[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the most complex and well developed character you have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 9
File: BrothersKaramazov.jpg (229 KB, 500x638) Image search: [Google]
BrothersKaramazov.jpg
229 KB, 500x638
What is the most complex and well developed character you have ever read?
>>
Don Quijote in some ways
>>
>>7461758
maybe you relate to his autism but quixote is a flat character, which is why he's supposed to be funny
>>
Gonna be an absolute faggot here and say either Will Graham or Hannibal Lecter
>>
>>7461780
people are flat in real life
>>
Hanekawa Stubasa
>>
Atticus Finch
>>
>>7461750
Leopold Bloom
>>
Hamlet
>>
>>7461750
>complex and well developed character
My god, pure pleb.
>>
>>7461850
came here to post this
>>
>>7461835
Shit taste senpai
>>
>>7461824
until you get to actually know them
>>
>>7461835

Not even trolling here but Nisioisin borrows hugely from TBK in Monogatari, at least as far as recurring relationship motifs go.

The Grushenka/polish guy and Katarina/Dimitri relationships and resolutions are mirrored in Senjogahara and Kaiki, as well as in Araragi and Tsubasa to some extent.

By this logic Nadeko is Fyodor also. I've been drafting a more thorough exploration of the idea and what it says of Nisios interpretation of Dostoyevskys work because I'm autistic as fuck and Monogatari being inspired by Dostoyevsky is interesting to me. There's actually quite a few parallels.
>>
>>7461750
William Stoner is pretty good.
>>
The Underground Man.
>>
>>7461866
Wrong.
>>
Anna Karenina
>>
File: skellington.gif (360 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
skellington.gif
360 KB, 480x480
>>7461866
People seem flat at first, then they seem to have some depth to them when you get to know them, and when you really get to know them you realise they were flat after all.

This includes oneself.
>>
Karl Ove Knaussgard
>>
>>7461824
i'm not even a catfag but i still admit she's a well developed character
>>
the protagonist in the fortress of solitude off the top of my head
>>
>>7461991

Great plot and backstory.
>>
Edith Stoner
>>
>>7461980
Man, after 6 books I feel like I know him more than I do my own brother. It's kind of creepy in a way.
>>
>>7461934
That's very true.
I'm often interested in people who seem different, original in some way but when I get to know them better I realize that they are actually driven by the same bullshit as anybody else : attention, recognition, etc.
People are boring.
>>
Ignatius Reilly
>>
>>7462113
Mankind as a whole is also paradoxically interesting for this sort of universal false front though.
>>
Constantine Dmitrich Levin
>>
>>7462139
>Mankind as a whole is also paradoxically interesting for this sort of universal false front though.

Lol wtf
Word salad
>>
>>7462120
He wasn't really complex.

Autism, basic tier hypocrisy, (pseudo-)intellectualism and awareness of one's mother being a borderline psycho don't make a character complex.

A lot of sympathy for him though.
>>
>>7462139
>>7462113
>This level of misanthropic autism
>>
>>7461914
>>7461934
it must suck to have no actual connection to anyone. do you not even know your mother?
>>
>>7462161
>>7462163
But I like people and my connections are as real as anyone elses, I just glorify them less than you lads.
>>
>>7461750
Ortho Stice
>>
>>7462163
>do you not even know your mother?
I do. What does that have to do with anything?
>>
>>7462176
It's not mysanthropic.
I love people, but if you look for interesting complex personnalities, you're bound to get disapointed.
Deep down, it's all different flavour of the same dish.
>>
>>7462208
Did you reply to the right person?
>>
>>7462208
You're so wrong though
Maybe start talking to people irl instead of reading about them in books
>>
I really doubt there's anyone more developed than Leopold Bloom from Ulysses.
>>
>>7462219
I didn't, no.
It was meant for >>7462161
>>
>>7462176
that's a bad question, you're right. if you're so stunted you're not able to see the depth of people around you, i doubt you'd be able to see your mother as something other than the person who gives you chicken nuggies.
>>
>>7462243
>>7461850
>>7461857

