[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Absurdist writers better than Camus. I'll start with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: Samuel_Beckett_2177862b.jpg (38 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
Samuel_Beckett_2177862b.jpg
38 KB, 620x387
ITT: Absurdist writers better than Camus. I'll start with the obvious, someone who never gets mentioned around here and i can't figure out why.
>>
>>7468361
Beckett gets mentioned here a fair amount.
>>
it's never mentioned because /lit/ is full of idiots who read the most popular work and think they understand the author, so everyone just kind of shrugs of Godot without understanding it and pretend they know beckett.

desu beckett is pretty similar to joyce, if less lyrical. the trilogy is amazing. compagnie is great. most of his plays are good.

even his short stories are really good. everyone should first love as their first beckett.
>>
>thread literally yesterday
https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S7461113
>>
No. Beckett is bad. Autistic to the fullest degree. Camus is at least is poetic in his autism and has something worthwhile to say.
>>
Beckett is overrated. I really tried to give Waiting for Godot a fair shot but it was 2deep4u for me to care past the first hour. We get it, life is as absurd as these two fellas waiting for Godot, who may or may not refer to God, wow so deep. 20th century 'luminaries' were full of themselves
>>
>>7468377
Terrible bait, friend.
>>
>Well, >>7468371, that seems like a harsh indic—

>>7468377
>>7468380

>Nevermind, carry on.
>>
File: slut16.png (313 KB, 507x503) Image search: [Google]
slut16.png
313 KB, 507x503
>>7468361
>Waiting for Godot gets mentioned every day
>Beckett never gets mentioned
>>7468371
If you don't like /lit/ then fucking leave dumbass. No one is stopping you.
Redditors like you who come here and complain about /lit/ every fucking day need to leave. You're not contributing anything.
>>
>>7468371
i find his style very compelling, he seems to pepper his dialogue with little riddles and strange ways of talking that are comprehensible but also don't represent how anyone talks in real life. I think Joyce was his hero so that similarity would make sense, although I've only read the dubliners by Joyce..
>>
>>7468387
epic greentext story bro, you sure showed everyone that [people tend to disagree about art]
>>
>>7468392
my mistake, gotta lurk harder i guess. Ive never seen a Beckett thread!
>>
>>7468392
>You're not contributing anything.

even in my incessant whining about you plebs I still contribute tons more than you could to people who ask

>>7468402
'disagreeing' is giving them too much credit. it would suggest they have a clue about what they're talking about
>>
>>7468383
Worthless reply, enemy

>>7468387
I've read two of his novels, some short dramatic works, and seem some of his plays in person. Still a shit author, cry more famss
>>
>>7468392
my mistake, guess i should lurk more. Ive never seen a Beckett thread desu
>>
>>7468401
he worked under joyce and (i think) banged his daughter, so they were definitely very close. if you like the little riddles you should definitely read molloy, it's full of those integrated in the prose.
>>
>>7468361
it's because people who don't know how to read have heard the Waiting for Godot is "postmodern" and so they reject it out of hand, ignorant of the facts that a. it's actually modern and b. he is also the author of three phenomenonally schizo novels. of those I've only read Molloy and loved it. it's amazing how little quantifiably happens despite the book's qualitative microscopy.
>>
>>7468414
>I've read two of his novels, some short dramatic works
>I've skimmed through a fraction of his work and think I understand it

gosh if only i hadn't been so prophetic in >>7468371 i would write something here
>>
>>7468414
oh come on...Samuel Beckett is not a "shit author," there aren't many people in the world who could create something like Murphy
>>
>>7468418
>it's amazing how little quantifiably happens despite the book's qualitative microscopy.

Wait until you get to the unnameable. Molloy will seem like an epic.
>>
>>7468417
ill look into it, thanks man. Yeah him and Joyces daughter were gonna get married but he bailed out cause she got schizophrenia haha
>>
>>7468411
Just don't complain
love it or leave it
If you don't love it, leave it
>>
>>7468432
i bet that sounded way better in your head. don't worry, someday you'll get there.
>>
>>7468435
It's a saying
Both of those are a saying
>he hasn't seen Born on the Fourth of July
>>
>>7468392
post more jew
>>
File: ellie12.png (871 KB, 709x767) Image search: [Google]
ellie12.png
871 KB, 709x767
>>7468456
>>
>>7468420
>you need to read the Complete Works of Beckett or else you a pleb who dun understand
please bestow us with your astute understanding of Beckett's autism, senpaisan

>>7468421
>there aren't many people in the world who could create something like Murphy
all the better for it.
>>
>>7468361
All of them? All of them.
>>
>>7468460
>please bestow us with your astute understanding of Beckett's autism, senpaisan

why would i teach a bunch of illiterates without getting paid?
>>
>>7468463
please leave already
>>
File: Daniil_Harms_detail_1930.jpg (31 KB, 233x358) Image search: [Google]
Daniil_Harms_detail_1930.jpg
31 KB, 233x358
>>
>>7468470
make me.

there's this novel concept of not replying to people whom you don't want to reply. i know it's hard for you to wrap your head around, but you should try it.
>>
>>7468463
what a typical response of /lit/. take the high horse and run away when someone calls you out on your posturing.
>>
>>7468479
please leave already
you're getting really upset and it's embarrassing
>>
>>7468380
Agreed godot is shit but he's the goat novelist
>>
>>7468483
equally typical of /lit/ is to feel entitled to be spoonfed knowledge from strangers.

>>7468494
that's fine, I'll stay anyway.
>>
>>7468503
I think a lot of disdain for Beckett's plays stem from a lot of modern theater's explicit attempt to distance itself from the literary.
>>
>>7468505
there's no spoonfeeding here, all there is is your empty posturing. quite beckettian of you, if, i, who haven't read the Complete Works of Beckett, may opine.
>>
>>7468483
this. happens every time
>>
>>7468528
>there's no spoonfeeding here

no shit? because i'm refusing? it seems i was actually on point when i called you illiterate.
>>
>>7468566
your empty insults go well with your empty statements and your posturing. continue posting, it's amusing. maybe you'll convince yourself "you won"
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.