[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm planning on working on a book, somewhat inspired by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
I'm planning on working on a book, somewhat inspired by Crime and Punishment, about an Orthodox nun who murders a corrupt bishop.

Is it a decent premise? or is it shit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC0Lzzeda1I
>>
Sounds interesting
>>
It doesn't matter about plot per se but how you are able to get it down on paper.
>>
>>7458700
Thanks

>>7458759
Plot matters a lot if you aren't an established writer or don't have an MFA.
>>
I dig it op, good luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uMHzFn3zs8
>>
>>7458761
>Plot matters a lot if you aren't an established writer or don't have an MFA.
So you're not really looking to write a good book just to sell copies?
How you write says a lot, already.
>>
>>7458691
They have nuns?
And are their bishops even called bishops?
>>
>>7458811
I'm looking to get published and promoted. I'm not trying to simply pander to the market, but there has to be something with mass appeal or else publishers won't be interested, and even if they do punish it, they won't promote it worth shit if there isn't a plot with market appeal.

Just because plot is important if you have no name, doesn't mean you have write shitty. It just means you can'r marginalize plot, as you're suggesting.
>>
I like the premise. You might want to read Doubt, it could deal with some similar themes you'd explore in your story. I'd definitely check the book out, though.
>>
>>7458691
go for it, op
>>
File: 6rs.jpg (82 KB, 467x700) Image search: [Google]
6rs.jpg
82 KB, 467x700
>>7458764
Thanks

>>7458827
I'm Orthodox.

Bishop is just the Anglicization of episkopos.

Nuns are just female monks, of course we have them, Orthodox Christianity is an extremely monastic religion (in fact, bishops are exclusively drawn from monastic clergy).
>>
>>7458850
Yeah that's why I found the usage of bishop strange. It's also latin and not anglo term.
>>
File: 31e.jpg (126 KB, 666x900) Image search: [Google]
31e.jpg
126 KB, 666x900
>>7458834
>>7458841
Thanks much for your input, fellas.

>>7458850
Here is one of our most celebrated nuns (pic related), I suggest you read about her, she's very inspirational: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Elisabeth_of_Hesse_and_by_Rhine_(1864%E2%80%931918)
>>
>>7458861
The Latin term is episcopus
>>
why? is it going to be a feminist critique of the church?
>>
>>7459172
No. It's going to explore themes similar to Crime and Punishment.
>>
>>7459770
in what way is your book different?
you're going to need something better than "oh its like this other classic book" to sell it

you dont write a book about whaling and have it well received because its 'like' moby dick
>>
>>7458828
Your execution still matters. Anyone can come up with a somewhat intriguing idea.
>>
>>7459808
Well obviously the nun is going to be motivated by twisting Christianity to justify it, so quite a difference.

>>7459847
You mean prose?
>>
>>7458691
Good luck trying to make an interesting female character
>>
File: Hells_Angels-05.jpg (99 KB, 309x476) Image search: [Google]
Hells_Angels-05.jpg
99 KB, 309x476
/lit/ only likes rape apologists and holocaust deniers.
>>
>>7458691
Sounds like one my of Sade books 2bh
>>
>>7460866

That's patently untrue, I don't like anything.
>>
Good stuff OP. Do your research, put your all in. I'd read
>>
>>7460918
Thanks.
>>
File: blood-sister.jpg (141 KB, 485x750) Image search: [Google]
blood-sister.jpg
141 KB, 485x750
>>7458691

There's already a movie of that, OP.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.