[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hermann Hesse. Anyone read Damien or Steppenwolf? I recently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: hesse.jpg (26 KB, 343x512) Image search: [Google]
hesse.jpg
26 KB, 343x512
Hermann Hesse. Anyone read Damien or Steppenwolf? I recently finished Siddhartha and Narziss & Goldmund (both incredible).

“I believe . . . that the petal of a flower or a tiny worm on the path says far more, contains far more than all the books in the library. One cannot say very much with mere letters and words. Sometimes I'll be writing a Greek letter, a theta or an omega, and tilt my pen just the slightest bit; suddenly the letter has a tail and becomes a fish; in a second it evokes all the streams and rivers of the world, all that is cool and humid, Homer's sea and the waters on which Saint Peter wandered; or becomes a bird, flaps its tail, shakes out its feathers, puffs itself up, laughs, flies away. You probably don't appreciate letters like that, very much, do you, Narcissus? But I say: with them God wrote the world.”
>>
Yeh
>>
>>7472529
He's great. Journey to the East is a short read but is well worth it, Under the Wheel is another short one that I never hear talked about but it's also worth the read. Haven't read Demian or Narcissus and Goldmund (they're both on my shelf waiting to be read) but the other two you mentioned are both good as well.
>>
steppenwolfe is the best, goldmund second, siddhartha is the pleb book.

read steppenwolfe.
>>
>>7472529
>that quote
how high do you even have to be?
>>
Have read Siddhartha, am planning to read Steppenwolf, and recently started Demian; at times it feels too sentimentalistic, whoever that might just be 'cause it hits too close home, and I'm really relating to Sinclair's gravitation to Demian and the darker parts of life.
>>
>>7472529
What did you like about Siddhartha? It bored me.

Maybe because i am an Indian and a possible retard.
>>
I preferred Steppenwolf to Demian.
>>
>>7472602
Steppenwolf is cancer kill it with fire
and Hesse isn't that good
>>
I read demian a few years ago and loved it but now I couldn't finish steppenwolf, it feels too melodramatic
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-18-08-24-07.png (80 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-18-08-24-07.png
80 KB, 854x480
Personally, I would rank Narcissus and Goldmund, Demian, and Beneath the Wheel all on roughly the same level, with Steppenwolfe just below those, and Siddhartha just below that. They're all at least pretty good, though, and certainly worth reading.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.