon! Never seen that one b4
>>
OP is just butthurt that pynchon can write a book with coprophagia and he gets published. OP wrote a story about shit-eating for the school magazine and he got into trouble.
>>
>>7472939
I came to /lit/ because they're the only online community that talks about him and decent writers in general. He is very talked about in America amongst artsy types. I'm a painter and photographer, not a writer, who reads on the side, and my sisters and friend circle love him. Then again, I'm from a major American city so maybe there's a lot of dissonance between us and the rest of the United States.

David Foster Wallace's popularity is very enigmatic to me though. The only people I know who read them are huge fans of crap like mainstream hollywood movies.
>>
I feel tempted to attempt to infiltrate the literary circles of my country and force /lit/ memes until they start forcing them themselves
>>
>>7472935
Saved!
>>
>>7473070
>crap like mainstream hollywood movies
maybe you just don't 'get' where DFW is coming from. He'd have no qualms about his readership taking an interest in hollywood cinema, and your 'artsy' elitism certainly isn't gonna help you make sense of a writer like him.
>>
>>7473368
So what you saying is you need shit taste to understand shit taste? Damn.
>>
>>7473371
David Foster Wallace transcends the good-bad dichotomy,
>>
>>7473057
i have never written anything then comedy sketches that I got paied for
>>
>>7474740
And it shows.
>>
Make an argument for why he's 'edgy', I don't see it. He's a pretty life affirming guy.
Furthermore, I enjoy his prose - can't really be tricked on that one - and fully understand he's more interested in raising questions with his writing than providing answers - which I've no illusions of him actually having.
SO, it is my conclusion then that he is not 'an edgy edgelord' and did not have to con anyone (me at least) into thinking he was great.
Thanks for the thoughtful discussion OP.
>>
>>7472939
ur not lit enough. i'm an english major in europe and we read him
>>
>>7474748
beacuse i spelt things wriong
or beacause i have been paid for writing and you
wirtwe pomo novellas that no one will ever read
>>
>>7473070
>being a painter and photographer who 'reads on the side'
damn, from the looks of this instagram bio you certainly don't seem like a basic, painfully average whore at all.
>>
Don't you get it? That is his greatest talent.
>>
>>7473371

You're a moron, pop culture has been a feature of literary fiction since at least the 50s. Pynchon read comic books and watched the brady bunch.

People like you namedrop him because you're pretentious faggots.
>>
>>7472939

A master puppeteer can weave a story with both hands and feet, controlling the actions of four puppets. Pynchon whips his dick out and tires to tie on a fifth. It doesn't work.
>>
File: frig.png (8 KB, 330x245) Image search: [Google]
frig.png
8 KB, 330x245
>>7475328
>he doesn't know about cock puppets
>>
>>7475328
you were right until
>It doesn't work.

it does
>>
>>7475328
a master puppeteer can weave a story with four puppets, but he can't do it with 20 sock puppets and a toy rocket on the end of his cock in order to create one of the greatest works of 20th century fiction
>>
>>7473070
>He is very talked about in America amongst artsy types

>tfw only I and one of my best buds know of Pynchon
My brother knows of him as well, but hasn't read him at all. We did see Inherent Vice together, but he didn't like it because PTA made it hard to follow for filthy secondaries, I guess. I know another guy who has seen IV, but has not read it, because he's a /mu/mblr piece of shit

So basically what I'm getting at is that you may be right about 'a lot of dissonance between us and the rest of the United States' as I've met only one person in Florida who has read Pynchon.
>>
>>7475328
have you never heard of cock magic?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.