[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
dubliners
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 51zFZAlPikL.jpg (40 KB, 298x500) Image search: [Google]
51zFZAlPikL.jpg
40 KB, 298x500
I want to read dubliners, is this edition good or should I go with the oxford one?
>>
The text is the same, who gives a shit if it's not translated?
>>
Id personally skip dubliners and go straight for Ulysses or portrait (preferably Ulysses). I couldn't make it past 3 stories without wanting to snooze
>>
>>7451211
Dubliners is important for Ulysses.
>>
>/lit/ - amazon reviews
how about you make a thread when you've read the book
>>
>>7451211
>going straight to Ulysses without at least reading Portrait first

r u wanna die?
>>
>>7451211
ah, another of the 95% who didn't understand Ulysses. unless this is a troll, wouldn't surprise me if not though.
>>
>>7451208
this 2bh
Editions only really matter if it's about translations, if it's in english then even fucking wordsworth will suffice.
>>
>>7451224
He's right I tried twice and the first time I thought my head was going to blow up. I know I'm no genius but for fucks sake I got depressed the first time I tried reading it. Dubliners and Portrait are great starting points.
>>
>>7451239
>ah, another of the 95% who didn't understand Ulysses.

Well aren't you just a smug little cunt.
>>
File: NOYOU.jpg (29 KB, 640x454) Image search: [Google]
NOYOU.jpg
29 KB, 640x454
>>7451286
>didn't understand Ulysses
>butthurt
>edgy profanity
:^)
>>
>>7451208
this. just go whatever cover/text you like more
>>
>>7451298
You aren't a special snowflake if you think you "get" what Ulysses is about. It's a straightforward book, it's just the language that gets a bit tricky at parts. Keep acting like you're part of the literati cultural elite though.
>>
if it's in english it doesn't matter. have fun, it's a great read. favorite stories?

>araby
>a little cloud
>the dead
>>
it's fine just read it
>>
>>7451319
>It's a straightforward book

Plotwise, yes. Everything else, absolutely not, and you are a naive reader if you think otherwise. It has many layers of meaning that are not straightforward at all.
>>
File: 1449093150607.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1449093150607.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
>>7451319
You sure told him!
>>
>>7451205
I found the font a bit too large and the texture of the paper was too rough on my delicate hands :/
>>
>>7451344
He implied the plot was the straightforward part you twat
>>
>>7451205
>reading a portrait of the artist as a young man
>uses words and references i don't understand
>find "joyce annotated" book online which explains everything
>longer than the actual novel
why do i need a book to translate another book, why does joyce use so many memes?
>>
>>7451488
he implied nothing you scumfuck degenerate bastard
>>
>>7451205
Yeah man that one is a better translation from the Irish.

What the fuck are you talking about? Just get either the cheapest one or the one you like the cover of best.
>>
>>7454376
thanks for bumping a worthless thread with a worthless response
>>
lol I just wrote an essay on Araby
>>
>>7452829
Because Joyce was writing for an educated audience. How is it his fault if you don't know any latin or irish history?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.