[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people get triggered by black people playing white parts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 11
File: 23.jpg (47 KB, 500x415) Image search: [Google]
23.jpg
47 KB, 500x415
Why do people get triggered by black people playing white parts in Shakespearean plays? The plays have been performed over hundreds of years in a ton of interpretations, including changing the setting to latter times. If all variety is strictly forbidden, then do the plays have to be performed with same proper accent as well? they generally aren't.

I saw the film "Titus" and it was far different from how Titus Andronicus would look in Shakespeare's time, but it was probably one of the best stagings of it ever done.
>>
I recently got into a heated argument because I mentioned that people thought it would be cool if Idris Elba played James Bond. His argument was "It was written in the past and it's about an english gentleman! He should be white!" when I pointed out that doesn't necessarily mean anything, especially now, he just kept repeating that "it was written at that time". His girlfriend intervened, so we stopped arguing, but I wonder what he would have said if I had pointed out that James Bond has always been a modern character and his new films take place now.

It's stupid. Unless the ethnicity directly effects the plot, then there's no reason. (Although I do think that people should be the right ethnicity in biographies.)
>>
>Why do people get triggered by black people playing white parts in Shakespearean plays?
Because its only ever blacks. If theatres/studios ever actually cared about positive racial representation they'd include actors of all races and not just the stereotypical black man replacing a white man and the asian women replacing the white women? I'm probably biased in being an asian male, but it does offend me when we are essentially ignored in 99% of all media. In my opinion, including black actors in theatre/film is just fetishization of the stereotypes of african american culture especially when you consider just how disproportionate the actual statistics are. Why can't an asian man play hamlet? Othello? Prospero?
>>
>>7464996
maybe there aren't any asian male actors? I don't think studios have a limitless supply of actors that can play a particular role and still be good at it, especially in theatre.
Theatre people aren't racist.
>>
>>7464977
Bond being black would severely change the aesthetic, far more than Craig already did. Would you think Michael Cera would work as Bond? What about Jason Alexander?
>>
>>7465000
Spectre was alright, but how long do you think they can pump out these movies? James Bond is a franchise and they run on repetition with some variety.
There are black british spies in James Bond, and given the current demographic in bongland a black dude being a world class spy is not so far fetched.

Bond being a woman or French on the other hand would be ridiculous.
>>
File: DiversityDoneRight.jpg (370 KB, 1536x1386) Image search: [Google]
DiversityDoneRight.jpg
370 KB, 1536x1386
>>7464951

because it's not just a quirky coincidence or because the actor was exceptional.

And it's not just race-bending that happens, there's an actual political agenda pushing this diversity shit down our throats in every branch of media, books, movies, comics, video games, schools, etc.

It just gets nauseating after a while.
>>
instead of creating interesting characters using "marginalized" minorities, all they do is change an existing characters race, or sexual orientation or gender, and they act like they've created something deep and original....when it's just a cheap gimmick
>>
>>7465000
Comparing Micheal Cera and Idris Elba is ridiculous. It's not a valid argument. That'd be like suggesting to use pears instead of apples in a pie and then someones says "Pears! Pears! Why not just use a tangerine! Or a banana!" It brings absolutely nothing to the argument and proves nothing.

Idris Elba shapes up very nicely in a suit, and lets be fucking honest, that's all you really need to be James Bond.
>>
>>7465007
Its not about realism, historical accuracy or demographics. Bond is white because only (a subset of) whites has the proper look.
>>
>>7465019
Have you actually eaten a pear before? They are very distinct from apples.
>>
>>7465016
Eh. Miles Moral is great.

Black Torch is stupid as fuck. I don't care that he's black, I hate that they changed the whole story to shoe horn the fact that he's black in, instead of just making Sue black too.

