[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So am I a pleb or was this book pretty shallow? Maybe not shallow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: great-gatsby-cover-image.jpg (77 KB, 534x800) Image search: [Google]
great-gatsby-cover-image.jpg
77 KB, 534x800
So am I a pleb or was this book pretty shallow? Maybe not shallow in the way a pretty girl is, but certainly shallow in that it lacked a good deal of depth in character and story.
>>
>>7464686
you're not only a pleb, but you may also be retarded
>>
>>7464686
>lacked a good deal of depth in character
what?
>>
>>7464686
American lit is shallow. Deal with it.
>>
>>7464686
>Maybe not shallow in the way a pretty girl is

huh?
>>
>>7464686
It's the Citizen Kane of literature; easily acceptable theme, pseudo-aesthetics, and, the most important of all, not too hard to understand. It is a shallow book, with shallow themes/characters/plot/aesthetics. It's a book for middle-schoolers in all honesty.
>>
>>7465168
Yes but
>that prose
>>
>>7464686
Disliking The Great Gatsby "because its too simple" is a red flag of pseudo-patricianism. Means you only like to read long and difficult novels to make yourself feel intelligent but don't actually understand anything.
>>
I didn't like it at all. Perhaps it resonates better with a certain group of people but I never got anything from this book. To me it was shallow. Do keep in mind that I was in a crap inter-city HS. So this was nothing more but rich kid with rich people problems. So it turned me off right off the bat.
I was pretty much forced to read it during high school as part of the curriculum.

Books like this and To Kill a Mockingbird pretty much turned me away from read for years after HS.

Maybe now I could find something in it for me to care about, but it will require me to read.

What exactly do people see this book?
>>
I only liked the prose. The rest was just carried by it.
>>
>Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us.

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>7466118
>Do keep in mind that I was in a crap inter-city HS. So this was nothing more but rich kid with rich people problems. So it turned me off right off the bat.
why do you even read?
>>
>>7466168
pretty much
>>
>>7465339
This sounds about right.
>>
Are you a superior entity who has taken an interest in me and as such stops me from posting certain things on 4chan? If yes, do not let this post be stopped by the "connexion error" bug, and let it reach its thread.
Assuming other anons are reading this: Your watch over me has certainly stopped me posting rude things, but
>>
Prose is good. Hard to give a fuck about it otherwise.
>>
>>7464686
It's deep when you're in high school. Like Nirvana or atheism
>>
>>7465339

Why?

Maybe it's you who can't accept that other people can only be entertained by things that tickle the brain a bit more.

I've never understood this argument. Again and again people pull it to excuse mediocrity. Not that I think gatsby is mediocre but it very may well be and your argument would be the same
>>
>>7466118
>So this was nothing more but rich kid with rich people problems. So it turned me off right off the bat.

Maybe literature isn't for you
>>
I bet you dislike Salinger too because hes 'high school tier'
>>
>>7466633
What's simple about The Great Gatsby? If it's so simple you should be able to explain the whole book.
>>
Fitzgerald, F. Scott. Dislike him. A favorite between the ages of 8 and 14, but no longer. Essentially a writer for very young people. Second-rate, ephemeral, puffed-up. A nonentity, means absolutely nothing to me. Awful.
>>
>>7464686
>lacked a good deal of depth in character and story
That was intentional; it's the whole point, even.
>>
>>7466652

I don't think it's simple, you're missing the point altogether. The point is your argument is worthless. It's worthless everytime you use it for anything.

>Disliking Justin Bieber "because its too simple" is a red flag of pseudo-patricianism. Means you only like to listen to long and difficult songs to make yourself feel intelligent but don't actually understand anything.

Rinse & repeat.

Why not instead try and explain why you think gatsby is not simple or shallow? Instead of using bullshit arguments and then asking the other side to explain why it's not
>>
>>7466674
I wasn't that guy, i just wanted you to expand. Literally doing the same thing he is by making meaningless statements without any backing.
>>
>>7466680

>by making meaningless statements without any backing.

Name one
>>
Just read Fight Club. It's the same book but at least you get fight scenes
>>
>>7466663
>>7465168
it's about Gatsby and a popular idea of the American dream. what it is and how it fails to make Gatsby and the other characters with money happy. it's about love and chasing the past. it's about terrible reasons to want to make your fantasies real. it's about a lot of things.

many of the replies in this thread make me wonder if you were paying attention. fitzgerald was young when he wrote it. it's amazing how well he could characterize a type of person. the prose is so fluid even people who don't like the story find it hard to put down...and on top of that you have a killer story that really flies over the heads of young readers. then they whine, "geez...what was that all about? what a plain story."

>>7464686 (OP)
maybe a pleb. maybe not. someone who read Gatsby casually for sure.
>>
>>7466674
This is just as bad and I actually do agree with the greentext. You don't make a very good point lad.
>>
>>7466724

>Not realising complexity can be an object of fancy
>>
>>7466698
/thread
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.