[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is worth reading the bible if I am agnostic? Why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 134741358226771 (1).jpg (382 KB, 898x1474) Image search: [Google]
134741358226771 (1).jpg
382 KB, 898x1474
Is worth reading the bible if I am agnostic? Why?
>>
Of course.
It's full of good shit, even if you're just reading it so you can catch all the allusions other works make to it.
>>
because kjv is to english literature what homer was to the greeks. it's the cultural foundation of the whole thing.

and by whole thing i mean western civilization
>>
>>7459474
douay-rheims*
>>
File: weeping jesus.jpg (163 KB, 710x900) Image search: [Google]
weeping jesus.jpg
163 KB, 710x900
>>7459450
>massive episodic non-linear creation tale with hundreds of characters that are all satisfyingly linked back into a greater overarching story
>is it worth reading
>>
>>7460030
>reading for the plot
>>
>>7459450
Yes, as an atheist. Read KJV for prose. >>7459474 gets it. It's the single most important literary work in western canon.
>>
>>7459450
>is it worth taking in a good chunk of the western world's greatest artistic achievements if i'm agnostic? i mean they might have jesus and stuff
>>
>should I read the pillar of western civilization
>>
yes. it's one of the corner stones of western literature. this shouldn't be hard to understand.
>>
>>7460069
douay-rheims*
>>
How can I decide which version to read? Should I just stick with kjv?
>>
>>7460393
anything besides KJV is complete shill, the meaning and words have been changed so much that its not even the same book
>>
>>7460393
KJV if you're in it more for the literature and writing than scripture, as it's translation is far from perfect. NRSV for better translation but meh prose, same with Rheims
+ read Apocrypha to see it all
>>
>>7459450
yes
if you're determined to bring up your agnosticism, it'll at least guarantee that you'll have a better chance debating those gosh-darned theistic losers you hate so much
>>
Genesis, First couple books of Exodus, Job, Ecclesiastes, the Gospels, and Revelations are worth reading from the KJV.
>>
Just read this:
http://www.amazon.com/Literature-Bible-Joseph-Frank/dp/0316291811
>>
>>7459474
Even though I am a Christian, I am curious as to what influences the Bible had on Western literature.
>>
>>7459450
I think it's good to look into mythology and religion despite whatever personal beliefs. Helped to adjust my own perspective a little for the better. Maybe you'll even enjoy the stories.
>>
>>7460522
Have you ever read any western literature? It should be fairly obvious to someone who's even read a basic high school reading list.
>>
No, the Bible is not worth reading, the book itself is poorly written, KJV included. But it'd be worth reading about the myths and characters because they frequently crop up.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.