Because 2/4 mc black people is too many black people in a hollywood movie. It pisses me off. That movie was trash anyway. I'm glad it panned.
>>
>>7464951
I didn't know that was a thing. I don't have a problem with black people. I have a problem with rap music, misogeny, trendiness, egoism, and willful stupidity.
>>
>>7465039
are you a virgin tho?
>>
>>7465025
Daniel Craig is a worse Bond than Elba tb h, he looks like a chavvy goon.
>>
>>7465045
That you think decent people can't get laid is only a testament to your pitiful sex life. Not mine. Thanks nigger.
>>
>>7465028
You're missing the point. You're focusing on the wrong thing.
>>
>>7465050
>I don't have a problem with black people
>thanks nigger
your first post was just begging for someone to answer "then yes you have a problem with blacks"
gtfo my board now
>>
>>7465031
They should have done the obvious thing and made Richards black instead. But oh wait, having a black MC is too diverstity now is it.
>>
>>7465048

Craig was a great bond. He had big presence and looked decent in a suit. It was about time that Bond became a bit more rugged and masculine.
>>
>>7465056
>rugged
He looks like a dad. He's not that rugged.
>>
>>7465053
Nigger means ignorant person. Your racism doesn't imply mine.
>>
>>7465054
anything would be preferable to them all being 17.
>>
>>7465053
>I'm racist
>Therefore you are
>Freud
>>
>>7465048
That's pretty much what Ian Fleming said about Sean Connery.
>>
File: 1424365964251.jpg.png (457 KB, 550x733) Image search: [Google]
1424365964251.jpg.png
457 KB, 550x733
>>7465053

>revealing your reddit powerlevel

come on
>>
>>7465059
>Nigger means ignorant person
You're an idiot.
>>
>>7465074
He's a nigger, you mean.
>>
>>7465059
>Nigger means ignorant person.

Why do people say this? Do they think that this is actually true?
>>
>>7465082
The word "nigger" literally comes from the Latin word for "ignorant"

t. a nigger
>>
>>7465082

words have more than one meaning. nigger is used to mean ignorant as well.

similarly a faggot isn't always a homosexual person, it is often someone who is obnoxious or repulsive
>>
>>7465087
>>7465091
you're still going to get the shit kicked out of you if you say that to anybody. Try to explain about the latin root while someone's foot is lodged in your diaphragm.
>>
>>7465098
Why suddenly to violence? Projecting ?
>>
>>7465103
nah
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 211x239) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 211x239
>>7465098
>while someone's foot is lodged in your diaphragm.

it's pretty easy to shoot a nigger dead in self-defense, courts are on the side of justice
>>
File: asian 'masculinity'.jpg (312 KB, 843x510) Image search: [Google]
asian 'masculinity'.jpg
312 KB, 843x510
>>7464996
here's a website you might like
https://www.reddit.com/r/AsianMasculinity/
>>
>>7465122
Those guys are so butthurt
>>
>>7464951
Because they feel they're losing their identity in a world that idealizes unity but also romanticizes pride of heritage. So they'll reach for silly things like ''it's not realistic'' while talking about a work of fiction that owes no debt to reality whatsoever.
>>
File: laughing american.gif (3 MB, 294x238) Image search: [Google]
laughing american.gif
3 MB, 294x238
>>7465122

>that screencap

that delicious ressentiment and insecurity
>>
>>7464951
Some of them are racist, some are just conservatives objecting to what they (rightly or wrongly, depending on the case) see as the pushing of political agendas through art.

I guess some might also be arguing for 'authenticity', but as you point out that would be a particularly weird thing to do in regard to Shakespeare- I don't think I've seen anyone actually making that argument.

Having said that, I did once see a Greek drama performed in Greek with all the masks and it was pretty amazing, so there might be a place for trying to return to the roots of something as much as possible- as one option, mind you, not as the only way.
>>
>>7465122
Lol, why are men such fucking women nowadays?
>>
File: ASIAN MALE.jpg (90 KB, 400x523) Image search: [Google]
ASIAN MALE.jpg
90 KB, 400x523
>>7465137
>Lol, why are Asian men such fucking women nowadays?

fixed
>>
I went to see a college production of Othello. Othello comes out on stage and he's an ignorant person with black skin.
I turned 360 degrees and walked out immediately.
>>
>>7464996
Agreed actually DESU.

Asians actually have good taste and go to plays as well. Why the fuck do people make a black protag in a play when nobody in audience is black

its basically kek tier DESU
>>
File: 1422154437958.jpg (3 MB, 3200x4136) Image search: [Google]
1422154437958.jpg
3 MB, 3200x4136
>>7465151
Oh no, it's not just them.

