[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this any good? if not what are it's betters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
Is this any good? if not what are it's betters?
>>
>>7468252
Jawid Mojaddedi's translation of al-Mathnawi is great. Look into it.
>>
>>7468274
Oh and it seems one of the translators of that collection is Barks. He doesn't even know Farsi. He makes up translations based on hearsay and his own "artistic vision", which ruins the power and spirituality of Rumi.
>>
File: Gamard_Farhadi.jpg (26 KB, 348x499) Image search: [Google]
Gamard_Farhadi.jpg
26 KB, 348x499
This is very good.
>>
>>7468282
Yeah, Barks is a total fucking fraud. He rendered a phrase as "blonde women" because his copy of Arberry's Mystical Poems of Rumi had "blond ones" as a typo for "blind ones."
>>
>>7468304
kek
>>
>>7468304
It's sad that people like him are championed among academics and the laity. It's orientalist stuff all over again.
>>
>>7468274
wood the oxford world's classics be good or is something else preferred?
>>
>>7468335
??
>>
>>7468358
for the masnavi
>>
>>7468335
>>7468360
Yes. Jawid Mojaddedi did the Oxford translation of al-Mathnawi, Rumi's most important and influential work. Three volumes. Great text and translation
>>
>>7468368
is that where people get all his stuff or is that just one in a large body of work?
>>
>>7468394
It's a translation of his largest work. It carries religious, spiritual, philosophical, and poetic greatness and is considered one of Iran's greatest literary achievements. Most translations of Rumi's work are compilations and not complete translations.

He wrote other poetic and prose works but I haven't seen too many good translations of other works.
>>
>>7468407
aight then
>>
>>7468407
>considered one of Iran's greatest literary achievements
Rumi was born in Balkh (part of modern day Afghanistan) and spent most of his life in Turkey. How in the hell is the Masnavi an Iranian achievement?
>>
>>7468457
It's written in Persian and he was a Persian.

This is how like Arabs love and champion Ibn Sina, though he was Persian.

These scholars and writers from this age are shared by many.

Iranians and Afghans also memorize his poems. You can find even farmers and poor people in Iran who can recite his poems.
>>
>>7468457
And Rumi really represents the culture and heritage of Iran in his works.
>>
>>7468477
Then say Persian. Historical Persia is much bigger than present-day Iran and includes what is now Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, and much of Afghanistan.

>>7468484
>And Rumi really represents the culture and heritage of Iran in his works.
I see very little connection between Rumi's cultural milieu and that which is considered Iranian today.

Rumi was a Sunni jurist, a Sufi mystic, and he was proud of his descent from the first Caliph, Abu Bakr. None of those things are associated with modern Iran.
>>
>>7468496
OK. It doesn't change the fact that Iranians memorize his poetry, read his works, and most scholars of Rumi are in Iran.

Shia also read Sunni Sufis and take the good from them. Sayyid Khumayni loved Ibn Arabi who hated Shia.
>>
>>7468457
>not knowing the difference between "considered" and "is"
What a pleb.
>>
>>7468506
I'm aware that there is a great deal of love for Rumi's poetry in Iran.

However, Rumi's tomb is in Turkey, his descendants and the base of his tariqa is there, and as a result of Ottoman dominion, the Masnavi is known throughout Anatolia, Central Asia, the Balkans, and even the Levant.

>>7468513
I do know the difference, but it's clear that that poster is Iranian and believes that the Masnavi is an Iranian achievement.

I take issue with the entire notion of national poets, as that is a product of Romantic era enthusiasms, with little historical basis. Outside of Iran, Rumi is NOT considered an Iranian figure. He is mostly seen as a Turkish figure (though I think this too is wrong).
>>
>>7468477
>It's written in Persian and he was a Persian.

The Mathnawi is in Farsi, but Rumi also wrote a great deal of his poetry in Arabic. He also wrote macaronic quatrains where the first three lines are in Arabic and the last is in Farsi.
>>
>>7468530
I'm not Iranian. I'm an Arab.
>>
>>7468534
It doesn't stop that Iranians champion him as a great figure and as an achievement of Iran.

>>7468530
And who sees him as a Turkish figure? I've always seen him as Persian, not a Turk.
>>
>>7468539
>And who sees him as a Turkish figure? I've always seen him as Persian, not a Turk.
What do people think of the Mevlevi Dervishes as?
>>
>>7468548
Rumi has influence across the world, no doubt. Like I said Ibn Sina is a Persian but every Muslim, especially Arabs respect him and see him as a brother. Many modern scholars say Ibn Sina was even Shia but Sunnis love him.

Rumi is seen like a pearl of Iran. Like Sa'adi and Ferdowsi.
>>
>>7468548
See http://www.rumi.net/about_rumi_main.htm
>Today three countries claim him as their national poet: Iran, Turkey and Afghanistan. However none of these countries as they are today actually existed back then. Iran was called the Persian Empire, a monarchy, and it was quite larger than it is today. It included all of today's Iran and Afghanistan also parts of Pakistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkey and Iraq. Turkey had not yet formed then and Afghanistan was part of the Khorasan Province in the old Persian Empire.
>>
>>7468564
Rumi was a Persian-speaker (though he claimed Arab heritage) who was born in what is now Afghanistan and spent most of his life in Konya, which is a Turkish city. Though it's true that modern-day Turkey didn't exist, Rumi lived in the lands ruled by the Seljuk Turks.

Iran is the one country out of those three that has no real connection to his life. He's not like Saadi or Firdausi (or al-Ghazali, whom Iranians rarely claim). All of them were actually born in what we now call Iran.

Iranians claiming Rumi would be like Brits claiming an American writer simply because he speaks English.
>>
>>7468580
OK. If you want to debate this, debate with Iranians then. I just recognize him as a Persian and he has huge influence in Iran. Even the poor there know his poems.
>>
Anyone with desert lit knowledge wanna tell me if Mulla Sadra is worth reading and what I should pick up?
>>
>>7468282
To be fair, iirc Ezra Pound didn't know Chinese either.

>>7468304
That is pretty funny though.
>>
>>7469102
Mulla Sadra is definitely worth reading. He is complex though. You need a good understanding of theology, especially Shia theology, and of Greek and Islamic philosophy before you tackle him.

His philosophy influences Shia thought still highly today, especially in Iran.
>>
>>7469102
Oh and, unfortunately, there aren't too many translations of his works since they're a bit more advanced.

For an intro to his transcendent theosophy philosophy, try Morris' Wisdom of the Throne and Seyyed Hossein Nasr's Sadr al-Din al-Shirazi and His Transcendent Theosophy. You may also want to read through Seyyed Hossein Nasr's An Anthology of Philosophy in Persia (Three Volumes) which will give you some background to Mulla Sadra.

The only ones of his works I've found in English translated online were his tafsir on Ayat al-Nur (On the Hermeneutics on the Light Verse of the Qur'an), one called Three Philosophical Treatises, and The Book of Metaphysical Penetrations.
>>
>>7468252
haha that guy is getting silly with his sleeves
>>
>>7469485
When you live in a desert, that's all you have for luxury.
>>
>>7468477
I think Persians revere Hafiz more than Rumi.
>>
>>7469660
A man says he can love God and still there is room in his heart for more.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.