What's up with all of you finding Bloom *this* complex? Is it cause he embraces his life despite it being so shit and acts like all's coolwhich is what everyone on /lit/ would do if they were a bit more manly?
>>
>>7462222
I don't know.
Maybe I do tend to give up on people too quickly and limit myself to superficial relationships, it's not impossible.
But I doubt it somehow.
Let's say I hope you're right and I still have a lot to learn about human beings.
/end diary
>>
>>7462300
You do
I used to feel the same way until I Did shrooms and acid (not that it was really necessary)
Now I'm extremely interested in people.
>>
>>7462266
>i doubt you'd be able to see your mother as something other than the person who gives you chicken nuggies
I am though.
>>
>>7462294
no it's because ulysses is so confusing that nobody really knows what it's about apart from ireland, masturbation and the greeks
>>
Finnegan from Finnegan's Wake
>>
>>7462545
>'
>>
>>7461750
Moby Dick, the captain of the SS Ahab.
>>
>>7461919
>Anna Karenina
She seemed fully formed for awhile, but then at the end she seemed flat.
>>
This thread reminded me of my aunt's husband. He is the strangest person I ever saw, I can never understand his motive. It is as if he has a religion that orders him to obey and be subordinate and nothing else. Even his retarded 5 year old boy's retarded friends boss him around, and he is happy about this.
How would I go about turning him into a character? I never wrote prose before, so I don't know if there is a certain way to develop characters more precisely.
I already have a story in mind: Summer house: Him and his son and his son's loli cousin who are in love in one house. He is being himself, and I, the narrator, am trying to find his motive, and eventually connect it to him loving the loli
because, infact, I love the loli and am very paranoid that everyone else has an affection for her and she responds
>>
The guy from The Cossacks.
>>
>>7462534
Pleb.
>>
>>7462534
Heh

The most confusing parts don't have Leo in them though.

Some people find Circe outstandingly hard, which is full Leo psyche clusterfuck indeed, but that doesn't really point out his complexity
>>
>>7462545
kek
>>
Naco Bush, the dick bandit
>>
The Greeks.
>>
Socrates
>>
>>7461750
he's complex in a way
>>
>>7462828
Underrated answer.
>>
>>7462850
>autistic know-it-all 'trolling' randoms and talking shit about his friends

totes complex
>>
>>7462615

What do you base the ultimate flatness of Anna Karenina on?
>>
>>7462909
She got flattened by the train.
>>
Mason and Dixon
>>
It's Leopold Bloom, but that's the obvious, boring answer.

Jane Eyre, Dante in the Divine Comedy, Bernard from The Waves...
>>
>>7462859
Socrates seemed like a pretty chill guy
Don't be mean
>>
Wyatt Gwyon, in his realism and absurdity he is developed from early childhood on.
>>
Only real answer is Jesus Christ.
>>
>>7461901
yee
>>
>>7461750
Alexei Fyodorovich
>>
>>7461889
I haven't read TBK yet but I love the Monogatari series. Yes I'm a pleb. Besides that maybe I should actually try to make it past the first hundred pages this time, your post makes me think.
>>
File: 1446569609394.jpg (108 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1446569609394.jpg
108 KB, 640x640
>>7461889
post another thread about this when you're done. The Monogatari series is really well made.
inb4 weeb
i just like that show
>>
NOT A BOOK BUT

Frank from True Detective. No, I'm not joking.

He's one of the most human characters I've seen on TV, especially in a show that often plays with genre. He works because his entire life had been a shitshow. He talks weird because he wants to look smarter than he is. He's a gangster who wants to be a businessman but utterly fucking fails and a remorseless killer who attempts to help everyone he meets. He's a guy who believes in values in a trade that has none, in a world that kills everyone like him.

I dunno. It's hard to describe, because a lot of those things sound simpler than they are. Wonky dialogue aside, I liked Frank a lot.
>>
Hamlet. It's the easiest answer, but, it's the best answer.
>>
>>7462424
Though I enjoy psychedelics myself I don't feel that they give good reason to assume depth of humanity. The use of psychedelics is an adulterant to entity interaction.
>>
>>7464126
Is Frank the big tall guy in that Santa Claus movie with rachel weisz? I think he's left handed.
Or is Frank the villain in that Ben Affleck movie?
>>
>>7462139
>have you ever been so far as to look do like more as?
>>
>>7461750
Jason Bourne
>>
>>7464189
entity interaction? what?
>>
Any other fans of the Southern Reach trilogy?

