[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else into Umberto Eco? I find stuff like The Name of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: 360_eco_1210.jpg (28 KB, 360x239) Image search: [Google]
360_eco_1210.jpg
28 KB, 360x239
Anyone else into Umberto Eco?

I find stuff like The Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum to be a much better example of postmodernism than something like Gravity's Rainbow, but that might just be me.
>>
I picked up The Name of the Rose thinking it would be something like Mann or Hesse. What makes it postmodern? does it have some kind of zany time travel?
>>
no, and i don't like how plebs try to pretend he's any better than other pleb shit like dan brown.
>>
>>7463779
Meta concepts, mostly. The key to understanding the entire historical mystery in the novel revolves around Aristotle's second book of Poetics, on comedy, which has been lost to time.
>>
>>7463786
Foucault's Pendulum would be Dan Brown-esque if it weren't for the fact that he's laughing the entire time at people who believe in this sort of thing. It's entirely a satire.
>>
What does anyone think of Baudolino? Just picked it up today
>>
Eco is brilliant.

He's extra cool because he completely exposes pseudointellectual frauds like >>7463786 here.
>>
>>7463776
>Anyone else into Umberto Eco?

Not in particular, no. I don't like how he attacked authors who boycotted Israeli literary prizes
>>
>>7464359
>Eco told reporters that unlike McEwan, he faced no pressure from colleagues to stay away from the Israeli book fair and that he opposes boycotts. "I consider it absolutely crazy and fundamentally racist to identify a scholar, a private citizen, with the politics of his government," Eco said.

wow ur rite what a horrible person

fuck off back to /pol/
>>
>>7463776
I read Ur-Fascism after I realized I am descended from fascists and got super depressed.

It's also good as a litmus test to point at when people ask what is or isn't fascism, especially nowadays when it's the disagree-buzzword.
>>
he's basically unreadable.
>>
pure good goy garbage, imho
>>
>>7464342
>exposes
he strips down young men and exhibits them on a public platform? so it's no coincidence that he looks like allen ginsberg and is a massive faggot.
>>
>>7463786
>>7464359
>>7464409
>>7464414
>>7464419

samefag pls go
>>
>>7464431
nah man that ain't me goy
>>
I can't take him seriously as an intellectual or fiction author...He's double sided.
>>
File: 1437624599652.jpg (68 KB, 960x543) Image search: [Google]
1437624599652.jpg
68 KB, 960x543
>>7464431

>why doesn't everyone like what I like, it must all be one mean guy!!
>>
>16 replies / 8 posters
>pretending there's not a retarded amount of samefagging going on

lol /pol/ try harder
>>
File: hat wobble tier.gif (426 KB, 285x190) Image search: [Google]
hat wobble tier.gif
426 KB, 285x190
>>7464452

>16 replies
>half of those are OP telling people they are wrong about Eco

great thread!
>>
>>7464446
>>7464458
can you samefag harder jesus lol
>>
his prose is okay, I like him, but I'm not a fan of him spoonfeeding the reader his politics in a hamfisted way. He could be a lot better
>>
>>7464458
tell us more about your beloved hyperrealist OP
>>
File: umberto-eco.jpg (254 KB, 859x1023) Image search: [Google]
umberto-eco.jpg
254 KB, 859x1023
noone writes dinner scenes like him!
>>
>>7464231
It's Brilliant. His best after name of the rose in my opinion.
>>
>>7463779
The fact that doesn't present some skeleton key solution to the mess of symbolism (indeed, it does the opposite) is pretty postmodern.

It's like that Borges story, Death and the Compass.
>>
>>7464498
>his prose is okay
Do you read Italian then?
>>
He writes some great essays
>>
How is The Island of the Day Before as a first Eco if I've never read any of his other material before?
>>
>>7463776
On Ugliness is p legit
>>
OP here, I only posted about twice in this thread.

I guess he's a divisive figure or there's someone who just really hates his writing.
>>
>>7466989
It's like 2 people who samefagged 10 posts about it.
>>
Seems like what Borges would be if he were mediocre and wanted his books to have mass appeal
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.