[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why does this hunter quote stick with me and how much of it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: CJrwp2AWUAAxR9Q.jpg (138 KB, 600x650) Image search: [Google]
CJrwp2AWUAAxR9Q.jpg
138 KB, 600x650
why does this hunter quote stick with me

and how much of it is simply rose tinted glasses about that era?
>>
>>7466234

I like that quote, but I think it speaks more to Hunter's ability to define himself against the backdrop of that era than it does of the time itself

It sounds like rose-tinted glasses because it was the time when he made most sense as a person, so it's not so much about saying "hey, this era was objectively great" as it is about saying "this is the context in which I could subjectively view myself as a part of something"
>>
>>7466234
Dat last paragraph tho.
>>
>>7466234
>>7466234
The sixties LSD counterculture was attempting something extremely ambitious. If you read up on the leaders of the psychedelic movement, this doesn't sound like rose-tinted glasses at all, because there WAS an optimistic, earnest attempt to roll back the weak points in contemporary life, and it would have felt amazing to be part of that attempt, but it did fail, and Thompson doesn't defend its methods and leaders. There's another passage in Fear and Loathing where he talks shit about Ginsberg (or Watts? I forget) who was a huge leader and hints that such hippies just weren't cut out to bring meaningful change to the world.
>>
>>7466482
He talked shit about Leary.
>>
Technically a quote is not a page.
>>
>>7466507
Technically an ass is not an ass.
>>
>>7466513
My tongue says different.
>>
>>7466234
Thompson is a filthy liberal. I would have nothing against the dude, and I enjoyed his writing when I was 22, but he should've stayed the fuck outta politics.

There's no need to spout your useless, drug-crippled opinion about adult matters. Just stick to pretending that taking a lot of drugs is brave.
>>
>>7466504
That's odd. Leary was probably the most coherent one of that set, to the point that it alienated the more spiritual sorts, as well as the most original thinker.

>>7466539
>he hasn't read Thompson's letters
>he doesn't get Thompson's fiction
Missing the point m8
>>
>>7466831
>Missing the point m8
Maybe I am, but you can't tell me that someone who influenced Johnny Depp, John Cussack and Joe Rogan isn't a piece of shit.
>>
>>7466915
that's terrible reasoning
>>
b/c ur a d e g e n e r a t e
>>
>>7466915
>engaging with /pol/

newfags these days
>>
File: HST_suicide_note.jpg (740 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
HST_suicide_note.jpg
740 KB, 2000x1333
>>7466539
>Thompson is a filthy liberal.

pretty sure he's not liberal any more.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.