I always liked Control. Just a suit trying to do something right but fucking it all up because everyone uses him as a tool.
>>
>>7462294
he's just incredibly nuanced. Seeing his thoughts and him coping with the knowledge of what Molly is up to, his decision to watch over Stephen that night, his run-in with the Cyclops, his little love letters...he's flawed, but a good guy. The nuances are incredible
>>
>>7464258
this desu senpai
>>
Odysseus
>>
>>7462139
I understand you bb, you're right.
>>
>>7461750
Oedipa Maas
and I thought Chigurh in the book was a subte portrait of a sociopathic killer
>>
>>7462981
this

and/or milton's satan.
>>
>>7464126
if frank had any redeeming value as a character, vince vaughn's acting ability and pizzolatto's dead ear for dialogue destroyed it.
>>
>>7464260
Your (real or imagined) ghost in the machine communicating with another. The psychedelics change your signalling and signal receiving capacities while you're under the influence, so with someone else tripping with you, each of you are sending and receiving garbled signals.

But maybe you see it differently?
>>
>>7464341
pynchon character's are caricatures, i find it hard to say oedipa is all that complex. i think she's just deluded/paranoid
>>
File: 1416478937631.jpg (216 KB, 1280x1260) Image search: [Google]
1416478937631.jpg
216 KB, 1280x1260
>>7461889
Funny thing, I'm just coming back from watching Perfect Blue and I had the thought while I was seeing it, that the only other place I've felt that neurotic, urban mono-no-aware-ness I so often get from Japanese art is in Dosto's writings.

Pic related is also quite reminiscent of the UG-man, now that I think about it.
>>
Humbert Humbert is like the most fucking obvious and no one mentioned him.

Fuck this board.

I'm back to /tv/
>>
File: deep.jpg (43 KB, 500x414) Image search: [Google]
deep.jpg
43 KB, 500x414
>>7464394
please do

humbert is clever but one dimensional, and not even particularly subtle about it, he tells you himself when talking about Annabel.

that he happens to be a pedophile doesn't make him complex.
>>
>>7464394
This post is in dire need of the word "cunnyfu".
>>
>>7461889
snek confirmed best girltari
>>
>>7461901
this is actually a great answer. I couldn't think of one myself, because I tend towards post-modernist, non-personal narratives (how deep can an author REALLY make a character before it becomes his nut-wrenching faggot tear confessions). But this has my vote.
>>
File: 1446261872262.jpg (759 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1446261872262.jpg
759 KB, 1920x1080
>>7464436
Was there ever any doubt?
>>
>>7462981

this. especially since he and Lucifer share a name.

People use fiction as models for their lives. The stronger the fiction, the more compelling the novel. Jesus Christ is a complex enough character to irrevocably change the world and still have that fucking acronym WWJD appear everywhere. He is printed more than any other character. But more pertinent to this conversation, he is misunderstood more than any other character.
>>
Boris in The Goldfinch is the first one to come to mind. I liked him. He'd be cool friend to have, especially when he become a boss at the end.
>>
>>7462001
Superman?
>>
The Retard from Dostoyevsji's "A Dumb Person"
>>
>>7461889
>>
>>7464327
Thanks family, I honestly don't see what's so hard about that sentence for these other lads.
>>
>>7464358
The dialogue was weird. But Vaughn did well. Frank was always supposed to be uncomfortable as a businessman, awkward and unconvincing. That came across. He felt a lot more natural when he started to get sincere - when he had to comfort Stan's kid or beat the shit out of various people. It's too bad that he didn't get a chance to stretch his legs until halfway through the season, but once the ball got rolling on Frank, Vaughn carried it very well.

Except for the scenes with Jordan, but I blame them on Jessica Reilly. She was the weak link in the cast.
>>
>>7464067

I will for sure. /lit/ is literally the only place on the internet where you might find a relatively large population of people who enjoy both Monogatari and TBK
>>
Alyosha Karamazov
The Underground Man
William Stoner
>>
>>7462266
>chicken nuggies
they're call tendies m8
>>
>>7462625
help, anyone?
>>
File: 850822.jpg (29 KB, 306x468) Image search: [Google]
850822.jpg
29 KB, 306x468
>>7461750

Ulrich
>>
>>7461980
only correct answer, who do you know better than yourself? Not even Proust was as honest.
>>
>>7465619

>Alyosha Karamazov

You really think so? I thought him by far the least complex of the brothers, including Smerdyakov.
>>
>>7466572
>Brothers
>Including Smerdyakov

Spoilers
>>
Not literature but Tony Soprano. Also Leopold Bloom.
>>
>>7461991
meant for >>7461835
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.