White lads nowadays aren't exactly manly either, regardless of how long they grow their beards, how much workwear they buy, how many microbrews they sample or however many asian martial arts they pick up.
>>
>>7465259
>born in le wrong generation
>>
>>7465259

I don't even know what the fuck "manliness" means anymore.

I'm 6'1 and lift weights, and some guy the other day said that my muscle was not "real" because it was not "earned with real work".
This was said with no context of fitness or anything, just pure sour grapes on that guy.

The modern climate of criticism is so fucking annoying.
I don't give a fuck is someone has a beard and drinks micro brews.
>>
>>7465276
The fact that the first thing you went to is your height, your weightlifting and your muscle means there's a significant problem here.
>>
>>7465276
Low-class schmoes use crassness as their definition of manliness.
I don't get what the picture is going on about though, some of the stuff I kind of agree with but other stuff makes me think you have to be an ascetic monk to fit this guy's definition of man.
>>
File: 3651monksbeerjp_00000002983[1].jpg (90 KB, 575x330) Image search: [Google]
3651monksbeerjp_00000002983[1].jpg
90 KB, 575x330
>>7465289
I don't even know what the fuck "manliness" means anymore.
I'm confirmed in the Catholic Church and always keep the holy virtues closely in mind, and some guy the other day said that my humility was not "real" because it was not "earned by real suffering".
This was said with no context of ethics or anything, just pure sour grapes on that guy.
The modern climate of criticism is so fucking annoying.
I don't give a fuck is someone doesn't have beard and doesn't drink enjoy wine or beer.
>>
More often than not it's just cheap liberal signalling. In this climate of affirmative action and diversity quotas it's hard to believe that the majority of black actors get roles because they are the best man for the job.
>>
>>7464951
Patrick Stewart once played as Othello with an otherwise all-Black cast. That's kinda neat.
>>
File: 1414402815342.jpg (299 KB, 1656x992) Image search: [Google]
1414402815342.jpg
299 KB, 1656x992
>>7465259

>2015
>not revolting against the modern world
>>
>>7464977

Idris Elba could pull it off. The quintessential element of Bond is his Britishness and gentleman demeanour. Idris could capture that, easily.
>>
>>7465345

he could capture the style but not the appearance and spirit.

he's more of a villain or side-kick.
>>
>>7465345
but idris elba is african
>>
>>7465289

I brought that shit up because the dude said is was not "real".

I don't normally start posts with my height otherwise I assure you.

My point was that it does not seem to matter what you do in terms of "manliness", because the current social climate is geared towards explaining away everyone's accomplishments and being a bitter fuck.

>>7465301
well meme'd but i think the guy arguing that humility comes from "real suffering" is also being sour AF.

>>7465291

I thought that pic comes form come meme comedian guy.
Anyways making fun of "modern males" is pretty low hanging fruit.
>>
>>7465349
Some Blacks have been in England longer than many English.
The first Bond was a jockie for fuck's sake.
>>
>>7465350

>current social climate

Y'know you just used a millennia-old fable to describe said climate in your previous post?
>>
File: 1436769753727.jpg (63 KB, 396x594) Image search: [Google]
1436769753727.jpg
63 KB, 396x594
>>7465369
>Some Blacks have been in England longer than many English.

ppl actually believe this hogwash
>>
>>7465420
you keep implying I'm arguing muscles and height are manly. learn to fucking read retard.
>>
>>7465426

wat.

I invite you to do the same. That post was my first response to you in this thread.

What the fuck.
>>
>>7465019
>>7465051
K, but banana cream pies are delicious.
>>
>>7465315
Very few actors get roles purely on acting skill- it's whatever will attract attention and sell tickets, be that fame, looks, controversy. Bit weird to focus on race as an unacceptable element in that calculation.
>>
>>7465497
>Very few actors get roles purely on acting skill
In america maybe- in a lot of other countries it's pretty standard for movie actors to do theater plays too.
>>
>>7465500
Do you think the fame of an actor is not a factor in the casting of plays? The fact that film actors get parts is part of what I'm talking about.
>>
>>7464977
bond is postcolonial whiteness. he epitomizes traditional white ideas about civilization and culture.
he can be turned into another race but pretending his whiteness is an incidental part of his character is laughable. why are people so adamant about "giving" bond to the poor black people when they don't even understand the series at its most basic level?
also if I was a non-white person I'd rather have an original character instead of being given characters by white people
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.