[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished East of Eden and I really liked it. Definitely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: EastOfEden.jpg (42 KB, 284x410) Image search: [Google]
EastOfEden.jpg
42 KB, 284x410
Just finished East of Eden and I really liked it. Definitely my favourite of Steinbeck so far. Great scenery, memorable characters (Samuel and Lee) and I can't help but think about it.

What are your thoughts/opinions it?
>>
Olive's chapter was delightful. Lee helps me to see my own tribulations somewhat more objectively, or at least try to. Kate is a train wreck that I couldn't look away from, even after the cuteness has been sapped out of her. Aron's a sweetheart, Cal's a glimmer of hope in a drama that plays itself out again and again. But everyone's got a bit of both brothers about them, I think. Samuel's character reminds me to appreciate those few friends who won't just tell me what they think I want to hear. It's wisely written, I liked it far better than Of Mice and Men.

One thing gets me to this day. What does Cathy lack what guarantee do I have that I don't lack it also?

Good read, anon. You might like The Once And Future King. Timshel.
>>
Now where's all the patricians who've supposedly read this?
>>
>>7451338
This was my slut ex gf's favorite book. I encourage you to burn it.
>>
>>7451338
Is this book actually good?
>>
>>7451948
Of course not. Everything john shitbeck wrote is communist propaganda and his books should be avoided under all circumstances.
>>
>>7451948
Yes it is
>>
>>7451948
Yes, you won't regret reading it

>>7451507
>It's wisely written
Totally, reading it I got the feeling of listening to an old man telling me all the things he learned during his life

>One thing gets me to this day. What does Cathy lack and what guarantee do I have that I don't lack it also?
I guess in that way we are all Cal
>>
DUDE TIMSHEL LMAO

great book t b h. steinbeck is one of a kind family
>>
I picked up a theme of Samuel willfully putting himself in a bad position, resulting in relative poverty
-buying shitty land
-buying a horse with no redeeming qualities
-buying white instead of gray doves (commonly seen as bad luck, this one might be more because of him being lead by rationality)

Would you agree with this and why do you think he did it? Is it part of his "rejection of greatness"?
>>
>>7451338
yeah the best ending to any of his books. simple yet hits you like a sledgehammer.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.