[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys , In the case of "A clockwork orange" do you prefer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
Guys , In the case of "A clockwork orange" do you prefer the book or the movie?
>>
>>7467843
film omits the last chapter
film has Malcolm McDowell
film has scoring by Wendy Carlos

film wins
>>
Book. Ending was more practical and down to earth. Loved the movie too but the ending was kind of absurdist masterbation.
>>
Film. Kubrick > Burgess. Also the less I have to read or listen to that fucking disgusting chav dialect the better
>>
>>7467940
How so ?
>>
>>7467965
In the book Alex eventually wants to grow up. The movie ends with playing with the idea of what "cured" means. Alex is able to do what he wants again...but you don't get to see Alex wanting to emotionally mature. You just get the feelin that he's going back to the same old Alex again. It does pose another interesting question about personal responsibility and morals. but the book is far more relatable as Alex becomes a multidimensional character at the end. In the movie there is no fundamental change in his personal character. It still serves a purpose...for me though...I got a lot more out of the book.

I realize how stylized the movie is...and I love it for that. It's a great movie all around. The book is still better imo. I do enjoy both.
>>
>>7468103
>>7467965 here
I didn't read the book, so thank you for your sincere reply. That was precisely this responsibility and morals things which spoke to me. The end of the movie pleased me because of the way it treats violence and politics and their collusion
Though, about Alex maturity, I wouldn't know what to say about it. I didn't feel necessary for him to "mature" in any way in the movie, but you tell me it's different in the book. I should give it a try
>>
>>7468212
You may get more out of the movie from reading the book. Both deal with the morals of controlling Alex. The movie seems to hit harder as it ends with that bittersweet...catch22'ish moment when he says he's cured. The book is a coming of age story...pretty wild right? check it out. It's not the best book ever but it's an interesting read for fans of the movie.

Another anon mentioned reading Alex's narrative voice...you get used to it and only notice it at the beginning.
>>
>>7468250
The Alex's narrative voice would be a funny thing !
I've got a huge interest in definitions of normal and pathological and their links to politics, and this "I was cured" always gives me a good laugh. Anyway, thank you for your advise, I'll try to get my hand on the book.
>>
I didn't like the book ending. I thought it was basically "boys will be boys" about a rapist and murderer.
>>
>>7468330
Good point. I understand the author's intent but as you said it's really hard to sympathize with Alex considering all the shit he's pulled. On the other hand he had to be that awful for the set up of him being a guinea pig. I think he got let off because he became the center of a political topic combined with being messed up from an experimental treatment. Not justifying Alex's actions...just trying to rationalize why the author set it up the way he did.
>>
Any other Burgess novels worth a read?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.